How long is too long...? (Read 1150 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No, not THAT, ya' pervs! Evil grin I know it's better for a running shoe to be a little on the long side, as opposed to too short (to avoid blistered toes and black/falling off toenails). I am finding that the update of my primary shoe is quite a bit more generous through the toebox--enough that I think I could maybe stand to go down a half size with my next pair, especially with lighter-weight Summer socks. I'd say the shoe is maybe almost an inch longer than my longest toe (definitely a bit more than a thumb's width). But how much shorter would the next size down likely be? A half size is generally about a centimeter shorter or longer...right? Confused I've never had a shoe be too short to the point of causing problems, so I think I've maybe erred kinda far in the opposite direction. Just how short is *too* short and how much too long would a shoe have to be to be troublesome...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

I've run with shoes that were one size up but only because they didn't slip. That was in the day of No Returns. If they slip or feel loose I would resize. Just my 2 kroners.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They don't slip too much (granted, the longest run I've done in them is 7 miles--I'm contemplating 15 tomorrow...I may notice more issue, then) or feel super loose...but maybe just a little looser/longer than necessary. Tying them really snugly and using the lace-lock technique is adequate, for now. But I'm wondering if I might be wise to downsize for my next pair, since I am prone to heel-slippage. It's kinda strange, since the earlier model actually felt maybe a hair short in the same size. And that may be the issue--I may have simply become so accustomed to that glove-like fit and even most wide shoes being pretty snug that these just will take some adapting to.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have wide feet.
          Well, you have to support those calves somehow! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Yep, I clicked just to see how long is too long? Hah! I should have know that there isn't such a thing as too long. Smile *Hah! Sometimes I crack myself up!*
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd say if it causes pain it's too long...that applies to shoes, too. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I'd say if it causes pain it's too long...that applies to shoes, too. Evil grin
                True that.
                "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

A Saucy Wench

Ive had problems with shoes being too long, I tend to grab with my toes if they are too big.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

These shoes sound too long to me. A thumb's width is the max I like to go. I know what you mean about new models having different sizing!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ive had problems with shoes being too long, I tend to grab with my toes if they are too big.
                      Hmmm...I just did a long run in them and my feet were cramping pretty badly (kind of on the outside arch area, just below the ball of my baby toes) by about 10 miles in, so I cut my run to 14 miles, instead of the 15 I had hoped to do. I think it may be a case of "too much, too soon" in a new shoe (only had about 17 miles on them before this run), or maybe the insoles not quite conformed to my feet (same model insoles I have used in both pairs of 902s). Would a too-long shoe and doing that toe grab cause arch pain? This is really strange, since I have not had this problem with the 902s. Now I'm tempted to take them back and see if I do, indeed, need to go down a half size.

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

Zoom - isn't one of the PF drills a curl your toe on the carpet or towel thing. Since this is to strengthen the arch, I would guess that doing this consistently for 14 miles would be a likely cause of the arch discomfort.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom - isn't one of the PF drills a curl your toe on the carpet or towel thing. Since this is to strengthen the arch, I would guess that doing this consistently for 14 miles would be a likely cause of the arch discomfort.
                          That's kind of what I'd suspect, too. I do recall one thing. A while back NB had said that for their future wide models they would be actually widening the base/sole of the shoe, instead of simply cutting the uppers more generously. I compared the soles of my 902s and 903s. They are identical in length, but the sole of the 903 is just a couple of millimeters wider and it definitely feels roomier through the toebox and midfoot. Not a bad sensation, but I think part of the reason I have been wearing the 8s in the past is that I still need a little extra width (think duck feet *quack*). Now that the shoe is truly wide I'm thinking maybe I don't need to go up that extra bit in length so much anymore. Tomorrow I think I will run down to the NB store if there is time to see what they can do and if I could benefit from a shorter shoe.

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

Sounds like a good idea. My wife has to wear wide shoes and she has a h#*@ of a time finding ones that fit. Alas I am lucky to not have this issue. Good luck at the store but thats why we support the local running store. Try returning or getting help from the online stores like that. I think not.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds like a good idea. My wife has to wear wide shoes and she has a h#*@ of a time finding ones that fit.
                              It's truly been a saga and I have at least 3 pair of shoes floating around the house that just didn't work--that gets really friggin' $$. The ONLY shoe that has worked for me AND fit well in the past 6+ months is the NB 902...then they discontinued it. Gah. I may try to give the 903s a couple more runs before going back to the NB store. I'm still not convinced that the problem isn't mostly due to trying to do too long a run in a shoe before the shoe and insole (I use Sof Sole "Arch" insoles) are well broken in. Seems to me that I never wore my 902s for a long run until I had closer to 50 miles on a new pair. So maybe this is the problem.

~ Sarah Kay