Country Music marathon (Read 387 times)

HOSS1961

I am in training and thinking about this race. Anybody out there have any insight to the course/race?
    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
    JakeKnight

http://runningahead.com/forums/post/a19dffffa2ff4782912f91a064d8ea5d#focus There are probably at least 30 people here doing it this year. I see you already found the group discussing it. If you try the search function, you'll find a lot of babble about it. Here's a few quick comments: The course is okay. Boring as hell at the end. People call it hilly. People who call it hilly don't know what hills are. But if you're from a flat spot, be ready for a few hills. The heat and humidity are the biggest issues. They can be worse than you'd expect. Some folks (including me) have had bad days because of it. Be ready for it. It might be a cool spring day, and it might be 80 and humid. You can never tell. The organization is generally pretty good. Some people hated last year's beverage of choice (accelerade? I think). It was pretty gross. The spectators aren't as numerous as at a run like Chicago, but they're friendly. At least during the first half. Truth is that the CMM is a good half marathon with a marathon tacked on. Last year it was something like 17,000 half marathoners and 5,000 marathoners. And I'm probably overestimating the number of marathoners. Be ready to be surrounded by halfers who aren't going as far as you. If you match their pace, you could get in trouble later. The second half of the race there are mostly no spectators, although part of it runs along the Cumberland River and its really nice. Watch out for turtles. Don't ask. The shirt sucks. Badly. It's a joke how bad it sucks. The medal is great.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Prophet!

The heat and humidity are the biggest issues.
        what issues ?
        Watch out for turtles. Don't ask.
        I have to ask...