Post Race Depression (Read 1073 times)

Just know that you've got a lot of low-hanging fruit (especially in running) that you can pick on more moderate, less time intensive training. You don't have to repeat what you just did, and in fact probably repeating what you just did would likely be a bad training decision that would lead to serious burnout.

So, I like the suggestion of going for a mile PR or a 5k PR. See how fast you can get on 35-40mpw. You might surprise yourself.

I fear burnout!  I don't want that.

I like the suggestions regarding the 1 mile PR and the 5k PR (as a few have suggested).

I'm confident that I'd PR in my 1st 1 mile attempt (since I've never run a 1 mile run).  I don't even know where I'd "race" a race that short. 

Are you suggesting PR by just running it, or finding races that run 1 mile events?

Also, my 5k PR is pretty slow (since I've only run 1 5k in my life, and finished about 27 minutes).  

I'm hoping to beat George Bush speed and have considered the goal of saying that I can run faster than him. 

In fact, for all race distances other than the 1/2 marathon (5k, 10k, marathon, olympic distance triathlon, 1/2 Ironman, and Ironman), I've raced each of those distances only 1 time (I think).  For smaller triathlons (sprint distance), I've never repeated a race entry the following year.

For the 1/2 marathon, I've raced 3 times.

Maybe shorter distances are calling my name this fall.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

kcam

Yep, low-hanging fruit for the taking.  When I click on your Personal Records list (which I consider to be a RA'ers Running Resumé) I see that it is sorely lacking.  Maybe make a goal of filling out your running resumé and try to improve that resumé year-after-year.  Seeking out those races and training for / running them can be quite fulfilling.

* added accents and also want to make clear that I'm not dogging anyone who isn't into running all distances of race for times.  Just suggesting something that has really made a difference for me.

DoppleBock

I put every ounce of life into preparing for a race in 2010 - It took until this February while running a winter 50k trail race to decided I cared about running again ~ 19 months of just going through the motions.

What I learned is I cannot put every ounce of life into one event that will be over.  I need to keep nuturing the other parts of me and my life at least a minimum amount, making them important too. 

Although I care about getting back into top form this year - I am patient and have many other non-running life goals I am trying to hit too.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Yep, low-hanging fruit for the taking.  When I click on your Personal Records list (which I consider to be a RA'ers Running Resumé) I see that it is sorely lacking.  Maybe make a goal of filling out your running resumé and try to improve that resumé year-after-year.  Seeking out those races and training for / running them can be quite fulfilling.

* added accents and also want to make clear that I'm not dogging anyone who isn't into running all distances of race for times.  Just suggesting something that has really made a difference for me.

I seldom go to the PR section, and it took me quite a while now just to find it....

In the little defense I have regarding my race resume, I've only raced a 4 times (???) since I started logging information on RA.

I started using RA 1/1/2011.

Before that, I ran my 1 and only (5k, 10k, and marathon).

My marathon PR was from Dec '09 (3:43:45), my 1/2 marathon PR was from Dec '10 (1:41:30), and I don't remember my other PR's.

But, what's showing isn't a true representation of my PR's.

BTW, my 5:11:10 marathon PR that's showing was preceded by 7+ hours of other stuff on a hot day in Houston in May... Smile

But, I understand the message of your post, and appreciate it.

Thanks.

MTA: updated my PR's by adding the races I know about from before I joined RA

Life Goals:

That funk is normal for me and it starts with 'I have all this extra time now that I'm not running'.  It doesn't last long and always feels like it's a forever-feeling.

Personally I'd probably pick up a book, maybe on how to BQ (Run Less, Run Faster), or an Ultra Running Book (Run!, or Ultra Running With Scott Jurek).  When I read how much infinitely more effort someone else is putting into their training, it reminds me how much more I could be doing. 

Thank you!

Purchased Run Less, Run Faster.

Tonight, I'll be reading.

Gracias!

Life Goals:

Hey guys,

It's been a LONG time since I've posted on RA.  There was a time when I actively browsed the forums and actively participated in conversations.  But about 4 years ago, I stopped abruptly with only a post or 2 since then.

Today, I found this specific thread.

4 years ago, I stopped posting because I was severely depressed.  Not suicidal, but severely lost and unable to function normally.

There were hints of depression prior to 2016 (see this post), but I brushed off those hints of depression and chalked them up to "post race depression" where I didn't need medical help.  At the bottom of this post, I wrote "there's something in me that NEEDS to be driven" (no emphasis added from original)....

I now know that the "NEED" I spoke about was an avoidance to tackle larger challenges I was facing.  I was lost and was actively hiding my sorrow and frustration and discontentment to "defer" and "push away" those demons that drove my mind.

4 years ago, I sought professional help and have actively been pursuing contentment outside of "activity goals".

I've still raced races.  
              I've still remained connected with a couple of you who have been super kind and gracious to me through this forum while knowing very little about my challenges.  
              I've lost connections with some of you who have inspired me to get professional help while discussing some deep items that plagued me over the years.  Thank you.

