First marathon 5 weeks away, getting weary (Read 204 times)

BigDaddyJoe

OK, I'm training for my first marathon, using Hal Higdon's Novice 1 training plan.  I have 5 weeks to go.  The past week I've gotten really weary.  Even my short runs have become harder and super slow.  I'm starting to get nervous and concerned.  I don't feel like getting up early to do them.  I've pretty much stuck to the schedule, but a couple of days I pushed the snooze button a couple too many times and had to cut the runs short because I had to get the kids ready for school and myself ready for work.  I've done all of the long runs on the weekend though.  Is it normal to go through this?  Should I be concerned?  Am I not ready for the marathon (I can still switch down to the half marathon, which isn't a problem for me)?  Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Welcome to marathon training, son. Fatigue is a big part of it. Just wait until you taper. The only advice I could offer is don't skip any workouts (unless you are injured) and stick to the plan.

BigDaddyJoe

Welcome to marathon training, son. Fatigue is a big part of it. Just wait until you taper. The only advice I could offer is don't skip any workouts (unless you are injured) and stick to the plan.

Thanks, dad.  LOL

So, it is perfectly normal?  It is really messing with my confidence at this point.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

runmichigan

As already has been noted fatigue often is an issue in the last few weeks before you begin your taper.  The fatigue you feel now will be similar to the fatigue most people feel in the last few miles of the marathon.  So if you can push through it now, you know you can push through it in the marathon.

Did you stick to the plan throughout taking the step back weeks as Higdon's plan lays out?  If yes, then you are prepared to complete a marathon.  Just keep doing the workout on the plan.  Only skip workouts when illness or injury requires it.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, eating properly, and getting 8+ hours of sleep each night.  Keep repeating to yourself your mantra (i.e. What does not kill us makes us stronger) and be confident that you are ready.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Marathon training is more difficult than the race itself, in my opinion. Like you, I have kids and a job so it's hard to find the time. If you don't want to do a run, you have to drag yourself out the door and do it anyway or you will pay for it later. Without knowing your MPW I have no idea if you're ready for it. Surely you can finish, but do you want to take four hours or eight hours?  If your goal is "just to finish" then do it. If you honestly don't think you're ready, you still might want to try it just for the experience, then next time you know what you are getting yourself into. If you want to switch to the HM, then do it, but you might regret it.

kilkee

runktrun

Running is not easy.

Seriously, runners of all levels experience fatigue and lead legs and have days that amount to not much more than a slog...BUT...you should be able to recover on those easy days so that you can nail the race-specific workouts (in your plan, that's probably just the long run).  If you long runs are going backwards, first look at external factors.  Sleep, nutrition, work stress can all run you down just as much if not more than mileage.  If you feel like you are taking care of yourself when you're not running, then experiment with a shorter run before your long run.  Also try to be aware of the types of fatigue and aches that you experience.  Dead legs is different and not as concerning as pain in a specific body part, or pain that gets worse later in the run.

I agree with advice to not skip runs...yet.  Try to follow the plan until 2 weeks out, then take a little extra rest if you still feel like you need it.  The whole premise of marathon training is to adapt to fatigue.  Tired is good.  Keep at it and don't worry too much about the race, you'll be fine!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

BigDaddyJoe

As already has been noted fatigue often is an issue in the last few weeks before you begin your taper.  The fatigue you feel now will be similar to the fatigue most people feel in the last few miles of the marathon.  So if you can push through it now, you know you can push through it in the marathon.

Did you stick to the plan throughout taking the step back weeks as Higdon's plan lays out?  If yes, then you are prepared to complete a marathon.  Just keep doing the workout on the plan.  Only skip workouts when illness or injury requires it.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, eating properly, and getting 8+ hours of sleep each night.  Keep repeating to yourself your mantra (i.e. What does not kill us makes us stronger) and be confident that you are ready.

I stuck to the plan faithfully.  The only day I completely missed was a blizzard when I couldn't run on the street or make it to the gym, and I ended up adjusting the rest of the week to get all of the days in.  Last week was my first bad week, where I actually cut a couple of runs short, but not the long one on the weekend.  I got it in, but I was super slow and walked more than I would have liked.

