Eating before a race - advice sought (Read 502 times)

Now that was a bath...

Well you know how they say never do anything new on race day - I am going to have to. It just occured to me that I always run immediately after jumping out of bed and after consuming only a glass of water. Tomorrow will be different though. I will have to get up at about 5:15AM so that I have time to get the ferry to Waiheke Island and the race doesn't start until 10AM. I figured that if I eat at 5:30AM - it will be at least four and a half hours before the race starts. Will I need to eat another snack before the race and if so will a banana and a peanut butter sandwich be a good call? I've once run after eating that in the evening and had no problems and I don't want to try anyhting new. By the way - Mike, if you read this, thanks for your list of 'What not to do in preparation for a race' - not only did it make me smile it has grounded me twice in the last two days. Firstly I stopped drinking water like a lunatic and secondly I decided not to run today no matter how itchy my feet get! And Janell I did my absolute best to sleep well last night in anticipation of your point that I won't get much tonight - but the huge amount of 'Deep Heat' cream I had on kept waking me up as the sheets were sticking to my legs! I've packed my bag. Is it time yet? Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    Scout7

4.5 hours should be plenty of time for you to be ok. You might want something small, but you could use sports drink, too. How long are you going to be out there?
        For morning races I usually have a lite breakfast about 4 hours before and then a small snack about an hour and a half to two hours before the race. Usually for the snack I just have some crackers or something easily digestable. You just want to make sure you don't each too much or anything to heavy that might cause you stomach problems. Dan
        The point is you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might as well give in and save your sanity for later.
          I've only done a couple of races, but I find a protein bar or wheat toast and peanut butter to be the breakfast of champions. Best of luck on the race!

Falling is easy, it's getting back up that becomes the problem ~Staind

Now that was a bath...

Scout I was thinking maybe a drink too. The race is going to take me somewhere between 1hr 15 + 1 hr 30 I would guess. The winner last year did the distance (12K) in 50:08 and I am estimating a slower pace than usual as it is a challenging hilly run. Geez - can you imagine what I will be like if I ever get to run that Marathon I am aiming for! I have so many race strategies going through my head that I will probably forget to run! Maybe if all else fails I will borrow my son's strategy and find someone to hold hands with to get super powers. That's gotta help. Claire xxx
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            Scout7

If Trent decides to weigh in he can go into all kinds of technical stuff. In the meantime.....I generally like to have something about 3-3.5 hours out, and then I suck down a gel about 5-15 minutes before the start for longer races. Also, I'm assuming they have sports drink on the course, so you should definitely be taking that in. Pre-race nutrition is a very individualized thing (heck, nutrition in general is), so what works for me may not work for you. Best bet, especially since this is your first race, play it cautious. Don't go crazy on the breakfast, or the sports drink. If you feel not quite full, give it a minute, maybe drink some water. You should be ok with that.
                I'm a bagel and peanut butter girl, about 3 hours ahead, no snack, sipping water up till race time. Of course I always feel like I have to pee, but about 60 percent of the time it's just nerves! I'm pretty jealous of your excitement - my HM isn't for another month. Haven't really trained for and raced in several months. Have FUN!!!!!! Cool
                1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."

Prophet!

i guess minced Maketu meat pies are out of the question Claire ?? Smile I bet that's what the grizzled kiwi boys are eating before the race. I'd say stick with the familiar breakfast stuffs..(pb and j and banana sammich sounds good) i wouldn't eat a gel before if you haven't used it in any of your training runs..my wife did that (she's a crazy woman who goes on long runs/long paddles with nothing but water and a hint of gatorade) and ended up with tummy cramps. Good luck! steve