My First GPS Watch (Read 1632 times)

TTime0207

The Captain

I'm in the market for a GPS watch and I'm not sure where to go. I like what I've read about the Garmin Forerunners but I also like Nike+ too. Any recommendations? 

Fortior fi quam heri eras!

Am I doing this right?

Garmin.

My opinion is the 305 or the 205 depending on if you need/want the HR monitor (comes w/ the 305).

No excuses....

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Garmin.

My opinion is the 305 or the 205 depending on if you need/want the HR monitor (comes w/ the 305).

+1

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Garmin.

Yup.  

Hat trick! Tongue

If you'd ever want to use the Forerunner as a GPS bike computer the 305 is the way to go.  I've never once used my HRM strap for either 305 I've owned, but the wireless doohickey in the device would allow you to use the optional distance/speed/cadence sensor (and will work indoors on a bike trainer with the GPS disabled).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mrcrumpton

Garmin. The 205 has the feautres that you will not outgrow unless you want the HRM so then 305 and you cant beat the price.
            The 610 is a great GPS watch. No problems with the touch screen, rain and sweat have no effect on it either. Pricy but you can wear it 24/7 because of the size.

2013 Goals

• 5K-20:00
            • 10K-44:00
            • 1/2 Marathon-1:38
            • Marathon-3:30
            • Complete 50 Miler

JML

Garmin 305 would be my choice.  Cheap and reliable.  You can usually find them online (Amazon etc) at a fairly reasonable price.  I have used mine for 3000+ miles in all kinds of crappy conditions and it still works fine.  The battery is even still good for 8 hours in case I get silly and start running ultras.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think smartphones will do the same thing these days, so that's another possible idea.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I like the Garmins, I've got both a 201 and a 305. Both work great, the 201 I generally didn't download anything to the computer because it was too much of a pain, but for simple speed/distance, it still works great.

I'd recommend the 305. Nike+ I've heard good things about, but isn't GPS, it's accelerometer based (someone please correct me if there's a new Nike+ version with GPS)

Why is it sideways?

I'd recommend the 305. Nike+ I've heard good things about, but isn't GPS, it's accelerometer based (someone please correct me if there's a new Nike+ version with GPS)

There's a new Nike+ version with GPS. I ran with it the other day, and it was pretty awesome, and I almost broke down and bought one.

Feeling the growl again

I think smartphones will do the same thing these days, so that's another possible idea.

I'd worry about the sweat (not to mention how to carry it).  I had my android in my pocket at the zoo today, hot as hell and I got sweaty, and somehow despite having the screen locked when I put it in there all of my settings got messed up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I second the GPS enabled smartphone worry.  I was using mine as my GPS for a couple months before I broke down and got a Forerunner 305 (which I love and add to the recommendation of).  The phone took a LOT longer to get a GPS lock than the Garmin does.  In fact, sometimes my phone would take so long that I'd get frustrated and throw down a mile or two before it would lock. Likewise, if you're a trail runner, phones fail more at keeping a signal than do dedicated units, at least in my experience.

Also, even with a "water resistant" arm band, my phone got pretty sweaty.  When the touch screen (temporarily) went all wonky, I decided it was time to go Garmin.  Couldn't be happier.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek

TTime0207

The Captain

I went with the 305. The 405 looked nicer but a little extra bulk won't be that bad and it cost a lot less. But I appreciate all of the advice guys. 

Fortior fi quam heri eras!

DespiteMyself

I second the GPS enabled smartphone worry.  I was using mine as my GPS for a couple months before I broke down and got a Forerunner 305 (which I love and add to the recommendation of).  The phone took a LOT longer to get a GPS lock than the Garmin does.  In fact, sometimes my phone would take so long that I'd get frustrated and throw down a mile or two before it would lock. Likewise, if you're a trail runner, phones fail more at keeping a signal than do dedicated units, at least in my experience.

Also, even with a "water resistant" arm band, my phone got pretty sweaty.  When the touch screen (temporarily) went all wonky, I decided it was time to go Garmin.  Couldn't be happier.

This person read my mind and pretty much told my exact story. Got frustrated with my GPS phone and finally got the Garmin 305. Very happy with it. I haven't used all the features yet since I'm learning it little by little, but at the mileage I hear people are putting on them, I will have plenty of time to learn and use them. Plus reaonable price through Amazon. The only thing I'm not happy with is the Garmin Training Center mapping ... but I upload here to RA and the maps are spot on ... so the Garmin watch maps just fine, it's just the choice of where I upload.

MTA ... just read your last post ... good choice. I'm sure you will continue to be happy with it. Cost per mile is fantastic!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

ditto the smartphone GPS issue, although son uses micoach on iPhone and doesn't complain. I've tried both Handy Runner and micoach on Android phones and am was not happy as compared to my old faithful Garmin 301. as to sweat etc, I've used a Spi belt to carry the phone in and keep it dry. Have to watch stressing the ear plug jack tho. Have also used a clip on puch with shirt tucked in between the phone and body to avoid sweating on it as well.

I had problem with old Nike+ approach - it never recognized my stride. Which is why I purchased the Garmin 301. Plus I need to run by HR because of medical issues - something ya can't get with phones (yet - am sure they'll have an app for that one of these days! LOL) or Nike+.

If I had to buy a new Garmin I'd probably favor the 305 since it adds a bike pod capability and has more accurate GPS than my 301.

bob e v
                              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Quick check on Amazon:  At this moment, the 305 is only $18 more than the 205 ($138 vs. $120).