BigDaddyJoe

My goal is really "just to finish".  I'm by no means a fast runner.  I wasn't a runner at all until a year and a half ago.  I had weight loss surgery, lost 100 lbs, and started running at the age of 44, never having run before in my life.  I've done 2 half marathons.  Finishing them under 2.5 hours was an accomplishment for a formerly fat person that couldn't run to the corner when I started C25K only 7 months before my first half marathon.  I'm hoping to finish in under 5.5 hours, but I'll settle for "didn't die".  I'm not sure I'd ever do another marathon after this, I like the half marathon distance, but this marathon training takes a lot of dedication and commitment and time away from my family.  I also have the added complication of not being able to eat more than 4-6 ounces of food at a time, so figuring out nutrition has been a struggle.

Marathon training is more difficult than the race itself, in my opinion. Like you, I have kids and a job so it's hard to find the time. If you don't want to do a run, you have to drag yourself out the door and do it anyway or you will pay for it later. Without knowing your MPW I have no idea if you're ready for it. Surely you can finish, but do you want to take four hours or eight hours?  If your goal is "just to finish" then do it. If you honestly don't think you're ready, you still might want to try it just for the experience, then next time you know what you are getting yourself into. If you want to switch to the HM, then do it, but you might regret it.

BigDaddyJoe

Running is not easy.

Seriously, runners of all levels experience fatigue and lead legs and have days that amount to not much more than a slog...BUT...you should be able to recover on those easy days so that you can nail the race-specific workouts (in your plan, that's probably just the long run).  If you long runs are going backwards, first look at external factors.  Sleep, nutrition, work stress can all run you down just as much if not more than mileage.  If you feel like you are taking care of yourself when you're not running, then experiment with a shorter run before your long run.  Also try to be aware of the types of fatigue and aches that you experience.  Dead legs is different and not as concerning as pain in a specific body part, or pain that gets worse later in the run.

I agree with advice to not skip runs...yet.  Try to follow the plan until 2 weeks out, then take a little extra rest if you still feel like you need it.  The whole premise of marathon training is to adapt to fatigue.  Tired is good.  Keep at it and don't worry too much about the race, you'll be fine!

I like what you said there - "the whole premise of marathon training is to adapt to fatigue."  That actually makes a lot of sense.  I guess I just need to trust in the process, it just helps to hear that other people have been in the same place as me.

mikeymike

It's been a few years since I went all in on training for a marathon, but I still vividly remember that marathon training feels awful a lot of the time.

Runners run

I like what you said there - "the whole premise of marathon training is to adapt to fatigue."  That actually makes a lot of sense.  I guess I just need to trust in the process, it just helps to hear that other people have been in the same place as me.

Yep. As Nuke Laloosh once said, "She may be wooly, women do get wooly, because of all the stress."

It can be a grind, but it's sort of supposed to be. Keep grinding.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My goal is really "just to finish".  I'm by no means a fast runner.  I wasn't a runner at all until a year and a half ago.  I had weight loss surgery, lost 100 lbs, and started running at the age of 44, never having run before in my life.  I've done 2 half marathons.  Finishing them under 2.5 hours was an accomplishment for a formerly fat person that couldn't run to the corner when I started C25K only 7 months before my first half marathon.  I'm hoping to finish in under 5.5 hours, but I'll settle for "didn't die".  I'm not sure I'd ever do another marathon after this, I like the half marathon distance, but this marathon training takes a lot of dedication and commitment and time away from my family.  I also have the added complication of not being able to eat more than 4-6 ounces of food at a time, so figuring out nutrition has been a struggle.

Kudos to you for taking on this challenge!  I'm guessing you need to eat and pretty constantly to keep up your nutrition needs. I know I do, without having had gastric surgery.  That's all I have to contribute...make sure you are managing to keep your body fueled.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

As far as your nutrition, don't forget about the carb loaded drinks. I understand about your food intake but I hope this does not affect your liquids as well. Congrats for taking this on. YOU GOT THIS!!!

BigDaddyJoe

As far as your nutrition, don't forget about the carb loaded drinks. I understand about your food intake but I hope this does not affect your liquids as well. Congrats for taking this on. YOU GOT THIS!!!

I haven't tried any carb loaded drinks, any recommendations?  I've been using the GU gels and GU chomps, but they really haven't been enough.  Food intake wasn't an issue for the half marathons, I was fine, but I worry about the full.  I'm scheduled for an 18 mile run this Saturday, so I'd like to try out some different options.  Thanks.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Gatorade works for me but I know there are others. Check some ultra marathon sites and see what they use.