how long on a pair of shoes? (Read 1142 times)

Hi everyone. I'm curious here: how long should a pair of shoes last? And does anyone buy two pair and rotate them? I think I read in Runner's World that doing so keeps them longer b/c they have time to "recover" and don't break down so fast... or maybe I made that up... can't remember. Sounds like something I might just come up with. Big grin Anyway, I got 450 from my last pair and then my calf started hurting... what's your mileage on a pair?
    Scout7

A) The average is around 400-500 miles. That will vary based on the shoe (different materials last longer), and the runner (higher the weight, more pressure, less miles). If you start feeling pain when running you didn't before, maybe look at changing shoes. B) I have multiple pairs of shoes, but not for rotating purposes as you described. I have them based on purpose of the shoe. I have standard shoes I wear for training, a pair designed specifically for trail running and inclement weather, and a pair I use strictly for racing. I don't know that rotating allows them to "recover", but it does mean that you'll have them longer. Of course, in the end, it's probably no different than using one pair at a time. The caveat to that would be if you wear your running shoes for things other than running (I do not). If you wear them all the time, then I would look into getting a different pair of shoes for casual wear (or wear your old running shoes).
        I had to retire my last pair at about 325 miles, but 400-500 is more the norm, and more what I plan on getting in the future now that I have switched brands. I think part of the reasoning for rotating shoes is so that you'll be able to tell when your older pair is breaking down. If you wear one pair for every single run you don't have any basis for comparison so it is harder to tell when you need to replace them. That said, I am a shoe serial monogamist - I only have one pair of shoes at a time and my knees and hips tell me when it is time for a new pair.
        Jenny
          Shoe life for me is always an issue. I'm a bit heavier (about 190lbs) so I generally change shoes at about 350-375 miles using a highly cushioned Asics shoe. Usually I can tell when their time has come when my feet start to hurt when I run. I've never actually rotated shoes; I always figured mileage is mileage, whether you wear them every day or every other day.
          Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
          Regina

I have two pairs of shoes that I rotate for recovery. I will buy another one for trail running and training on snow in the winter... I use the same shoes for training and races. My shoes last for about 1.500 km - I change them when I start to feel pain ...
              My legs started hurting right at the 350 mile mark on my last pair of shoes. I replaced them with an identical pairof Mizunos and all is good. Smile The Saucony's that I used to run in were good for about 300 miles before the aches and pains started. I've got 3 new pairs of Mizuno's. I got a pair from dh for Christmas and then found an awesome online deal I couldn't pass up. Tongue Then I went shopping in Indianapolis with my mom for New Year's and found a great deal on the pair of Mizuno Wave Ascend trail running shoes I've been coveting. Couldn't say no to that! Wink I don't really rotate though I *want* to. LOL! I seem to like last year's Mizuno model better than the new one so I find myself wearing them more often. Teresa
              Chris UK

I have just done 607.5 miles with my Saucony Grid Jazz X. They still feel OK and as long as they don't start falling apart with all the mud that I run through then I will carry on with them. I'm pretty light and most of my miles are offroad on grass/tracks etc.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

300 miles. Do not run until you start to hurt from your shoes. It is too late then. And you cannot feel all body damage. 300 miles. Beyond that and you risk injury. If you have gone beyond that, you may be playing with fire. Another pair of shoes is cheaper than going to see the orthopedist or getting that knee replacement. Rotate your shoes. That lets one pair dry out from sweat and the elements. A dry shoe has better support and cushioning, protecting your joints, bones, ligaments and muscles. Running is nasty work. It beats you up. Each step is a hammer blow to your body. Each and every one! Keep your equipment in good shape and make sure it is fresh. 300 miles.
                  vicentefrijole

I'm surprised so few people rotate their shoes! Shocked I'm a big fan of rotating... I think it probably helps them last a little bit longer, mainly because it allows them to dry out (from sweat, rain, snow) between runs... moisture is a huge factor in loss of shoe lifetime. Besides, what is worse than putting on a wet pair of shoes at the start of a run? UGH! Tongue Admittedly, I have quite a few pairs too many right now Blush (because I found my favorite ones on sale really cheap and couldn't resist, then I forgot to bring them on vacation and had to buy another pair!), but I really don't need any more than 2-3... after that I figure I'm keeping them around long enough that they might just wear-out from old age. I only get about 250-300 miles on my current favorite model... it's not a very durable shoe, but I love it in every other way so it's worth it to me to keep buying it frequently. Smile
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I currently have 4 pair in rotation.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I read something interesting recently written by a guy who rotates 2-3 different models that he likes. He finds that it helps keep any minor aches "rotating," as well, since each shoe will control motion/stabilize a bit differently. It made sense to my newbie brain. As much as I like my current shoes (NB 1222), they are just too $$ (on sale I am lucky to find them for much under $105, since I need wides) at the rate I seem to go through shoes (I find that I get nagging pains by ~250 miles), so I'm thinking about buying a pair of my second choice shoes (NB 857, which have been very closely compared to the 1222s in pretty much every way that matters) as soon as I find a really good deal on them. So, for those of you who rotate, are your rotation shoes all the same model? At what point do you add a new pair in (ie, do you add a new pair as soon as your latest pair has a couple hundred miles on them, or what)? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Same make. Four models. Saucony - - Omni (my fave) - Hurricaine (but I will not use these in the future) - Triumph (also awesome) - Guide
                          sabershooter

After around 250-300 miles my road shoes become my treadmill shoes. This way I get a few more miles from them with less chance of injury. Some shoes wear out faster than others, so you have to keep an eye on them. The brand that has consistently been my shortest lived shoe every time I try them is Nike. The last pair had serious tread wear after only 150 miles. It seems that shoes made for us big guys that pound the pavement usually cost more than other models. I see plenty of $65 - $95 shoes, but they are always recommended for the small - medium build folks. I guess shelling out $120 a pair is something I have to accept. The Mizunos I have had look great even after 300 miles, but I change them out anyway. Nothing sucks worse than wanting to run and not being able to, so I'm not taking chances with getting an injury.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Same make. Four models. Saucony - - Omni (my fave) - Hurricaine (but I will not use these in the future) - Triumph (also awesome) - Guide
                              Interesting. What benefit do you find to using 4 different shoes in rotation? Are they similar shoes, or very different in their purpose? Will you eventually stick to one model, or do you plan to continue using several? Also, at what intervals do you add a new shoe to the rotation? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

i have two asics cumulus now, my older one has close to 350 miles on it and that is now what i use when i'm on the tracks for shortish runs...the other one i use for longer runs or roadrunning. I'm a biggish runner (short but stocky) so shoes wear out fast for me, so hopefully rotating them this way will help money wise.