Strength Training and Diet (Read 978 times)

Matt_Squires

I just introduced strength training into my workout routine about a month ago and was wondering if there are types of foods I can eat to help me with lean muscle and still burn some fat. A buddy of mine said to eat no more white bread and eat nothing but wheat from now on and to drink milk after I get done working out. I was also kind of wondering if peanut butter was ok. I don't know alot about strength training and dieting at the same time so if anyone has any suggestions please hit me in the face with them. Black eye
      Strength training requires you add mass, while dieting is subtracting. You aren't going to be able to do either as efficiently as if you were focused on one or the other. So long as you are comfortable with that, you should be able to do both. You need to make sure you are getting plenty of protein, is going to be your biggest requirement. Lean protein like fish or chicken breast will help build muscle. I also like shrimp, myself. Drinking milk after workouts is a common weight lifter strategy for bulking up, but I'm not sure I would recommend it if trying to slim down, as milk also has plenty of sugar/fat in it. Grilling up a chicken breast or something would probably be better. Same with peanut butter, lots of protein, but typically plenty of fat too. That said, you might still use both to make it easy on yourself. especially if you like them. Not sure what your situation is with burning fat, as far as where you are starting from. It looks like you aren't logging all that many miles per week. If you add some muscle (which will raise your metabolism itself) and up your weekly mileage to 20 or so (which tends to up your metabolism more), you'll probably start shedding weight at a reasonable rate. Hope that helps at least a bit.
      Matt_Squires

Well I don't wanna bulk up at all. I just want to be in shape and lean. I originally started at 280 and I'm at 210 right now. I'm trying to do rotate my cardio and incorporate using the eliptical/bike/jogging into it. Before I was doing just straight jogging and getting in about 15 miles a week.The main reason that I quit jogging as much was that I was tending to get sore alot so I kind of down graded my mileage. Even when I work out I hardly ever do my max at all. For example, I'll do maybe 30 pound curls (and do different other techniques for biceps) in each hand but just do more sets/reps. As far as my diet goes I'm eating ALOT of tuna (at least a can a day), Wheat bread, about a gallon of water, Fat Free milk, and fruits and veggies.

Philly Curse

When doing strength training...dont focus too much on biceps. Your biceps will grow from doing various other lifts such as rows, lats, bench, and pretty much anything using your arms. Doing a few sets of curls a week is fine..but dont waste your time. Developing back muscles will help you burn more fat, same with doing squats, bench, deadlifts. These big moves all help raise metabolism.
            I'd also further expand your friends recommendation that you go with 100% whole wheat products. Many wheat breads out there are just as lame as white bread. Peanut butter is a good source of fat and some protein. I don't know anything about tuna other than I don't like it Wink You mentioned previous soreness after your workouts. It may be that you are not properly refueling. If you eat soon after your workout, you should be able to prevent some of that muscle soreness in addition to resynthesising your muscles and refueling your energy stores. If your doing extensive cardio, make sure your eatting carbs and also some protein after your workout. I like Kashi Go Lean with milk and a sliced banana. If you want to focus on building muscles, do your cardio and weights on alternating days, or do your cardio first. For lean, endurace based muscles, you want to choose a weight load that is challenging that allows you to lift high reps. You can go a little less challenging on your hamstrings, and as already mentioned, concentrate on the exercises that work large muscles across multiple joints . Without knowing you, I'd go for 12-15 reps of 2 sets. Be sure to eat enough protein after your strength workout to help generate muscle repair and growth. I like turkey and chicken sandwiches after I lift, which I think was mentioned in a pp. Good Luck!
            runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I added weights to my workouts about 2 months ago and love the results. Big grin I lift 3 times a week (once legs, twice arms, each time I also do core as well). I try to use dumbbells when ever possible and do 3 set of 12. I am not doing a lot of weight but by the third set of twelve I am tired. I also do not add weight until the weight is too easy. I found that I feel stronger on my long runs, and my weight is staying about the same. Plus doing some weight can also help prevent injuries. Wink

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Matt_Squires

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm trying to alternate my weight training in the way that I do it. Like I just won't use one tricep machine or one bicep machine, but I'll use things like the big cable machine we have (has a bunch of pullies and cables on it I don't know what you call it). I also jog and then go lift weights. Is that what some of you guys do? Or should I do nothing but cardio one day and then weight training the next? I'm still a beginner when it comes to weight training and in alot of ways jogging.

Philly Curse

personally I seperate different muscle groups into different days. So mondays for me may be shoulders and legs, tuesday chest and triceps, wednesday back and legs, and then thursday would be shoulders ( I only want to do legs MW since my long runs are sat), then chest and tris on friday. Then the next week i start where i left off so monday would be back and legs. Everything I do is in the 10-15 rep range. Also I throw core in a couple days a week. I find that this works out well for me. Good luck
                    Good question.... In the last year, my parents were introduced to a strength training program that was a motivator to help them stay in shape. We began lifting weights about three times a week and eating whole grains and foods with nutritive value in them. We had fun with trying new recipes and eating different foods. The trainer encouraged foods like Clif Bars, yogurts, fruits, and foods brands that are all organic (i.e. Kashi, etc.) But, he also explained that you should have a variety of foods in your diet; you shouldn't be eating from the same food group 75% of the time or you won't get the results you want. As far as peanut butter goes, it's a good pre-workout snack. It has a lot of protein in which builds muscle. I thought the best part about the program was seeing what works best for you. Try different things and see which healthy foods respond to your body in a postive way. k P.S. One of the books that was used in the training program was called Living Longer Stronger by Ellington Darden, PH. D. You might want to check it out.
                      lean meat, egg whites, lots of veggies... and oatmeal, fruit, and baked potatos for carbs.. if you have a lot of dairy and wheat products it tends to bloat you.. doesnt mean stay away from them ... they are boring foods but my husband is a personal trainer and his clients have really done well with this type of eating.
                      Matt_Squires

YOU GUYS ROCK!!! By the way, I've found if I watch the last 5 minutes of 300 I'm so pumped up it's not even funny. If you guys like it give it a shot :P. See you guys and thanks!!
                          Hey Matt - ? Or should I do nothing but cardio one day and then weight training the next? I'm still a beginner when it comes to weight training and in alot of ways jogging. They are two different states, one state builds muscle, the other burns energy (along with improving function of heart / lung/ etc). Personally I would seperate them for this reason however you can do on the same day once you establish your goals (and remember to keep enough energy to complete the whole workout) If you want to lose weight, do the cardio last. Having done strength and cardio on the same day will give you a little bit more energy burning action going on. If you want to build muscle, do the strength last. Eat your protein afterward. The reason is that once you complete weight training, you go into an anebolic state where your muscles are ready to ready to repair and grow. If you skip the food and go straight to cardio, you knock yourself out of this mode and go into an energy burning mode and you lose a great chance to build some of that muscle. (btw: I was not able to get through the first 5 minutes of 300 so I'll skip that but thanks!)
                          Matt_Squires

The last time I worked out on friday I did thighs and gluts pretty heavy. I wasn't hardly sore at all from it friday and saturday but man, it sure is now and started to be sore around sunday. Any of you guys ever have a problem like this? Or know what causes you not to be sore the day after but a couple days after you work out.