What can I do to while my knee is smashed up? (Read 80 times)

Right now my knee is banged up--internal bleeding, ligament damage. I'll be back running in a few weeks (we think), but I'm in high school cross country and need to stay in condition as much as possible so I can be ready for state in 5 weeks. What can I do with upper body or other things to keep training? Anything? What have y'all done or experienced in these types of scenarios?

an amazing likeness

R.I.C.E.   Heal first. Train later. Better to show up under trained and healthy.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

The first thing you need to do is accept that you may not be able to race in 5 weeks.  Your long term joint health is a heck of a lot more important than any single race.  At your age you likely think you are invincible and don't think about the long term impact that forcing the issue could have on your long term health.  As a 38-year-old who has seen people my age who used to be good runners laid up and struggling to stay healthy because they abused themselves then they were younger, focus on recovery first. If you are good enough to race in 5 weeks, great.  If not, have to tell you, this will be low on the list of your regrets when you are several decades older.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills