To stretch or not to stretch? (Read 1276 times)

NY Times says the jury's still out. And here I thought it was universally accepted that stretching prevented injuries and helped performance. In fact, NYT says, distance runners are more efficient when they're stiff. What the hey? I just can't imagine ignoring stretching altogether, even if it's only a psychological benefit.. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/health/nutrition/13Best.html (I know there's a fancy way to put this link in, but I'm too dumb to actually pull it off.)
      Well for me, stretching is very important. Though I have only been running for about 2 months now, I have been playing sports (soccer, hocket, etc) my whole life and I have always found stretching to be very beneficial. Not only has it helped me prevent injury, but it's helped my body wake up and get ready for what is coming. It allows me to not feel so cramped up during the activity as well. I have, however, heard exactly what you posted about some people just not stretching, and finding it better. I can't see that, but I doubt these people are lying. I guess you just need to see how your body reacts to either case. I will tell you this though -- for me, it is much more important to get a good stretch afterwards, more than before. I usually do both, but I take more care and time afterwards, just to make sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but finding an exact answer to this is very difficult from what i've experienced.
      "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine

SMART Approach

My opinion. I am an advocate of dynamics movements before activity and some stretching after on major body parts. Stiff runners may or may not be be more efficient. BUT, when dealing with every day life, lifting furniture, twisting in a car, bending over to pick something up, maybe a slight slip or change of direction while walking or running etc. In my experience, those who do not stretch are much more likely to be injured during the above. A lot of pulled low back muscles particularily. Flexibility is one of the 5 key components of fitness. If you skip it, you are missing out!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Scout7

I do little to no stretching. I know when I need to do it, because I can feel it. But I don't specifically stretch before or after a run.
            The best advice I've heard, and what seems to work and feel the best for me, is don't stretch cold muscles. A brief warm up and then stretch before your run and/or a post-run cool down followed by some stretching seems to work well. Personally, I do a short warm up, run, then cool down and stretch. I'll hold each stretch for about 12-15 seconds and typically move through a series of stretches twice. It takes about 5-10 minutes. Also, when I was taking yoga classes once a week, I had a dramatic increase in flexibility and eliminated most post-run stretching altogether...just a worm up and cool down. I miss yoga...it was a great workout.
              The best advice I've heard, and what seems to work and feel the best for me, is don't stretch cold muscles. A brief warm up and then stretch before your run and/or a post-run cool down followed by some stretching seems to work well. Personally, I do a short warm up, run, then cool down and stretch. I'll hold each stretch for about 12-15 seconds and typically move through a series of stretches twice. It takes about 5-10 minutes. Also, when I was taking yoga classes once a week, I had a dramatic increase in flexibility and eliminated most post-run stretching altogether...just a worm up and cool down. I miss yoga...it was a great workout.
              oh yea, yoga is fantastic! I take a class on it at the gym. it's good for the body, mind and spirit!
              "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
                I stretch lightly on a regular basis, I don't know if it helps my running or not but I feel better. I run for fitness. Flexibility is an important aspect of overall fitness. I believe it can help prevent injuries especially non running injuries. Those under 40 probably don't need to stretch unless they're running very fast. Stretching is probably like every other physical thing, if you do it properly it will help, if you do it wrong it can hurt you. Actually warm-up and cool down runs are a form of stretching that only affects the running muscles. Tchuck said it very nicely.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

JakeKnight

One of the more recent threads on the topic. Some interesting stuff. The consensus is pretty clear: not many of us stretch very much. And few if any experienced runners stretch cold or before a run: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/88c58b660c824cc2a70cb2cc03a755ce#focus

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Carl A

I participated in this ongoing USATF stretch study. Although I didn't stretch much before signing up, I did their suggested stretches during my three assigned months and didn't get injured during that time. Now I'm back to not stretching very often, and have remained uninjured, for now (and hopefully for a while, Deo volente). Not that my one case is all that relevant. If you're really interested in this question, consider doing it too. It looks like they need a statistically sufficient number of participants to come up with accurate results.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Lazy idiot

Flexibility is one of the 5 key components of fitness. If you skip it, you are missing out!
                      Hmmm... do I know you? Resistance Cardio Flexibility Rest Nutrition Wink

Tick tock

I do little to no stretching. I know when I need to do it, because I can feel it. But I don't specifically stretch before or after a run.
                        I'm in this camp now too. When I started running - I followed the "advice" to stretch before running. After a couple of months - my left hamstring was always really sore. I stopped stretching and it "magically" got better.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

When I started running - I followed the "advice" to stretch before running. After a couple of months - my left hamstring was always really sore. I stopped stretching and it "magically" got better.
                          Not stretching at all is better than stretching cold before a run.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

SMART Approach

Hmmm... do I know you? Resistance Cardio Flexibility Rest Nutrition Wink
                            I don't know if you know me. The main 5 components of fitness are: Muscular Strength Muscular Endurance Cardiovascular Strength Flexibility Body Composition I believe nutrition and rest should be added. Good job, Drew.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Lazy idiot

I don't know if you know me. The main 5 components of fitness are: Muscular Strength Muscular Endurance Cardiovascular Strength Flexibility Body Composition I believe nutrition and rest should be added. Good job, Drew.
                              It was sort of in jest. (I saw you live in a state I've never visited, so I figured that's probably a "no") I work out at a facility that uses the 5 Keys Fitness model, which are those I described. It's a pretty nice and involved Transitional Fitness model, which has been very effective for me.

Tick tock

Tremont

I stretch all the time. Just never immediately before or after a run.