hip pain/hamstring issue (Read 53 times)

Leaf_124

I was running a week out from peak week before a half marathon and my dog ran into me pretty hard left calf and knocked me over. Later that same day I did a fairly challenging hill run (6 km uphill road, 6 km down) which felt fine until near the top where I got some twinges in my left hamstring. I kind of thought it was nerve pain, since later when I felt around there I couldn't find a sore spot and stretching was fine. But after that my hips were out of wack. I went for my usual long run and would get hamstring twinges sometimes or even twinges below my knee. Between work where I do a fair amount of hiking in heavy boots and running and adding hills I'm sure I overtrained (last high mileage week was 72 km) .

So I've reduced mileage a lot and have bought that book anatomy for runners. Been doing a lot of glute work and am now starting to work harder on hamstrings as I feel that must be the last weak link. Running seems to aggravate the left hamstring (I stop when I start to feel it so runs haven't been longer than 30 minutes, I should add I tweaked it after the half walking in deep snow, rested for about a week after). And sleeping or sitting too long seems to aggravate my right hip. It's driving me crazy and maybe I need to be more patient but I haven't had hip pain like this. Have had Itb issues in past and am doing a lot of the exercises that help with that (clamshells, leg lifts, bridge variations). I do yoga as well and I feel super tight side of hips doing side stretches like that banana one where you put your feet and arms toward the same side.Chiropractor thinks SI joint issues. PT just thinks stretch and do exercises (tight muscles across low back- get acupuncture from him).

Some runs okay if I warm up enough before hand, but definitely get really stiff from sitting at work and trying to sleep. Anyone experience anything similiar?

SMART Approach

Most/many runners go through issues. You are on right track focusing on core, glute, hammy work, flexibility....it may take up to 8 weeks to benefit. Stick with it and continue to be aware. If continued issues, I recommend a reputable "manual" therapist. Their focus is to ensure that everything is firing correctly from foot to shoulder and in between. Do your research. If you find a qualified one and the right one, it can make a huge difference.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Christirei

I've been dealing with a hamstring/glute/hip issue for the past year. Have you tried using a lacrosse ball or a softball to really pinpoint massage?? I do that every day plus foam rolling top to bottom. Along with the extra strength and flexibility work you are already doing are you using any compression? how about ice or heat? epsom salt baths or soaks?

I also sit a lot during the day and purchased a cheap foam wedge pillow to sit on, it helps alot

Leaf_124

I have a foam roller and some massage balls I use a lot, epsome baths check. haven't tried compression clothing yet. I impulsively ordered a stand up desk riser so looking forward to trying that out. Got acupuncture yesterday, physio now thinks it could be hamstring weakness and psoas tendon issue. I did some yoga for psoas this morning and it might have been too angry for that. low back pain today for sure.