Speaking of budgeting.... (Read 850 times)

Prince of Fatness

I found this interesting.....

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/01/25/workers-spend-3000-year-on-coffee-lunch/

I bring my coffee and lunch from home most days.  I knew that I saved money doing so but never tried putting a dollar figure on it.  I guess that it is significant.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I found this interesting.....

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/01/25/workers-spend-3000-year-on-coffee-lunch/

I bring my coffee and lunch from home most days.  I knew that I saved money doing so but never tried putting a dollar figure on it.  I guess that it is significant.

Work 50 weeks/yr = 250 days.  $4/day = $1000/yr.

My wife is proud of my ability to consume leftovers.  I bring my own coffee most of the time, since they made me get rid of the one in my "office".

$12 per working day....crazy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

damn..

I would so rather save that for dinner out at a really nice place once a week. 

Although truthfully, dh never packs lunch but he spends under $15 a week at the work cafeteria.  Sometimes he gets breakfast.  He buys cheap things and the cashier has a little crush on him and often "forgets" to charge him for little extras.  I'm ok with that.  Hope she doesnt get fired. 

I spend $1.40 per week on coffee out with friends. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Wow, that's some savings.

My wife is proud of my ability to consume leftovers.  I bring my own coffee most of the time, since they made me get rid of the one in my "office".

I've been very good at eating leftovers, too, but much less adept at remembering to bring them into work.  I'd worked around that shortcoming by just eating them the night before, but that proved a poor long-term strategy.

On the coffee front: we have some sort of ass-coffee (Flavia or somesuch--and nothing personal to those out there who might make a living at one of those ass-coffee companies).  We also have two Bunn machines, each stocked with a supply of (relatively) good coffee (ground beans in foil bags; filters) and a squadron of carafes as generically seen at conferences and whatnot.  A defiant soul decided one day to forego the ass-coffee and instead brew a carafe for the common man (or himself, it's unclear).  Today, there is always a carafe of piping-hot good coffee in R&D.

Be your own Occupy movement.  Worked for us.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Wing

Joggaholic

I'm glad I'm not into coffee. But then I started running and drinking these expensive ensure crap to maintain my caloric intake...

I expense most of it.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

I'm glad I'm not into coffee. But then I started running and drinking these expensive ensure crap to maintain my caloric intake...

does not compute. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ugh, ensure..... Have you tried just eating more?

Coffee is THE best example of how a small thing can add up to big money over time. I can't believe that I used to burn that much cash buying coffee 4, 5, 6 times a week.

Wing

Joggaholic

Ugh, ensure..... Have you tried just eating more?

Yup, all the time. My body is just not energy efficient.

I drink coffee non-stop, and I've never paid a dime for it at work.

But, the Keurig invention has increased my dang budget for coffee at home.

It's the best thing ever, but that coffee is pretty expensive (maybe $0.40 / cup).

Better than Starbucks prices, I guess.

And, I've realized years ago the cost of restaurants and lunches.  That's one of the reasons I started running.  $30 / month at the gym is better than the cost for lunch at restaurants.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Wing

Joggaholic

does not compute. 

Some info may help: I was 5'9" @ 120lb before I started running 6 months ago.

It's the best thing ever, but that coffee is pretty expensive (maybe $0.40 / cup).

You may have been called an ass-coffee drinker above.  

Glad to have helped.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Espresso machine at my office. Free. 1-2 times per week, I work at my other office, where I pay $1.37 for a large coffee, and $0.75 for a refill

Lunch, I mostly eat leftovers.

But all food and coffee costs money. Money spent, annualized, becomes big numbers...

Feeling the growl again

And, I've realized years ago the cost of restaurants and lunches.  That's one of the reasons I started running.  $30 / month at the gym is better than the cost for lunch at restaurants.

If you make it at home and bring with you, you can start with even good quality beans and it's still very cheap compared to buying anywhere.

I have an insulated travel mug and a $10 WalMart briefcase thermos...hot coffee all day.  But if I get past 3 cups I eat a hole in my stomach anyways.

Right now I have to break myself from the diet energy drinks the new baby days got me into...now that crap will get expensive right quickly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills