So how cold is too cold to run outside? (Read 247 times)

Early this morning, it was -43 degrees C, and I couldn't motivated myself to run in that crap! Any of you guys out there run in that temp range? I think it's about -45 F... Dang I need a treadmill...

jeffdonahue

Never had it that cold but I did go out and run in -18 a few weeks ago when dropping my son off at college.  It was cold, but I think I dressed appropriately and I was fine.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Early this morning, it was -43 degrees C, and I couldn't motivated myself to run in that crap! Any of you guys out there run in that temp range? I think it's about -45 F... Dang I need a treadmill...

I did run in the -40*C windchill yesterday. I waited until it got up to -39*C windchill today and ran just short of 4 miles bc I was getting cold. My internal heater just didn't have enough to keep going. Have to make smart decisions when running in that sort of cold -- dress in layers, shorter loops closer to home and very much listen to your body for signs of distress. I'm a solo runner so I don't have that safety net of someone with me to tell me if I'm starting to not make sense, if my skin if freezing or showing visible distress. Running in the cold is not for everyone, but since you are in Winterpeg, you must know that. (Queen City runner here!)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Feeling the growl again

Too cold for me is when I would have to wear a ski mask to keep my eyeballs from freezing.  I don't recall what windchill that was but it was low.  That's really the only show-stopper for me.  I had a mask over the rest of my face but having to wear goggles was the limit.  Tip -- always start your run into the wind, it's ok to do that then sweat on the way back, the reverse is dangerous.

If it's calm, running sub-zero isn't an issue if you have the clothing.

But I have a treadmill and it's open and windy around here, so typically I'm lazy and use the machine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zebano

That's crazy cold, I'd think thrice too. Someone pointed out that -40 is where C and F are the same. This year the coldest I've run in is 5F / -15C (before Windchill), though tomorrow will be colder.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

sub520

I usually question whether I should run when it is zero degrees.  Living in Chicago, there is almost always a windchill.  This morning the air temp is -9 with a high of 2 degrees, windchill of -30.  I won't be running outside today.  Knowing the temp cycles here in Chicago, it is like this for 1-2 weeks out of the year, and when it this cold is when I schedule my natural time off and let my body relax.  Sunny, 0 degrees, and absolutely no wind is fine to run in - I actually find myself sweating in this and am fine.

I used to run in anything, but not anymore.  The one other piece of advice I would give is if you do an out and back and there is a wind, try to run into the wind first even though it feel horrible.  I had the experience of doing a 2 mile out and back run for a total of 4 miles when it was sunny and around -5 without the wind chill.  I was running with the wind on the way out and didn't think it was that bad, was doing a good tempo pace and working up a sweat.  But then when I turned around and there was that little bit of sweat on my face and 2 miles into a steady 5-10mph wind when the air temp if -5 is brutal...  So I echo the other advice about keeping the distance shorter and closer to your house/car.

If this cold spell goes on for a while, I will find myself running 1/2 mile from my house in each direction and just run that stretch multiple times.  Yes, boring, but safer than being way out and running alone.

My coldest run last winter was five miles at -30 deg F.  My avatar photo was taken after running 11 miles at -10 deg F.  I dress for the weather, and the only real problem I have is that the ice balls on my eyelashes build up until they pull my eyes shut.  But that's only at temperatures below about -20 deg F.  Then I have to stop and melt them off.

It's -23 right now, and I'll go for a run after posting this.  I have yet to see temperatures too cold to run.

CanadianMeg, you rock! I wish I had the courage to head out in that but today is a little colder yet and I just can't see myself trying to brave that wind. I only run 4 mile loops in cold weather ( I have 4 different trails to lessen the effect of dominant winds)  that way I'm always close to the home base but looking out my window right now I see a spectacular sun flanked by two massive sun Dogs and I think to myself "What kind of person would contemplate running in that?" Spaniel I'm with you on that, as soon as I can find a TM that suits I'll have an option cause I'm going crazy with cabin fever...

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Just so I can be the outlier in this thread, I'll note that I've decided that I'm on the treadmill from now on whenever it's below the low 20s F. air temperature.

I used to run outside down to the low single digits F, but I've discovered as I get older that doing so is hard on my body, even when properly dressed.  Muscles get very stiff and tight and achy and prone to being pulled; slippery surfaces aren't much fun either and are another injury risk.   My rule is that if I would race in weather, I'll train in it.  But... I've decided my days of racing in sub 20 degrees F are done also, so that gives me an out Smile

So I'll just stay indoors, and respect the heck out of the rest of you.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Chicago was actually really pleasant today, at 7F and no wind (which is really odd on the Lakefront).

Just a reminder: careful of ice on your bluf or beard.  If it freezes next to your skin, you might cause localized frostbite without realizing it.  At my turn-around, I noticed I had a 2in chunk of ice below my chin, which was welded to my bluf.  Took about 5 minutes to sort out.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just so I can be the outlier in this thread, I'll note that I've decided that I'm on the treadmill from now on whenever it's below the low 20s F. air temperature.

I used to run outside down to the low single digits F, but I've discovered as I get older that doing so is hard on my body, even when properly dressed.  Muscles get very stiff and tight and achy and prone to being pulled; slippery surfaces aren't much fun either and are another injury risk.   My rule is that if I would race in weather, I'll train in it.  But... I've decided my days of racing in sub 20 degrees F are done also, so that gives me an out Smile

So I'll just stay indoors, and respect the heck out of the rest of you.

Same. I’m missing a lung lobe and have osteopenia, so treadmill and Zwift, it is if the temps are cold enough to make breathing extra difficult. Traction devices work well as long as I don’t have to posthole my runs, but I’m still apprehensive about the fall risk.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

CanadianMeg, you rock! I wish I had the courage to head out in that but today is a little colder yet and I just can't see myself trying to brave that wind. I only run 4 mile loops in cold weather ( I have 4 different trails to lessen the effect of dominant winds)  that way I'm always close to the home base but looking out my window right now I see a spectacular sun flanked by two massive sun Dogs and I think to myself "What kind of person would contemplate running in that?" Spaniel I'm with you on that, as soon as I can find a TM that suits I'll have an option cause I'm going crazy with cabin fever...

It's worse today than yesterday. I'm not loving it, but I'll go out. Base temp is currently -29*C (-21*F) with windchill taking it down to -43*C (-45*F). It's very bright, very sunny, but danger of frostbite. I'm running within a mile of home, but I don't know how much I'll manage. It's exhausting running and trying to keep myself warm. I'm still hoping this cold will taper off before I need to do Hypothermic Half. I hear you on cabin fever. Gotta do something.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Chicago was actually really pleasant today, at 7F and no wind (which is really odd on the Lakefront).

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No wind and sun makes a massive difference! The opposite of current conditions at my house.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

John Wood

The older I get, the warmer it needs to be. Upper 30’s and wind gets to me now. I used to be fine with temps in the 0’s, but the body rebels now. On the flip side, I now seem to be OK running at noon time during the summer when the triple digits hit.