First Twelve Miler (Read 1522 times)

juniordo1

The pain you experiencing is because your body, specifically your muscles and bones have not adapted (yet) to the level of stress you are doing... 

Fluid, electrolytes, and carbohydrates have some, but much less impact at distances less than 16 to 20 miles.   Most studies have not found a link between muscle cramping and electrolyte imbalance. 

Since you recovery quickly, you could continue on with your plan, but you will risk injury that may set you back more than taking alternative steps. 

These include:

1. Slowly increasing miles in the week, and not increasing long runs until you have a better feeling at the end of the run.  You want to have the workout stress your body, but not to the extent you are currently feeling

Aside from the hamstring cramp from mile 8-9, I wasn't in much  pain through this 15 mile run. The twelve miler I originally posted about was painful, followed by a 13 that wasn't too bad.

My body was used to only Powerade so adding anything different  may have upset my overall "balance". I think my form on the dreadmill is my leading contributor to hamstring cramp.

I'm past the point of going back on my plan. The money's been spent and I'm planning to toe the line. You're probably thinking "then why do you ask ?"

I'm asking questions and relating experiences because I'm in totally uncharted territory. Lots of great advice here, most of which I may attempt to incorporate into future efforts. Keep it coming!

Keep in mind this is my first marathon effort and I'm OK with just finishing. I've got some target finish times in the back of my head but they are dependent on how I feel later in the race.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Just something I noticed, Twizzlers and water, sounds good, lots of carbs, but I don't think you need to start munching away until 6 miles at the earliest.

Other thing is, where is the salt?  You were on a TM, sweating a lot I presume?  I think adding something salty might help.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

juniordo1

Just something I noticed, Twizzlers and water, sounds good, lots of carbs, but I don't think you need to start munching away until 6 miles at the earliest.

Other thing is, where is the salt?  You were on a TM, sweating a lot I presume?  I think adding something salty might help.

Just munching to see how stomach tolerates combo.

Yep, sweating a lot indoors at 70F. Seasonal temps for my race are upper 40's to low 50's at end of race

Twizzlers vs Powerade:

Twizzlers - 36g Carbs per serviving (4 pieces),160 calories, 95mg sodium, no potassium or B vitamins

Powerade - 14g carbs per serving (8oz), 50 calories,100mg sodium w/potassium and B vitamins

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just munching to see how stomach tolerates combo.

Yep, sweating a lot indoors at 70F. Seasonal temps for my race are upper 40's to low 50's at end of race

Twizzlers vs Powerade:

Twizzlers - 36g Carbs per serviving (4 pieces),160 calories, 95mg sodium, no potassium or B vitamins

Powerade - 14g carbs per serving (8oz), 50 calories,100mg sodium w/potassium and B vitamins

You can probably down 8 oz. liquid a lot easier than 4 Twizzlers.

juniordo1

You can probably down 8 oz. liquid a lot easier than 4 Twizzlers.

Other than water I haven't found one yet that doesn't give me heartburn. My preference would be liquid only for the entire race but I'm not sure if I'd get enough carbs. I'd really hate to see the twizzlers again at mile 20 if they don't process!

The race organizers still haven't chosen the sports drink to be offered so I'm trying to keep my options open.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Other than water I haven't found one yet that doesn't give me heartburn. My preference would be liquid only for the entire race but I'm not sure if I'd get enough carbs. I'd really hate to see the twizzlers again at mile 20 if they don't process!

The race organizers still haven't chosen the sports drink to be offered so I'm trying to keep my options open.

Jelly beans form the Sams club. 1/3 cup(74) 280 calories.A good handful. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I ran my first 15 mile training run yesterday. It was interesting to say the least. I ran this  long run on a Wednesday instead of Saturday because of scheduling conflicts.

This was the first time I had done a long run the day after another run. I had done a comfortable 3 miler the day before. This was also the first time I had run a long run at the time of day the marathon will take place.

I chose this run to try a new fueling/hydration combination. Instead of only Powerade the whole way, I used water and Twizzlers. I did this because Powerade or Gatorade don't ride well and my stomach becomes upset. I've never used gels on runs but they make me queasy just trying them in a non-running situation. Gels also make my throat burn regardless of water intake.

The Twizzlers/water combo did not upset my stomach at all so I was pleased. I'm not sold on changing from the energy drink though.

I said this run was interesting but here is why:

About 8 miles in my right hamstring started cramping. The cramping subsided about a mile later

At 12 miles I started running out of gas. I had two distinct moments when my brain said STOP! I can't really explain the feeling but my brain was telling me something like - hey you better stop or you will pass out or fall down. Walking for 45 seconds helped these feelings pass but when I started running again I couldn't maintain my previous pace.

I din't have any quit in me so I slogged out the last three miles and finished although more slowly than planned.

I've listed soem reasons I think this run went bad on me:

1) Inadequate carb loading before long run - normally carb load through the week and rest the day before

2) Waited too long to drink/fuel - drank /fueled starting at 4 and then 6, 8,10, 12

3) Changed fueling strategy

3) Went out too fast

4) Wasn't used to running at this time of day

5) Inadequate rest - only 6 hours of sleep the night before

This run was significant because it was probably the worst I've ever felt in a long run. It was also my longest run ever. Although bad things happened, I am optimistic because I handled adversity and kept going. 16 miles next week. I'll run a smarter run

Note: I tried a cold bath after the run and I loved. it. I just left my compression shorts/tee on and climbed in. I feel really good with very minimal soreness/ fatgue today.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

All this happened to me when I first started running long. I remember my first 12 miler, I thought I was going to pass out. I hit a wall and my body didn't want to move another step and I was dizzy. I just ran our of juice. I walked a little and finished my run. I was trying to run too much too soon. Shortly after, the long runs got easier. My long run are my most enjoyable runs now. Hardly sore the next day.