swim calculated pace is still off (Read 530 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just FYI,  the calculated pace for a swim workout is still some crazy number -- because it is in some crazy units. Hm, it looks  okay when I go back, but when I was entering it, it was in the old crazy units.

Disclaimer: It doesn't actually matter to me, as I don't have a waterproof watch. I'm just mentioning it for the record.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

FYI, you can calibrate your pace while swimming using a 30 second sandglass by releasing a rope with a knot tied off at 8-fathom length intervals.  then count the number of knots left behind you.  I think that's how they did it in the 1700's.  that should give your speed in knots.

eric :)

Set swimming's default unit to meter and you'll be fine.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Here's a dumb question: how would I choose whether to set it to meter or to yards, if some local pools use yards and some use meters? (Which is actually true?)

Disclaimer again: Not actually important to me. I'm getting an hourglass and a rope ready anyway. Cause I can think of some great uses for those, in case they don't work out for measuring...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

eric :)

You set it the same way you set your distance for a 5k or 5 mile race.

I was referring to was the activity's default unit, not the workout entry's unit.

Just FYI,  the calculated pace for a swim workout is still some crazy number -- because it is in some crazy units. Hm, it looks  okay when I go back, but when I was entering it, it was in the old crazy units.

Disclaimer: It doesn't actually matter to me, as I don't have a waterproof watch. I'm just mentioning it for the record.

I just started swimming and logged my swim workouts a few weeks ago. I too noticed the "crazy" numbers you are mentioning but didn't really care at the time. I read this thread and set the unit for the workout in the settings options as Eric mentioned and now the paces make sense to me. 

My local YMCA says their pool is 25 yards in length, so that is what I have been logging. If I go to a different pool, I'll probably just count laps and log them as yards unless I see that it was measured in meters. In that case, I think I will convert the meters to yard by multiplying the meters by 1.093.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I look my best blurry!

FYI, you can calibrate your pace while swimming using a 30 second sandglass by releasing a rope with a knot tied off at 8-fathom length intervals.  then count the number of knots left behind you.  I think that's how they did it in the 1700's.  that should give your speed in knots.

You are a comedian? LOL!!!