Garmin lust (Read 920 times)

1.) Can it be cured? Once it grabs you can you get out of its grips? 2.) Has anybody actually cured themselves of this affliction? and 3.) Is there anybody out there that bought one and then later regretted it? (oh my particular strand of the condition is the garmin 305/405 variety but it looks more like the 305 strand)
      3.) Is there anybody out there that bought one and then later regretted it?
      Personally, I rarely use the heart-rate function, so I *could've* saved some $ and gone 205... otherwise, no way, no how I'd want to be without it.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

A little help here... my will power is fading

The Greatest of All Time

My 405 will be here tomorrow. I would wait for a review before you jump in. Just sayin'
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sorry, can't help you. I LOVE mine. To be able to head out and run wherever I want, but still know how far I've run, is wonderful. It's useful during races, too. Now I just have to learn to push the buttons quicker to find what time it is when someone asks me! That happened Saturday, and it was embarrassing how long it took me to figure it out.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You've come to the wrong place, my friend.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My legs are killing me

I was once in your shoes. Garmin denial. "Should I spend the money or not". I would have to say if you enjoy running and you've been doing it a while then buying one is worth it. Just to have the ability to run where ever you like and making up courses as you go makes it worth every penny.

over 9000!!!

I bought the original Forerunner 101 more than 3 years ago... Its been the single greatest peice of running gear I have ever used. I have never had a tech prob with it and I cant imagine how cool some of the newer ones would be with their software and HR monitors. 4 thumbs up!!! (busting out my big toes for this one Wink
                    I love #'s... not so much when I run but after... I love to look back and see how fast I went. Especially on days I think I went really slow.. or days I thought I ran easy... sometime I find the truth is not what I thought it was... also with good record keeping you notice things... small progress. I can't imagine how much more fun looking at the numbers will be when I have accurate information... and top that off with HR data... it will bring a whole new level or understanding to percieved effort... I think the denial is over. Now it is just a matter of when I will do something about my problem... oh no... you know where this is going to lead... 305 vs 405... doh...
                      1.) Can it be cured? Once it grabs you can you get out of its grips? 2.) Has anybody actually cured themselves of this affliction?
                      I cured my affliction..... I bought a 305.
                      JakeKnight

They really are just about the coolest gadgets ever. If it makes you feel better, I don't think its a completely pointless addiction. While I almost never use the HRM (maybe 3 times since I got it), the actual device is enormously useful for both training and racing. So its really not just a frivolous toy. Its like having a little coach on your wrist. Its immensely helpful for pacing in longer races. In other words, it makes you a better runner. Which makes it a helluva lot more useful than a lot of the stupid gear runners buy.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Its like having a little coach on your wrist.
                          A coach AND a cheerleader! I love that little chirp at each mile--to me it says "WTG, you rock, keep it up, you're almost there!" Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

A coach AND a cheerleader! I love that little chirp at each mile--to me it says "WTG, you rock, keep it up, you're almost there!" Big grin
                            It must be nice having that positive inner voice. To me, that little chirp says, "JESUS, LOOK HOW SLOW THAT SPLIT WAS YOU SLUG! SUCK IT UP, WEAK ASS!"

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

<--- pays="" little="" attention="" to="" splits="" and="" is="" content="" to="" simply="" look="" at="" current="" pace="" from="" time="" to="" time...=""></--->
                              It must be nice having that positive inner voice. To me, that little chirp says, "JESUS, LOOK HOW SLOW THAT SPLIT WAS YOU SLUG! SUCK IT UP, WEAK ASS!"

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think that's the voice my son was hearing - he used my Garmin only once or twice, because he said it was making him race during training runs.