Monkey Slayer-in-Chief (Read 1768 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Trent - nice touch putting the names on the numbers! Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

Cryptic

http://nashvillestriders.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=FlyingMonkeyMarathon&id=Flying_Monkey_018
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://nashvillestriders.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=FlyingMonkeyMarathon&id=Flying_Monkey_018 Hey, I know them folks. Geoff, are you in for 2007? Wingz, names on bibs is a must! Never settle for anything less Wink
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Wingz, names on bibs is a must! Never settle for anything less Wink
          I'll have to remember to bring a Sharpie to my next race, then, LOL. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Cryptic

Trent, After reading how much fun everyone had I am in. I even signed up for the board on the official site today and declared my insanity. I am thinking about the one I am doing in May right now it is flat Tongue
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bah...they don't look like they're running all that hard... BTW, I would KILL for legs like that woman has. Man, even in my wildest dreams mine would never look like that...*grumbles about 28" inseam and cankles*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

After reading how much fun everyone had I am in...
                FUN??? Shocked

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

JakeKnight

Bah...they don't look like they're running all that hard... BTW, I would KILL for legs like that woman has. Man, even in my wildest dreams mine would never look like that...*grumbles about 28" inseam and cankles*
                  A few quick points: 1) I hate you 2) That was like mile 1. Before the real hills. Before the tears of pain and shame. Before the blood. Before the monkeys. 3) That's Sam. She's, well, a character. She's also one o' them "elite" folks. Those legs could almost keep up with Jeff. She's also the very best story of the day, which I'll get around to sooner or later. Nevermind. I'll do it now. And keep it short. Ish. If you look at the Monkey board, she really is a character. I won't even try to describe her. Except to say that she can run circles around me (and come to think of it, actually did). She's a former model, actress, current director/producer. That detail is important because it's what gave me my PR -- since she was pretty much just goofing off and running with us slowpokes for company, I made the truly BRILLIANT choice to ask a single question at about mile 4, after she talked a bit about that stuff. I said - "So .... you must have some good stories ... tell us a few ..." She was still talking 8 or 9 miles later. And since she's one o' them dramatic, artistic sorts of folks - not to mention having a mind perpetually in the gutter, which is always a plus - I had to keep up with her to keep the entertainment going. At mile 7 I noticed we were under 9:00 pace. Basically, if it weren't for her completely destroying my pre-race plan, I never would have run so fast. But that's not the story. This is: Like I said, she's an elite runner. Not sure what her PR is. Low 3:00 maybe? All I know is that when she got bored with us at about mile 12 and asked if she could go ahead (she was counting girls in front of her and wasn't going to let it be more than 2), she took off so fast that I was downright embarrassed. Like we were standing still. But she's also got bad knees. Really bad. One of her knee caps actually popped out at mile 7. So at mile 17, me and another guy running together come around a corner, and find Sam sitting on the trail. Obviously in pain. Knee all !$%@%ed up. She seemed okay; still messing with whatever you call that band you Tribe of the Bad Knee people wear. I full expected to see her again. Sure enough, at Mile 19, just as I was DYING, weeping, moaning, crying, bleeding, etc., (Did someone call it FUN?), I glanced back and saw her coming. But she never passed me. Poof. She'd vanished. Here's a confession: one thing that bugs me to no end is an attitude among some "elites" that, if they're not going to run something impressive, they might as well quit. I've seen it more than once. A 2:30 marathoner has a bad day, realizes she's gonna run a 2:50 ... and just steps off the course at mile 16. I understand their reasoning, but I still hate it. In my opinion, that just ain't what it's about. I have names for such people, but I'd get arrested if I said them in public. I'll take the fat guy running the 8:30 at the very back over that person any day. So back to Sam. She had absolutely nothing to prove. There was no reason for her to finish. She never really set out to run it fast. The girl was on vacation, for Pete's sake. And her knee was bad. She really couldn't WALK, not to mention run. Those downhills even hurt MY knees. And now, at long last, the punchline, and why it's my favorite story. She DID finish. She could barely walk. I mean, it was ugly. Basically couldn't bend one leg. And she gimped along like that for the last 7 miles. Her time was barely under FIVE hours, and she was used to doing it in closer to half that. In pain every step. On those frickin' hills. I can't even express how inspirational it was. Well, I could, but sensitive ears would be offended by the word choice. !@%!ing awesome. Coolest part of the day.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, I think I'd really like Sam...I don't think I could even hate a woman like that (we should get her to join here--we need some more crazy gals around here!). I hope her knee is healing--that sounds truly awful. k

