Which car should Dave get? (Read 238 times)

actually read through that whole ad.      that was great!

Ford Escape!

I'v had a Ford Escape (2005)  for going on 4 yrs now.  I know its not considered to be a "real"  4WD truck to some but it has done what I need it to do.  plan on keeping it for a few more years & at this point would be my 1st choice if I were to get another vehicle.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Wow, I'm... flattered?!? Big grinShocked

Great recommendations, keep the votes coming!

To help clarify, my wife says I'm also entitled, not just a snob.  Not sure how that fits into the car choice but I bet it does.

My wife now thinks we should wait until January to really decide (that will give us more time to determine if we really are in need of a car). She also seems open to a stick. She also would like a trunk, as opposed to hatchbatch due to her perceived threat of break-ins (though I think this could be re-reasoned out).

I did see that Jeep ad a while back.  I think I'd fit the description (somewhat) of the person not allowed to buy it though.  I'm no hipster, but he'd probably dislike a yuppie liberal atheist jewyorker driving his pwtmobile.  Though I did spend a good deal driving the same model (in white) in college and liked it -an often-inebriated-friend had one and I was the frequent dd.

I won't bring my tri gear to the local 5ks, probably, but I would like to take it up to Lake Placid from time to time. I plan on doing far fewer tris though, so it likely won't be an issue.  The Bob ironman is big though.  Most of the driving would probably be to NJ or CT, occasionally up to Maine.

I'm open to a slightly older model as previously suggested by someone regarding new cars devaluing substantially the moment they leave the lot. I bet I can get more options in a certifed pre-owned with a warranty.

I saw a small range rover yesterday while out on a run.  But yeah, it would be in the shop often (lol saving gas mileage).

I really like the VW and Audi.  My wife picked up this notion (from watching Top Gear) that Audi owners are now what was the BMW  d-bag owners though.   The Liebherr is a bit too German for my tastes. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

The King of Beasts

Dave should buy this jewel.

Awesome.

200k is the standard break in period for the Jeep 4.0L

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

#artbydmcbride

I'v had a Ford Escape (2005)  for going on 4 yrs now.  I know its not considered to be a "real"  4WD truck to some but it has done what I need it to do.  plan on keeping it for a few more years & at this point would be my 1st choice if I were to get another vehicle.

And the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute are really the same car.  A partnership between Ford and Mazda

Runners run

xhristopher

FYI the Aston Martin Cygnet is the same car as the Scion IQ but priced three times as much to better appeal to elitist snobs.

And the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute are really the same car.  A partnership between Ford and Mazda

as well as the Mercury Mariner.   just different trimmings/options.  I think the Escape is the least expensive of the 3

ultramarathon/triathlete

Anyone here own a Certified Pre Owned car?  What about those?  Seems like I could get a nice car a few years older for a lot less money and have a warranty.  Sounds like there's some potential to that.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

Ostrich runner

Certified cars can be a good deal, but you've gotta pay attention to what's actually covered. Depending on the car, you might also be able to purchase a warranty on your own.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Anyone here own a Certified Pre Owned car?  What about those?  Seems like I could get a nice car a few years older for a lot less money and have a warranty.  Sounds like there's some potential to that.

I looked into that extensively when I bought my Honda Accord.  What I found was that it depends how much you value what peace-of-mind it gives you.  They really charge a premium for the Certified Pre Owned label.  A lot of what they are ensuring is that wearable items (tires, brake pads) meet some maximum wear threshold.

I found the exact same Accord at another used dealership, with a few more options and 30K less miles, and diagnosed the bald tires myself and used it in negotiations.  I'm fairly mechanically handy so I gave the vehicle a good once-over myself.  I ended up out the door for ~$4K less than the Certified Pre-Owned.

If it were a private sale, I'd have taken it to my mechanic and for a small fee he would have gone through it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

npaden

I just bought one.  2011 Chevy Traverse with 32,000 miles on it for $28,000.  The fancy LTZ model in AWD.  They get decent gas mileage for a larger SUV, lots of interior space (actually more than a Tahoe).  The certified pre-owned warranty thing is really only 12 months and 12,000 miles from when you buy it so that will be about 6 months for me.  I don't think I really paid anything extra for it, it was still barely under factory warranty and I bought it from a dealer who just slapped the certified pre-owned sticker on it to help it sell.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Feeling the growl again

Certified cars can be a good deal, but you've gotta pay attention to what's actually covered. Depending on the car, you might also be able to purchase a warranty on your own.

This, and again, I highly recommend identifying a trustworthy, INDEPENDENT mechanic to check out a vehicle prior to purchase.  If there is nothing major wrong with it, why over-pay with a certified used program?  But it has to be an independent mechanic; dealership service centers are where dealerships make most of their money.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

Dave -- this is an article from a car mag (Car & Driver) which has a summary of each manufacturer's Certified Pre-Owned program...a basic overview of what each company means when they say "CPO".

But don't you live in NYC?  Isn't the ideal car something that's safe for the kids, but tough enough for city life and cheap enough that if you get rear-ended in city traffic you just unscrew the plates and leave it?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ultramarathon/triathlete

cheap enough that if you get rear-ended in city traffic you just unscrew the plates and leave it?

hhahaha love it.  That explains some cars I see around here ;-)

I figure, with the headache parking will be, I want something extra fun to drive to make up for it.  Yeah, it should probably fit the kids too.  I'll check out your link.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

an amazing likeness

I have a 1975 Oldsmobile in the barn if you're interested. It has a 455 V8 and an 8-Track player...plenty of room for your kids stuff, your stuff, and a few bodies in the trunk...and you don't have to yield to anyone unless you want.  I'll certify that it's pre-owned for you. Let's talk.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.