PB2 (Read 176 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

These days, most milk is made the same way. The modern homogenization process in one that separates all the fat from the rest of the liquid. The milk is then reassembled to spec at precisely 0%, 1%, 2%, whole (3.5%), etc fat. The milk you drink is generally just as much a processed food.

So too is chocolate. At many modern chocolate factories, the chocolate fats (i.e., cocoa butter) is removed from the solids, and then reassembled to spec. More processed food.

Orange juice too.

And so on.

None of this is evident in the ingredients list.

So, is our food actually food... by Pollan's definition?

These days, most milk is made the same way. The modern homogenization process in one that separates all the fat from the rest of the liquid. The milk is then reassembled to spec at precisely 0%, 1%, 2%, whole (3.5%), etc fat. The milk you drink is generally just as much a processed food.

So too is chocolate. At many modern chocolate factories, the chocolate fats (i.e., cocoa butter) is removed from the solids, and then reassembled to spec. More processed food.

Orange juice too.

And so on.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Orange juice too.

And so on.

That's funny, I was just listening to the latest Skeptoid last night, and they talked about that.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Slo

God forbid anything should seperate and need to be shaken up.

Up until the day I left for the Army you always stirred the milk jug before you poured it.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

God forbid anything should seperate and need to be shaken up.

Up until the day I left for the Army you always stirred the milk jug before you poured it.

That was sort of the point Brian Dunning was making in the episode I listened to, which was about raw milk.  It was a bit of a tangent, but he pointed out that milk homogenization is basically straining out the fat, breaking it down into smaller particles that emulsify more readily, then adding it back in controlled quantities.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

degregorius

Sigh.  Some things are lost forever in translation.  OTOH, peanut cheese on a cracker sounds s good as Gouda on a cracker.

Gouda you like that? [RIMSHOT]

Peanut cheese! Sounds terrible.

montag

Super Pro Lurker

I would just like to point out, that I am getting JIF ads as I read this thread. I see what you did there, google. Also most mainstream peanut butter brands, JIF, Skippy, etc. etc. Contain hydrogenated oils (i.e trans fat) to keep the peanut butter from separating. Also I recently found out Ritz crackers have trans fat too. Sad sad day. Sad

xhristopher

Apparently PBR is good for recovery after long runs.

Feeling the growl again

Orange juice too.

And so on.

Meh.  Kill it and grill it.  Problem solved.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

My understanding is that the roasted peanuts are pressed/squeezed to remove the oil, and it's removing the oil that removes most of the fat.  All I'm saying is that it's a hell of a lot less processed than Jif, Skippy, etc.

Have you tried the peanut butter machine at Whole Paycheck? It's like magic for the kids.

Zelanie

I like PB2 in my oatmeal.  For sandwiches, yeah, it's gotta be the real thing.

You'll ruin your knees!

I'm not going to rush in on PB2, I'll wait for the next release and camp out to be one of the first to get PB3!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'm not going to rush in on PB2, I'll wait for the next release and camp out to be one of the first to get PB3!

Lol!

montag

Super Pro Lurker

Have you tried the peanut butter machine at Whole Paycheck? It's like magic for the kids.

I had this for the first time in August. It was in fact, magic for the kids. :Q I just have an overwhelming need to inform everyone about the dangers of trans fat and all possible locations of trans fat.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My five-year-old nephew apparently had his first experience with the peanut butter-making machine a month or so ago.  I wasn't there, but my mom said he couldn't handle it.  Looked too much like poop coming out.