Another newbie (Read 830 times)

Hi there! I've been lurking and doing a bunch of searches. I feel a bit out of my league but thought I'd introduce anyway. I recently moved to Jacksonville FL from NH. I haven't been able to run since I moved down here in July. I broke a toe, and once I got that healed I broke another toe on my other foot. Black eye I've been out of commission and with that, it brought a 10 lb weight gain. Which is coming off, slowly but surely! I started off with a three mile jog with my greyhound Trouble on pavement and concrete. It turned out to be about a ile jog and then a jog/walk back home since she isn't built up for the endurance anymore. I since did the distance and felt great after. I have been able to do a mile on the treadmill, and figured why not. My goal right now is a five mile race on February 23rd. I think it will be OK even if I have to walk/run. I'd love to work back up to a half marathon-- never tried training for a marathon before... Anyway... Thanks for reading, and I look forward to learning from all of you!!! Here is Trouble on the beach
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Welcome aboard! I've got a greyhound, too named Cold B Rainwater - what a great dog. I don't run with him. First off, he's retired and I let him be retired. He worked hard and had a good career. Secondly, he's a sprinter and I'm not. They'll hit 44 mph on a good day, but aren't really equipped for 30+ minutes of trotting. You can teach and condition them for it, but I never did. What a great dog! Anyway, welcome aboard. What are your goals for running?
        Hi Jenn and welcome! No need to feel out of your league, RA has everything from hardcore runners (scary fast or crazy distance, or both) to folks just getting off the couch. I used to lurk on greytalk, so I recognize your username and the lovely Troublina. One internet addiction wasn't enough? Looks like the move to Florida is going well, best of luck with your return to school. (Modified to add: I can save you one newbie question, what is HTFU? Click the link in my siggie, but be warned it's definitely not safe for a workplace, you can take a guess at what the F stands for...)

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Thanks Ed!!! I was already wondering what that meant! Something I need to do!!! What a small world huh? As for Trouble-- she doesn't go with me every day. I bring her on easy days-- or now when I'm just starting up, and have her to slow me down. She is the GH who has to be at my side at all times. Goals-- Hmmm... Mostly weight loss, tone up my legs again and like Ed-- HTFU. I would LOVE to do a half marathon around my birthday in May.
            Dang, what is your dog's body fat ratio. Wink Looks like an elite running dog!

Vim

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Dang, what is your dog's body fat ratio. Wink Looks like an elite running dog!
              Actually, if I had to guess, that's the greyhound equivalent of a chubby has been! Looks like she's been off the track for a while. Greyhounds don't put on much weight after they retire, but their muscles lose quite a bit of definition. When they first come off the track (I'm assuming she's a rescue) they're friggin RIPPED! Oh, the chubby has been comment is by no means a slam on your dog - don't take it that way. I'm just saying that when they come off the track, their muscles are freakishly large and defined.
                Trouble has been off the track for a little more than two years. She still has some muscle definition. But typically in brindles its harder to see. She certanly isn't elite anymore though!!! She's adopted through Greyhounds as Pets -- the website is www.jaxkennel.com

My dogs are fast, not me

Hi Jen! I think I "know" you from Greytalk? My 3 GH's would rebel if I tried to run with them. A quarter mile walk around the neighborhood is enough for them and towards the end of that, Butler is turning up every driveway and I'm literally dragging Callie. Argus, my good boy, just plugs along without any complaints. Robin

Robin

Hey there!!!! You do know me!! It's funny-- If I want to be pulled down the road/sidwalk-- I'll bring Ruler! If I want an easier pace-- bring Trouble. I ran 4.5miles today. The way back wasn't fun-- against the wind. I was going to try and do some sprints in there, but the wind kicked my butt!

Now that was a bath...

Welcome Jenn. You are more elite than I so it is all relative from my chair. I am an elite couch sitter whilst I de-fracture (Trent - if that isn't a medical term then I want it to become one - he's a Doctor and all). Welcome to RA. It's like we just revealed the Greyhound Mafia. Is it code for something else? Anyone on this board not own a 'Greyhound' ? Anyone?
                    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                        LOL Well they are the best!!! It is kinda funny-- Greyhound Mafia.... Big grin
                          Anyone on this board not own a 'Greyhound' ? Anyone?
                          Perish the thought.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

My dogs are fast, not me

Ed, What a beautiful dog! Of course, arent' all GH's?

Robin

skinnycaponesugar

Hi Jenn! I'm also a newbie to the forum and to running, but hey Welcome! What a beauty your dog is! I've always liked Greyhounds Smile
                              Welcome Jenn. Anyone on this board not own a 'Greyhound' ? Anyone?
                              however, I own a Border Collie. He's a running-doggi- in-training, he's always been more into tennis:

Love, Run, Sleep