marital/shoe advice (Read 274 times)

Chris Pinney

Long story shorter, I have gotten my wife to run with me . She now needs her second pair of shoes. Her first pair were brooks pure flows which I love but has caused her Achilles inflammation and pain. Dr. google has prescribed forefoot stability and more heel toe drop to avoid lengthening of the at. I am thinking brooks adrenaline 12. Thoughts?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Her best bet would be to go to a running store and get fitted.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I loved the Brooks Adrenaline 12 but they don't make them anymore. They are 13's and something is different. don't like them. Definetely take her to a good running store for a proper fit. I found one that had a 30 day money back, use them like you normally would. I don't go anywhere else.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

If you love her shoes, you run in them. Have her get her own Wink

diane_77

Her best bet would be to go to a running store and get fitted.

That's the best way to go.  Her feet will thank her.  Also, go to an actual running store.  Not Dick's or Foot Locker.

Chris Pinney

Thanks everyone. Running store it is. Anyone recomend a store in northern VA?

The shoes may or may not be a problem, not really much information to go on.  How many times does she run each week?  Is a single run accounting for too high a percentage of the weekly mileage total?  The most common problem for new runners is too much, too soon.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Chris Pinney

She runs 3x a week,probably 3.5 miles each with some walking. Im starting her off slowly. Mostly trail,which is why Im blaming the shoes.

Not dead. Yet.

I have found that any one pair of shoes worn too many days/weeks in a row will cause me problems of some sort.  So I have picked up a few more pair and switch between them regularly.  I have a favorite pair that I run in most of the time, but I am sure to get at least a run or two a week in with a different pair.

My theory is that any one pair of shoes cause certain muscles to fire more or less.  If you run too long in one pair, certain muscles might get weak and cause muscle imbalances.  Imbalances cause injuries, so if you keep switching up your shoes, you keep all those muscles strong with no weak spots.  It's just a theory, but it seems to work for me.

So my advice is to get her another pair and keep the old ones.  Then just make sure she switches up every few runs.  

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Brilliant

I have found that any one pair of shoes worn too many days/weeks in a row will cause me problems of some sort.  So I have picked up a few more pair and switch between them regularly.  I have a favorite pair that I run in most of the time, but I am sure to get at least a run or two a week in with a different pair.

My theory is that any one pair of shoes cause certain muscles to fire more or less.  If you run too long in one pair, certain muscles might get weak and cause muscle imbalances.  Imbalances cause injuries, so if you keep switching up your shoes, you keep all those muscles strong with no weak spots.  It's just a theory, but it seems to work for me.

I do this, too.  My hubby thinks it's just an excuse to get a new pair of running shoes.  (I didn't think he'd realize, because I hide the pile in a cabinet that he never opens, but he actually notices if I'm wearing a different pair!)  Anyway, I guess it's only anecdotal evidence, but I'm with you; I think I feel better if I mix up the shoes a bit.