I'm can only guess that some of you might be similar to me and where I was 8 years ago when I wrote this original post.  
              Don't hide behind training.
              Seek the help you might need.  It'll be tough but worth it when you're on the other side.

Cheers,
              Brian

Running Ahead'ers,

I've grown to admire you as friends here, and I'm going to ask you for a little help.  You can say "no" if you can't help or aren't willing to help.  You can ignore this post if you choose.

As you may know, a couple of months ago, I did my Ironman.  I "climbed my Everest".  That was great and amazing.  It consumed my life for years and allowed me to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish.  For race report, see here

However, now, I'm in a funk.  I believe that it's called "post race depression."  I don't think I need medical help, I need motivation.

I'm able to run a few miles. 

I'm "functioning".

But, I'm out of balance mentally and physically, and need to become balanced and motivated.

By way of example, yesterday, I stood in the pool at the gym for 5 minutes before walking out to sit in the sauna.  My head never got wet.

I need motivation!

Maybe it's a BQ.

Maybe it's another Ironman.

Maybe it's an ultra-marathon.

Maybe it's 365 consecutive days running.

Maybe it's x miles per year.

There's something in me that NEEDS to be driven.  Right now, I'm not.

I haven't had this before, and hope to have a goal within the next couple of weeks so that I can wake up from this funk and become balanced.

Guide me.

Cheers,
              Brian

Life Goals:

Luciplay

Post-race depression is common than most of us think. I guess we just need to focus more on the whole experience and process rather than the finish line, keep our running buddies close, and sign up for another one.

Since I wrote this 30 days ago, the world has shifted and changed in a manner that might make this more relevant than it was 30 days ago.

Possibly not.

Regardless, these past 30 days have been hard for me as well, with added stress and additional "silence".

I trust that you're all doing well and would hope that all of you value things apart from being driven to succeed or meet race goals.  I would embrace engaging in conversations via PM or through this thread.

Cheers,
                  Brian

Hey guys,

It's been a LONG time since I've posted on RA.  There was a time when I actively browsed the forums and actively participated in conversations.  But about 4 years ago, I stopped abruptly with only a post or 2 since then.

Today, I found this specific thread.

4 years ago, I stopped posting because I was severely depressed.  Not suicidal, but severely lost and unable to function normally.

There were hints of depression prior to 2016 (see this post), but I brushed off those hints of depression and chalked them up to "post race depression" where I didn't need medical help.  At the bottom of this post, I wrote "there's something in me that NEEDS to be driven" (no emphasis added from original)....

I now know that the "NEED" I spoke about was an avoidance to tackle larger challenges I was facing.  I was lost and was actively hiding my sorrow and frustration and discontentment to "defer" and "push away" those demons that drove my mind.

4 years ago, I sought professional help and have actively been pursuing contentment outside of "activity goals".

I've still raced races.  
                  I've still remained connected with a couple of you who have been super kind and gracious to me through this forum while knowing very little about my challenges.  
                  I've lost connections with some of you who have inspired me to get professional help while discussing some deep items that plagued me over the years.  Thank you.

I'm can only guess that some of you might be similar to me and where I was 8 years ago when I wrote this original post.  
                  Don't hide behind training.
                  Seek the help you might need.  It'll be tough but worth it when you're on the other side.

Cheers,
                  Brian

Life Goals:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Take care, Brian. We'll get through this together, but separately, if you know what I mean.

PDoe

Thanks for stepping up.

I have a son who 'fights the battle'. He's thousands of miles away and I worry fiercely about him there. Part of the battle is recognition and understanding from others.

Thanks for sharing. I wish you all the best.

Thank you!

It definitely was the hardest step I've ever taken.

I masked deep depression by running and being consumed with exercise.  I was seeking PRs, longer distances, and long training hours to hide away some pain from my past that I hadn't processed.

I was literally running away from the pain and refused to stop and tackle it and fight against that pain.

The little image to the left was THE DAY that I realized that I needed help.  8/9/2015.

Ironman 70.3 in Benton Harbor Michigan.

That face of determination was a face of complete focus to run away from an incredibly painful day I experienced the previous day.

During that race, I vowed to get help afterwards because I could not live like that anymore.

That race weekend will ALWAYS be a point in time that separates me from who I was in the past and who I am now.

--

My fear is that some of you might have battles, and stopping the rat race due to Corona Virus might be painful for you.

My hope is that some of you might face your battles head on and be better because of it.

Cheers,
                        Brian

Thanks for stepping up.

I have a son who 'fights the battle'. He's thousands of miles away and I worry fiercely about him there. Part of the battle is recognition and understanding from others.

Thanks for sharing. I wish you all the best.

Life Goals:

dohertysalman

I have the same problem as this, so thanks for the advice guys

mornigstar

post race depression is dangerous for race

mornigstar

link spam