Motivation (Read 926 times)

whsrunner

I'm always motivated during races or in other events that count, but in high school track/xc practice or when I run on my own I don't have much motivation to push myself. Anyone else feel like this? And does anyone have suggestions?

Member Since 2008

This website really motivates me, I find myself watching TV sometimes and I jump up and do an easy run just to see what it looks like added on the graph.
        Yes, this site is a great motivator, plus I suggest you set some long-term goals for yourself. Also I read books on running to help me keep focused on those goals. And take complete days of rest or low mileage easy runs to defeat burn-out, or try some different type runs or activities to break-up your normal routine: fartlek, hills, strides, hiking, stairs, aerobics, fishing,etc., and I'm trying this next week - be a spectator, go watch a race. When all else fails, put in that inspirational movie that fires you up! Feed the Fire, Brother! Wink

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do a radio interview. On the interview, commit to running a race, say a big marathon for example. Make sure that everybody you know is aware of the radio interview. You WILL run that race Wink

Now that was a bath...

Ummmmmm, Trent. Been on the radio recently?
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Don't push too hard in training, save it for the races!

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I usually think about past races (good and bad) for motivation as well as visualizing what I how I would like to run. But I have one memory that almost always makes me suck it up whenever I think of it: Senior year HS X-country regional. I was running a really good race -- on my way to a PR. But near the end of the race I was kind of cruising -- I was happy where I was place-wise and was sort of settling. I came around a corner with about 250 yards to go and my former coach (he came to that race specifically to watch me run) was there. No mamby-pamby "way to go"; he screamed at me "JEFF!! YOU. GOTTA. GO. NOW!!!!" He jolted me back to reality, and I kicked harder than I ever dreamed I could and moved up 5 places over the next 200 yards. I was closing on another guy, but the gap was too wide. I'm still chasing him now. That was a life-changing moment for me as a runner -- ever since then, with very few exceptions, I have thrown down like an animal at the end of races. Now that's not something I can derive day-to-day motivation from, but when I need to dig deep, Coach Steve is there with the right thing to say at the right place and right time.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Do a radio interview. On the interview, commit to running a race, say a big marathon for example. Make sure that everybody you know is aware of the radio interview. You WILL run that race Wink
                  OR just tell everyone you know. When I did a figure show 2 years ago that got me out of bed almost everyday for my morning cardio session. I didn't want to have to quit since I'd blabbed to everyone! That same thought is getting me out the door now since I told everyone I was doing this darn half marathon. Oh, and register for a race that is a bit in the future. I always find that I don't want to waste my money if I've already paid the fee for entry!
                  Elena
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yeah, the accountability thing seems to be pretty effective. When I started running again this past January, I got back in touch with my old XC coach and one of my old teammates and told them what I was up to. I check in with them about once/month and we exchange updates on each other's progress. Seems to help get me out the door knowing this...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Oh, and register for a race that is a bit in the future. I always find that I don't want to waste my money if I've already paid the fee for entry!
                      I do this and it seems to help to have a race out on the horizon. Telling people works wonders also. Last month's race, everyone asked for an update afterwards. This month - 5 other co-workers signed up to run it with me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and register for a race that is a bit in the future. I always find that I don't want to waste my money if I've already paid the fee for entry!
                        This is SO true! BTW, I notice you are in MI, too. What part of the state are you in? I've over on the West side. Nice to have you nere! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

get thee a nemesis. someone you MUST beat no, not just beat destroy, anhilate, vaporize. for me it was jeff bennighoff he outsprinted me in sophmore year a XC meet and he became the bane of my existence. whenever I felt like slacking off or goofing off I remembered losing to him and thought "Benninghoff is training right now" he kept me motivated for 2 more years and helped going thru some nasty track workouts

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

BTW, I notice you are in MI, too. What part of the state are you in? I've over on the West side. Nice to have you nere! Smile k
                            Hi K I am in SE Michigan - Oakland County! Thanks for the welcome! Smile
                            Elena
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

get thee a nemesis. someone you MUST beat no, not just beat destroy, anhilate, vaporize. for me it was jeff bennighoff he outsprinted me in sophmore year a XC meet and he became the bane of my existence. whenever I felt like slacking off or goofing off I remembered losing to him and thought "Benninghoff is training right now" he kept me motivated for 2 more years and helped going thru some nasty track workouts
                              Joe, you are still my b***h. Jeff Okay, kidding -- I'm not that Jeff