Ryan Hall (Read 869 times)

mikeymike

Because this is a running forum, it needs to be mentioned that 24-year-old Ryan Hall of California ran 2:08:24 at the Flora London Marathon yesterday for 7th place. It was the fasted ever debut marathon by an American, beating the old mark of 2:09:41 that was held by Alberto Salazar and Alan Culpeper. Hall, who is the American record holder at Half Marathon, finished 16 seconds behind Marathon World Record holder Paul Tergat.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wow! I hope he has some staying power. It would be nice to have American marathoners be a factor again internationally after so many years in the wilderness...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

You can watch the whole race on streaming video here (you can fast-forward): http://web.wcsn.com/index.jsp Amazing run--4:55 pace!
        Scout7

Is that the same guy that won the American Half Mary championship a month or so ago?

Why is it sideways?

Yep, breaking the American record in the HM with that run.
            mikeymike

Wow! I hope he has some staying power. It would be nice to have American marathoners be a factor again internationally after so many years in the wilderness...
              You mean in addition to Meb's Silver at the Olympics, Deena's Bronze and her WIN at London right? Wink

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Nice pic: Yes, I was impressed.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Amazing run--4:55 pace!
                  I can't even fathom this. I couldn't run ONE mile as a sprint at that pace! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

I can't even fathom this. I couldn't run ONE mile as a sprint at that pace! Tongue k
                    I concur. Wholeheartedly. When I was in the best shape of my life, I ran that pace for 5k. It's a dream of mine to get back there--for 5k. A marathon is 8+ of those. In a row. Shocked
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You mean in addition to Meb's Silver at the Olympics, Deena's Bronze and her WIN at London right? Wink
                      Good point. I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. Blush

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's a dream of mine to get back there--for 5k. A marathon is 8+ of those. In a row. Shocked
                        Heh...it's a dream of mine, too...kind of like that dream where I'm 5'10" and weigh what I weigh now with a fitness model physique...with no stretch marks, wrinkles, flabby arms...oh, and I'm independently wealthy and have a different sports car for every day of the week...and my son is perfectly mannered and obedient...and my cats don't barf--ever...and my refrigerator is actually IN the kitchen (heh, damned old house and ongoing kitchen project).... Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

and my refrigerator is actually IN the kitchen (heh, damned old house and ongoing kitchen project)....
                          Well, look at it this way -- your kitchen dream, (much like my dream of actually living in my house instead of with my IL's) will come true. Someday. Right?

Scout7

As to the point of American marathoning...... This is obviously a hotly debated issue on many other running sites. Meb is a transplant, so he's not really a product of the American running system. Deena is about the brightest star we've had in a while. Hall seems to be in a good position to really start to usher in a new level of elite marathoning in the U.S., which is great. Between him and Kastor, things are slowly starting to look up.

Why is it sideways?

and my refrigerator is actually IN the kitchen (heh, damned old house and ongoing kitchen project)....
                              My refrigerator is in our dining/living room--crowded out of the kitchen by the washer and dryer. Ah, yes,--the luxury life of a couple of teachers! Big grin Modified to add: Anybody know Hall's approach to training?
                              Scout7

Not sure how informative all these really are, but they give some insight.... http://www.letsrun.com/highschool/hall.html http://rodale.typepad.com/ryan_hall/ http://www.mensracing.com/athletes/interviews/2007/ryanhall020107.html Looks like lots of miles, hills, LT and tempo stuff.