Faulty GPS or Faulty Race Distance? (Read 883 times)

I ran the Goldy's Run 10 Mile this spring.  It was the first year it was USATF certified.

At the 1 mile marker, my GPS read 1.13 miles.  At mile 2, it read 2.13, at 3- 3.13...etc.

I finished with my GPS reading 10.15.

After the race, I went to the USATF webpage to find the certification map.  It turns out that the race setup crew put the start line at the old pre-certified location one block away.  The mile markers were all correct...if the start line was where it was supposed to be.  I contacted the race director to tell her about it, especially considering it as a USATF-MN championship race and considered for records. (at least it wasn't short, nullifying anyone's record).  They recognized the error and apologized, which is respectible. Smile

Feeling the growl again

I ran the Goldy's Run 10 Mile this spring.  It was the first year it was USATF certified.

At the 1 mile marker, my GPS read 1.13 miles.  At mile 2, it read 2.13, at 3- 3.13...etc.

I finished with my GPS reading 10.15.

After the race, I went to the USATF webpage to find the certification map.  It turns out that the race setup crew put the start line at the old pre-certified location one block away.  The mile markers were all correct...if the start line was where it was supposed to be.  I contacted the race director to tell her about it, especially considering it as a USATF-MN championship race and considered for records. (at least it wasn't short, nullifying anyone's record).  They recognized the error and apologized, which is respectible. Smile

This exact thing has happened in far more races than it should.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've ran in races where everything was set: certified course, correct start/finish lines, mile markers at the correct spot. But, the motorcycle cop leading the race has no clue where to go.    Murphy's law I guess... 

HermosaBoy

If on average the GPS measures long by 1% then you need to run 1% faster than your GPS tells you to make your goal.  That means you need to run a little faster than what your GPS tells you.  Instead of running 9:09 pace according to your GPS you need to run a 9:04/mile according to your GPS to make it to the finish line in under 2 hours.  9:04 for 13.23 miles = 1:59:57.

Tried that -- still missed my time by 15 seconds in a half marathon.  Guess that overconfidence will get you...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Tried that -- still missed my time by 15 seconds in a half marathon.  Guess that overconfidence will get you...

you also need to be able to do a little math in your head as you pass mile markers... :-)

HermosaBoy

you also need to be able to do a little math in your head as you pass mile markers... :-)

I was told there would be no math.

Rob

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was told there would be no math.

Did they also tell you there would be no pain?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

No shirt

No shoes

NO DICE

HermosaBoy

Did they also tell you there would be no pain?

Was the course long -- maybe?  Am I blaming that on missing my goal -- nope!!!

Bottomline -- I missed my time goal because I was lazy.  I cut things a bit too close in the last 5k because I thought I had a larger cushion than I did (obviously).

I was running the half to try to hit a time to qualify me for a seeded entry in a future race.  I didn't want to run any faster than I had too (lazy) and it bit me in the butt...

Rob

joescott

Yes.  Just within the last year this happened at a fairly high profile race here in KC.  Some co-workers complained of the GPS being WAY wrong for their race.  (It's usually a little wrong, but also usually can be trusted to be within 1%).  When I did some digging into it I found that the race organizers (or the motorcycle cop, or the volunteer course monitors -- whoever) failed to follow the course that had been laid out by the certifier.  

You know, what gets me, is that it seems that this should be JOB #1 for an RD.  Whatever else goes wrong, and I'm sure there is a LOT that can go wrong, it seems that he or she should make darn sure, double-secret-probation sure, that two things are right:  Time and Distance.  Period.  No excuses.  

I also had a 5k get my time wrong by over 20 seconds....  And I was the winner, probably 45 seconds ahead of second place, so I wasn't buried in a pack of people.  I even contacted the outfit in charge of race timing and showed them a picture of ME crossing the finish line with the finish clock clearly showing what should have been my correct time.  They refused to change my official time.  I'll never run that race again -- it just hacks me off so much.  Time and Distance, people.  Let's get these two things right!!  If it means I don't get bananas in the food tent, that is fine.

[end rant]  Smile

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Why is it sideways?

If you find that you can make any sense whatsoever out of your GPS, the various mile markers, or the flickering mental math running through your feeble brain in the last 6 miles of a marathon or the last 4 miles of a half marathon, that is a sign that you need to RUN HARDER!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd put several priorities ahead of time & distance, including traffic control & safety, and port-o-potty availability probably.

But getting the time of the winner wrong - that's a pretty impressive screw-up. Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you find that you can make any sense whatsoever out of your GPS, the various mile markers, or the flickering mental math running through your feeble brain in the last 6 miles of a marathon or the last 4 miles of a half marathon, that is a sign that you need to RUN FASTER!

FTFY.

And just 52 seconds faster.

joescott

I'd put several priorities ahead of time & distance, including traffic control & safety, and port-o-potty availability probably.

But getting the time of the winner wrong - that's a pretty impressive screw-up. Smile

Oh, sure.  Like not getting killed by cars is more important than time and distance.  Sheesh.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh, sure.  Like not getting killed by cars is more important than time and distance.  Sheesh.

Oh come on. Haven't you seen the numbers at the rock-and-roll profit centers? Running has become very popular and amateurish, and all the traditional values have been overthrown, and people just value pansy crap like pretty shoes, and pretty clothes, and not getting run over, and everyone getting a medal, and all that. The sport is essentially over.