San Fransico Marathon (Read 1239 times)

I have a few questions for those that have run this and those that live in the area.

I am going to be in San Diego that week and was thinking about running this Marathon.  Flying from SDG to SFO is going to be like an extra $675 for my family.  I saw that is like an 8-9 hour drive.  I would be doing this early Friday Morning.  Is this a really bad idea to do?

Also if you have run the marathon before how did you like it?  Any suggestions on getting a hotel at a reasonable price that is located in a good spot for the start and finish?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
    xor

San Francisco.

It is a very pretty, very well managed race.  You will see lots of the city.  You will also get to run out-and-back over the golden gate bridge... which honestly, usually sounds a lot more fun than it turns out to be during the race.  It can be fogged in and crowded with runners.  Hilly race, especially the first half.  Not a PR course, but raceable.  Absolutely NO spectators, though.  If you want a city of people cheering for you, look elsewhere.

I can't speak to the rest.  The drive from the bottom of california to the bay area can be pretty and you will learn lots about california.  It is also ungodly long, especially with kids.

Hotels "at a reasonable price", well, that's subjective.  There are all kinds of hotels in the area of the race.  But know this... driving in and around that part of the city SUCKS.

Ive run the first 18 miles of the course in SF. I stay with friends when I'm in the city, so I cant really comment about the hotels. But, the city is only 7 miles wide and we had very little traffic getting to the start line from Noe Valley. If somebody can just drop you off the short walk to the start can be a nice little warm up and calm the nerves.  The race was nice for the most part with plenty of hills in the first 15 miles. Looking at my log there were four miles that had elevation gains of greater than 100 ft and two more that were greater than 200 feet. SrLopez is right about the Golden Gate, it sounds cool, but its crowded with runners and cars flying by on the other side of the road.   It looks like Michael Wardian won the race last year if that gives you a hint about the course. And, the fast locals run the second half marathon course. 

There is little on this earth that is more beautiful than the California coast, esp. the Big Sur area. But, Im not sure kids would appreciate the millions of years that it takes to create the perfect mixture of redwood trees, hot springs, mountains and waves crashing onto beaches. I guess it depends on the kids. 

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

never run in SF but from 6 hrs north from there (humbodt county-redwoods, beaches, other stuff) & can say that SF is truly one of the most unique & special cities.  but also tight, cramped, congested & dirty in areas.  plenty of things for a nice little vacation for kids & adults.  if you have never been there or driven there, it is a special drive up the coast if you have the time.   Have always wanted to do the Dipsea race just north of there but too intimidated.  If extra time can go over to Six flags discovery kingdom for the kids.  Not sure when SF marathon is but if during baseball season take in a Giants game.  beautiful ballpark!!  & maybe you can watch them beat up on the Padres or better yet the Dodgers!  ...........or Muir Woods just north.

JPF

I'll just say that if you do the scenic drive from San Diego to San Francisco (US 101), it's going to take a lot longer than 8 or 9 hours.  Eight or 9 hours is the very unscenic I-5 route.  It is a long drive either way.  

yes,  101 will be several hours longer.  make it a 2 day drive & camp a night along the ocean.  several spots, all beautiful.  2 days with family with gas, food, etc may not be much less $'s than flying  but much more fun.  you could do a few striders along the water edge on the beach!  lodging will not be cheap (unless you camp) but neither will SF.

Okay lets say you were going to drive halfway on Friday and then maybe the other half Saturday morning. 

Is there a place that fits this description:

1.) Fun place for the kids to visit or see.

2.) Something that is a 1/2 day sort of thing.

3.) Not real crowded on a Friday

4.) Not in a dangerous area.

• Sub 22  5K

yes,  101 will be several hours longer.  make it a 2 day drive & camp a night along the ocean.  several spots, all beautiful.  2 days with family with gas, food, etc may not be much less $'s than flying  but much more fun.  you could do a few striders along the water edge on the beach!  lodging will not be cheap (unless you camp) but neither will SF.

Okay so if this were you how far would you drive on Friday and where would you try to stop at to find a hotel.  Would be kind of cool to find a place that we could just spend the rest of the day at the beach.  Hotel in San Fran is going to be about $230 anyway right. 

Will we have a lot of traffic on 101?

• Sub 22  5K

been awhile since have been through that area along 101.  hotels all along the way.  If you travel hwy 1 along coast (starting Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo)  which is what you are asking about it seems, not too many "hotels" but there are some & also lodges, B & B's, camping spots with tent camping or possibly cabins.  SF marathon is July 29 & so yes there will be heavy & usually slow traffic along coast!!  Do some research & you NEED to make reservations on coastal route, even for camping NOW!

If you make it as far north along HWY to Santa Cruz/Monterrey or Pacifica, much more options as far as hotels & hop, skip & jump to SF.  Very pricy that time of year which ever route you take.  Everyone jacks up their prices for summer.  maybe an option would be to drive I-5 on way up & take your time (2-3 days) on way back along coast.  Everyone needs to drive this stretch at some point in their lives, its that beautiful in places.  so many things to see & do along the way.  Do the research!   Monterrey bay & Aquarium, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, beaches, Santa Cruz boardwalk  etc.....  Somewhere around Santa Cruz/Monterrey there is the nesting/hibernation reserve for Monarch butterflys where they stop on way to Mexico I believe.  timing very important when visiting the Monarchs, don't remember when this occurs each year 

in reality it is much better if you have a full week to visit that area of California.

Was thinking Pismo Beach or Shell Beach.  Seems to be about 5 hours up from SD.  i find beaches differ in quality alot.  Are these beaches decent beaches or are they over crowded bad beaches.  I don't want to happen upon a nude beach and surpise the kids with that sort of thing.  

We are flying into SD but out of SF so no drive back. 

• Sub 22  5K
                      L Train

You could treat them to headless camels.  That'd probably be memorable. 

Was thinking Pismo Beach or Shell Beach.  Seems to be about 5 hours up from SD.  i find beaches differ in quality alot.  Are these beaches decent beaches or are they over crowded bad beaches.  I don't want to happen upon a nude beach and surpise the kids with that sort of thing.  

We are flying into SD but out of SF so no drive back. 

that area wont be a problem but anywhere in Ca. especially N. Ca there is the possibility of of seeing some skin at the more secluded less touristy areas.   & it appears even nude headless camels!

#artbydmcbride

Madonna Inn!  Then go see Hearst castle

Runners run

spinach

San Francisco.

It is a very pretty, very well managed race.  You will see lots of the city.  You will also get to run out-and-back over the golden gate bridge... which honestly, usually sounds a lot more fun than it turns out to be during the race.  It can be fogged in and crowded with runners.  Hilly race, especially the first half.  Not a PR course, but raceable.  Absolutely NO spectators, though.  If you want a city of people cheering for you, look elsewhere.

Actually I did PR in San Francisco a couple years ago,my only sub 3 marathon. The course does have some hills but they are relatively early and the last four or five miles are perfectly flat, which is very nice.  There are no spectators except at a couple spots near the middle where one of the halfs start and then at the finish.  I would like to do it again one of these years.

kcam

I didn't care much for the SF marathon.   The race starts way too early - 5:30 AM.  That right there is enough to get me to say "NO".  And going over the bridge?  Fuggedaboudit.  It WILL be dark and it WILL be fogged over.  You won't even realize you're on it.

Coming north from LA along hwy 1 there will be beach after beach - mostly deserted (except for the nudists).  Enjoy.