From 10K to Half Marathon in October? (Read 973 times)

I've been running 15-20 miles per week over the last month and a half, and two weeks ago I completed my first 10K in 54:11 (my first race ever! GREAT memories!). I am quite hooked on running, and would like to keep racing and training: this weekend I have my first 5K, on 20 July my second 10K, and the 31 of August my third one! Looking forward to all of them! However, there's this GREAT Half Marathon in London in October that I'd LOVE to run, but I don't know if it's reasonable to progress from 10K (I struggled at the end...) to an HM in just 2-3 months... How do you guys see it? Do you think it's reasonable? Could you suggest any 12-weeks training plan from 15-20 mi/week to half marathon?
    PRs 5K 21:44 10K 51:35 51:09 48:41
      First off --- I'm pretty sure you can do it......you have some longer runs in your log..... just slowly increase your distance for the next couple of months and increase your long run to 10 mies every couple of weeks or so and then go for it........your not that far away from that distance. If I were you I would top my training at 10 milers and enjoy running 13.1 for the first time on 1/2 M day.....just slow down don't worry about speed and complete the distance....... You should be OK (it should be fun)........JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

No doubt you could do it. Get some more weekly mileage in before then. You have plenty of time to gently work up to the low 30s before October. Just add a couple of miles every couple of weeks and you'll get there. As was posted above, boost those long runs a bit. I'd say get up to 11 or 12 if only to build confidence, but 10 is enough to get you ready. I've never used a plan for a half so I can't recommend one. RunnersWorld.com has a feature that helps you build a plan and CoolRunning.com used to have a few plans. Google a few names like Pfitzinger, Higdon, etc... I believe they all have published plans as well. Good luck.

-------------------------------------
        5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
        10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
        1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
        Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

SMART Approach

You won't have a problem with it. Slowly work up to the below over the next 12 weeks with last long run about 10-12 days before your race. Add a mile a week to the two longer runs in the week. Start there. This is a conservative plan allowing you to perform decent but certainly not be in your best race shape. Need to get one under your belt. 3-5 comfortable 7-8 comfortable w/ a faster finish (last 2-3 miles at goal pace) 3-5 comfortable w/ 4-8 quick 100M striders toward end of run 10-11 w/ comfortable with last mile at a faster pace. If you run more days in the week, just go out for 3-4 miles and mix in a few striders at the end.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

You can totally do it. My first 10k was in May and I plan on doing a half in October as well.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Wow, thanks A LOT for your replies, that's *EXACTLY* what I wanted to hear!!!! I even have a training plan from Runner's World website, will be starting it after my 5k this Sunday (I have 14 weeks available, and I have planned to repeat some weeks to take it very relaxed...) I am so excited, for me this is a MAJOR goal! I have just found the Half-Marathon Training group, I'll see you over there over the next few months : )
              PRs 5K 21:44 10K 51:35 51:09 48:41
                Good luck....i cant imagine you will have a problem --- John A

Champions are made when no one is watching

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Roark I am quite hooked on running, and would like to keep racing and training: Congrats. A half marathon is doable. After reading your post a realized we are planning a trip to LONDON in September. Can you suggest a race. A half would be great.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

bluii12

I'm doing it, and so far, so good! I'm doing a HM in Sydney in September. I am following a plan put forth by CARA (Chicago Area Runners Association), and doing it completely alone. If I can do it, anyone can. Here's the plan...
                    Ringmaster

Hi, Roark. I ran my first 5k on December 1, 2007, my first 10k on December 15, and my first HM on February 17, 2008. Yes, it's doable. I'd been running for a few months before I got into racing and my daily runs were in the 4.5-5mi range before my first race. I guess like you, when I got into racing I really got hooked. Get your training in and enjoy it! I'm training now for my second. Looking forward to seeing you in the Half Marathon Trainers' Group. Some wonderful people over there.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

colinw

I am doing something similar. I ran my first 5k early in June, have run a few 10k training runs since then, and am following Hal Higdon's novice plan for Half Marathon getting ready for my Half at the end of September. I was unsure if I could do it, but I am into week 6 of the training and enjoying it. I am not too worried about speed at all, just finishing the distance and getting to the end of the race. I'll worry about speed later on! Big grin Good luck with your training.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14