~ Sarah Kay

Cryptic

isn't she planning on running the rocket city and the CMM instead of boston? I think I read that. yeah i said fun....you are feeling the pain but i bet you run it again next year!
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sam and I go back. Way back. Gosh, I think all the way back to August Wink She is a hoot, a lot of fun, and has recently gotten the moniker "Blue Eyed Devil". Sounds like she is going to do Rocket City and CMM. I think it is cuz she is stalking me. But that is another story (Sam will likely see this, so you should all know I put that out there in jest). In defense of the 2:30 runner who stops on a bad day, they play a very different game than we do and need to be very competitive. A 2:50 pace is a sign that they have an injury, and that they need to step out to prevent the injury from getting worse. Sam is an unbelievable runner who has fab gams, but she has yet to run a marathon to her ability. Don't ask about her 5k or 10k because you will cry to hear about them. But that dang knee has kept her from seeing her potential at 26.2. Perhaps Rocket City is her race. We'll see. When it happens, don't blink. But the reason Sam finished rather than dropping out is because she is tough as nails and was having a blast on the course in the park. What is a little pain when you can spend an extra couple hours in the park with a lot of pain? She did want to quit, but stuck with it and has told me that she is happy that she did. Zoom-Zoom, be careful. If you don't watch out we guys will have two Sams to deal with Shocked
                          My goodness! My ears were burning this morning! Jake Night, you take my breath away! Thanks so much for those kind words. My kneecap started to shift at mile 6, then fully dislocated(again dangit) at about mile 13 or something I don't remember, I was having fun. The course was staggeringly beautiful and I had a delicious time. Every step was soul enhancing. I was waiting for the swelling to go down and my kneecap to realign, but my coach called yesterday and said 'bind that puppy up and get back on the road' He said I'll heal while I train. Between you and me, I was already going to do that today,I've got work to do for RC, no time for resting, but what an awesome coach,huh! Alright out the door, see how this puppy holds up, check back later. I've got some new jokes for Jake. granted we don'thave huge fallen down trees in our area of kansas, but I'll work with what I have. Big grin Thanks for the link Trent!
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Blue Eyed Devil. AKA Monkey Sam. AKA Smantha. AKA Evil Sam. You will fit right in around here. But do behave for once Wink
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, I get queasy just thinking about the pain from a dislocated knee. Run-of-the-mill shin splints usually have me walking. I'd say you have balls...but that wouldn't be accurate in this case... Welcome, Sam! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Oh, boy. What have I done? Roll eyes What's that old superstition - about how if you say an evil spirit's name out loud, he's bound to show up? Oops. I should have known better. Disclaimer: I will NOT be held responsible for anything Sam says or does. No way. No, sir. Not me. Blame Trent. Smile Speaking of ...
                                In defense of the 2:30 runner who stops on a bad day, they play a very different game than we do and need to be very competitive. A 2:50 pace is a sign that they have an injury, and that they need to step out to prevent the injury from getting worse.
                                Oh, I get why they do it. I'll even concede it's the smart thing to do. Especially if they're doing it for a living, or really competing. But to paraphrase Jerry Maguire - back before the whole jumping-on-couches and debating psychotherapy thang started - that's not what inspires people. Or at least not me. Sam was a warrior out there. And I can't hope to imitate those 2:30 runners - but I can do my best to imitate that warrior spirit. After seeing that finish, it's gonna take a lot to get me to DNF a marathon. An ambulance or a mortician will have to be involved. Reminded me of the this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriela_Andersen-Scheiss
                                Sam is an unbelievable runner who has fab gams ...
                                Note that Trent (and Zoom) said that - not me. I'm just politely declining to disagree.