iPods On Race Day (Read 650 times)

~Gordo~

I just found out that the Shamrock Half (and full) marathons do not allow iPods or headphones. Is this becoming common place for races? I will of course abide by the rules, but I'm not sure I understand not allowing them on a closed road course. Anyone else thoughts? ~Gordo
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

This has been discussed a lot - here are the search results on it: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/search?keywords=headphones+races
        I just got this email after registering for race I'll be running tomorrow "Attention Emerald Across The Bay 12K Participants: We were just recently informed by USA Track & Field Association that due to this race being a PA/USA T&F 12K Championship - they will be enforcing a rule which applies to No Earphones (Rule 144.3(b)) . Runners who violate this rule during the race will be ineligible for the prize money and on the results will be listed as disqualified. USAT&F further informed us they will have referees on the course looking for violations of this rule. USA T&F explains the No Earphones rule is for your safety as well as the safety of others on the course" I don't have any objection to someone wearing these things, but it is probably a good rule. Anything that makes it harder to hear what's going on around you is a safety hazzard. They also take much of the focus away from the run. I tried running with an mp3 player several years ago on a training run and didn't care for it. I can't imagine any serious racer wanting to wear one in a race. It would be very distracting.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Runner

They were outlawed but I only saw about every 10th person wearing them anyways it seemed.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I just found out that the Shamrock Half (and full) marathons do not allow iPods or headphones. Is this becoming common place for races?
            As Theresa pointed out, this gets talked about ad infinitum, so it isn't uncommon. It has been technically outlawed for a long time per USATF rules, but one of the reasons for the recent enforcement of the rule is because the insurance companies are raising the cost for races that allow headphones to the point where races can't afford the insurance, which means ban headphones or fold.
            They were outlawed but I only saw about every 10th person wearing them anyways it seemed.
            Enforcement varies. I make it easy by just not wearing them during races. Of course, that's not difficult for me since I don't wear them during training either.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

~Gordo~

I know this is subject has been talked and talked about but with if it is a cost factor, how about a "headphone fee". I know it is a crazy idea, and most people wouldn't pay to wear headphones but it's an idea nonetheless. Perhaps their bib number could have an "H" in front of the number to allow race officials to know they bought the right to wear headphones. Again, not truly enforceable, but some food for thought. ~Gordo
              !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~

I know it is a crazy idea, and most people wouldn't pay to wear headphones but it's an idea nonetheless. Perhaps their bib number could have an "H" in front of the number to allow race officials to know they bought the right to wear headphones.
                The enforcement is mostly because of the insurance fees. Even with a seperate "headphone charge" though it still (a) remains against the rules according to the USATF and (b) remains a safety concern. So I think that the craziness isn't the problem so much as the liability.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Runner

I actually saw something at the Shamrock that I was surprised didn't get nipped in the bud really quick. A girl on a mountain bike rode along side her boyfriend for most of the race that I saw. I think at about mile 15 he fell behind a bit so I don't know if she went out to fort story or not but I saw some people give some strange looks when he'd get handed a water bottle on the course...

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler