Good article (Read 757 times)

Scout7

http://home.hia.no/~stephens/torart.htm Zoomers will especially like it, since it's about Vikings and stuff.
      Thanks, Scout - Great article!!! my two favorites "Secret # 2: "I always listen to my body. If I feel good, I run. If I am tired, I rest. Also, if I have to paint the house or work in the garden." Big grin " Peak performance takes persistence. It is true no matter how much natural talent you have. It is true if you start running at 15, 30, or 60. If we look closer at even the most gifted stars of track and field today, we find that even the talent-rich have to pay their dues. Our view is distorted because we only see the finished product in full bloom, and we forget the growth."

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

I'd say it was better than good, thanks for posting it.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mikeymike

That was awesome. Let's make that required reading on this board.

Runners run

btb1490

Thanks Scout, that was great! Gives us old farts hope.
            Scout7

Welcome, all. Oh, and there's a LOT of really good info on that site, if you take the time to really poke around.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Very cool! Except for the part where the writer claims that Fartlek is Norwegian--it's a Swedish term. Uff da is Norske. I say "uff da" a LOT (when I'm fartlek-ing). Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Thanks, Scout. Yes, perhaps the best article I've read on training and the qualities of the successful long distance runner. I liked this:
                  ...it seemed clear that he possessed two qualities that seem mutually exclusive in many endurance athletes. First, Tor was driven to run; he ran often and he ran hard. Second, he also seemed to understand the value of rest. Two running sessions a day were common, but so were complete rest days, sometimes two in a row. Regularly interspersed among the high volume weeks were the "rolig uke" (easy week). Tor, What is your system for scheduling your training weeks and rest days? Secret # 2: "I always listen to my body. If I feel good, I run. If I am tired, I rest. Also, if I have to paint the house or work in the garden."
                    I printed out the article and took the time to read it. Glad I did. Nice article! Lots to think about. Thanks Scout! Smile

Michelle

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Thanks for the link. That's exactly the philosophy to which I aspire. Patience. TÃ¥lmodighet.
                      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                      Crazy Train

I just finished reading the article and it was great. Thank you for posting it!!

Runnin' from the law.

Welcome, all. Oh, and there's a LOT of really good info on that site, if you take the time to really poke around.
                          Yup - got it bookmarked now - lots of good info on rowing too Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Me and my gang in Breck

Thanks, that was awesome.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Incredible. Reminds me of another accomplished masters runner, Ed Whitlock. He lives minutes from my house and I have had the chance to see him run in local races a few times. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-292--8864-0,00.html