Post Race Depression (Read 1073 times)

Running Ahead'ers,

I've grown to admire you as friends here, and I'm going to ask you for a little help.  You can say "no" if you can't help or aren't willing to help.  You can ignore this post if you choose.

As you may know, a couple of months ago, I did my Ironman.  I "climbed my Everest".  That was great and amazing.  It consumed my life for years and allowed me to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish.  For race report, see here

However, now, I'm in a funk.  I believe that it's called "post race depression."  I don't think I need medical help, I need motivation.

I'm able to run a few miles. 

I'm "functioning".

But, I'm out of balance mentally and physically, and need to become balanced and motivated.

By way of example, yesterday, I stood in the pool at the gym for 5 minutes before walking out to sit in the sauna.  My head never got wet.

I need motivation!

Maybe it's a BQ.

Maybe it's another Ironman.

Maybe it's an ultra-marathon.

Maybe it's 365 consecutive days running.

Maybe it's x miles per year.

There's something in me that NEEDS to be driven.  Right now, I'm not.

I haven't had this before, and hope to have a goal within the next couple of weeks so that I can wake up from this funk and become balanced.

Guide me.

Cheers,
    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

All those "maybe" goals are so long term. Big goals like that can seem pretty daunting.

How about something short term? Some speed maybe? Have some fun. Sign up for a 5K. A short trail race.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

If you want a little more excitement in your training, and a different focus, train to run your fastest mile ever. Then do it. 

Either that, or sit on the couch, grab a pint of Ben & Jerrys and get fat. That will motivate you :-)

That funk is normal for me and it starts with 'I have all this extra time now that I'm not running'.  It doesn't last long and always feels like it's a forever-feeling.

Personally I'd probably pick up a book, maybe on how to BQ (Run Less, Run Faster), or an Ultra Running Book (Run!, or Ultra Running With Scott Jurek).  When I read how much infinitely more effort someone else is putting into their training, it reminds me how much more I could be doing. 

Gstrobe188

Try a duathlon.

5k 22:22, Quarter Marathon 52:45, Mini Duathlon 1:00:14

#artbydmcbride

{{Kercando}}    Just find a goal that excites you.   Any races around that you think you can compete for an age group award?

Runners run

bhearn

Of course, you need a goal. Training is always going to be a slog without one.

PRs are always a good bet. What's your favorite distance? How much work will it take to get faster at it?

I may be wrong, but I think you're still in the easy spot. The challenge occurs when every PR you find interesting requires an enormous training investment. Then you have to find new interesting things to train for, or find the time and energy to keep going a step beyond.

Just a thought, but is taking a couple of weeks off an option? Maybe you're not physically overtrained, but perhaps you need a chance to recharge mentally.

Not saying that's the best option for you. I get nuts if I take two days off in a row, never mind two weeks. But you should look at all of your options.

Just a thought, but is taking a couple of weeks off an option? Maybe you're not physically overtrained, but perhaps you need a chance to recharge mentally.

Not saying that's the best option for you. I get nuts if I take two days off in a row, never mind two weeks. But you should look at all of your options.

I took about 6 weeks off from training, with the 1st 2 weeks doing absolutely nothing other than rest.  The 3rd week was a family vacation.

After those 3 weeks, I spent another 3 weeks running 1 day a week and playing some volleyball.  Basically, just relaxing as well.

Beginning July 1st, I set out to begin training again, but I don't know what I'm training for.  I'm just getting out of the house (or the office) to do something.

So, I did take 6+ weeks off, and I'm now looking to get busy again and set a goal.

(Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  Keep them coming.  I've been reading them)

Life Goals:

xhristopher

Perhaps find a group to run and/or ride with or do a weekly race series?

Training for the mile (even if you never race one) is a good suggestion, got me out of my post race blues a couple of times after slogging through a summer training for longer races. Running 200's and 400's all out also can be fun. 

.... or sit on the couch, grab a pint of Ben & Jerrys and get fat. That will motivate you :-)

And yes, that's a part of what brings me to y'all today.

I'm motivated, but not quite motivated.

In all seriousness, though....

When I was training 10 hours per week, I ate a lot!

Since I finished my race, I can't say that I made significant changes to my diet.

(Calories in, no calories out....)

I haven't gained weight, but being diabetic has put a tiny bit of fear in me to get myself going again and making sure that I control my blood.

Life Goals:

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

KerCanDo: I run into this problem every time I finish a major goal, whether it be body related or mind related.  When I finished some graduate study in philosophy I had finished some long papers and my projects for the semester -- then I felt revealed not to have all that work on my shoulder, but empty.  Same thing when the year ended and I had read my goal of 52 books for the year.

My wife was the first to notice this trend: every time I complete a project the zeal for life seeps from my eyes during the "relaxation" period afterward.  So far, the only solution has been to find a new project (hence running a marathon).  I still haven't solved how to deal with the between project time, other than trying not to be as grumpy with Mrs. Stadjak.

As your body probably still needs the rest, you might pick a mind-project.  Or maybe refinish the boat in the backyard.  Just log some easy miles every day so you don't go too flat, but make it an integrated part of your life, rather than a means to an end.  Then, after your non-running goal is finished look for a running goal when your body is ready for more work.

But if you solve the "between projects" problem, please let me know.  Mrs. Stadjak will put you on the x-mas card list for years!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

MoBramExam

Perhaps find a group to run and/or ride with or do a weekly race series?

+1

Race series was first idea that popped into my head.

Why is it sideways?

You just put in a very serious cycle, and chances are what's keeping you from getting back at it is the thought of how hard you worked in that cycle. 10+ hours of training a week is serious commitment.

Just know that you've got a lot of low-hanging fruit (especially in running) that you can pick on more moderate, less time intensive training. You don't have to repeat what you just did, and in fact probably repeating what you just did would likely be a bad training decision that would lead to serious burnout.

So, I like the suggestion of going for a mile PR or a 5k PR. See how fast you can get on 35-40mpw. You might surprise yourself.