I can run my race!!!!!!!!! I need help your help (Read 755 times)

Big grin I got the best new in my life I can run my race!!!! I could not run these past two weeks due to very very bad knee pain. I went to the ortho doc. and got a shot and can run the race. after that I will go in for a minor surg. question how much have I lost in these two weeks? I am running a 26.2 goal befor the injury was 3:40 or under. what should I go for now. I am soooooooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lazy idiot

You got a shot so you could run, then have surgery after your race? I'll say that there are probably more details needed.

Tick tock

I was soo happy yes there was a lot more. I wish it was just the shot but it's the first good new in a while! I have a pice of "floating " cart. rubbing my knee cap raw. they will go in and take it out. Untill then I got a cort shot to help with the swelling. so I can run x-rays were fine the mri lead to this.

Are you serious? Is this a joke? Last time I checked there is no gain other than personal for running a 3:40 marathon time. It's not like you are getting paid millions of dollars and you have to play in the Superbowl. Stop running, have your surgery if needed and then rehab from the surgery. Then think about starting running again. Then at some time later, think about running a marathon.
          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
            what a load of garbage. of course there's something to be gained--she trained hard for her race and wants to do it. obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to get cortisone shots regularly, but i think (assuming that this is a one time thing) it's really understandable. to answer the original question--i don't think you will have lost too much fitness at all. were you able to x train at all while you couldn't run? maybe you can look at it as a "forced taper" and adjust your goals slightly by going out more conservatively.
              yes I have been walking and the bike. also some phys. training. This is a huge goal that shot was a one time. I have that Plica stuff. thank you for all your help! and yes I do have very large goals. we all should! thats why running rocks.
                You go get 'em bunnyrunner! I doubt you lost much at all. As for some other "advice" presented, of course it's personal, whether you are a pro or duffer, or get paid or not. Why should we let setbacks derail us? Seems you are reasonable: you had a problem, sought treatment, maintained fitness and, when cleared, decided to go after the goal. It's not as if the doc said, DON'T run OR ELSE and you said, eff you, I'm doing it anyway.

Maybe I came off a little too sarcastic. However, IMO, anyone who gets a shot of cort in their knee so they can run a marathon should also have their head examined. But hey, looks like everyone else thinks its a good idea, so go for it.
                  Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

SMART Approach

You can run if you got clearance. Probably didn't lose much. BUT, start a bit conservative though as if you were running a 3:50 marathon- you don't want a miserable experience.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'd be worried about how that knee is going to hold up for 26.2 miles. It sounds pretty sketchy. Good luck.
                      finney

Resident pinniped

Maybe I came off a little too sarcastic. However, IMO, anyone who gets a shot of cort in their knee so they can run a marathon should also have their head examined. But hey, looks like everyone else thinks its a good idea, so go for it.
                        You're apologizing for being sarcastic, so now you're just going to be a jackass? Are you this positive all the time? Since we're talking about gains, what do you hope to gain by having an attitude like that? If you don't think this is a good idea fine, but there's no need to attack anybody. Bunnyrunner, however, I would MAKE SURE your doctor knows what you are undertaking and is as sure as anyone can be that your knee will hold out the race without causing any further damage. Getting a second opinion from a sports medicine doc might not be a bad idea either. Good luck!
                          thank you all, yes my ortho is also in sports med. he takes care of runners mostly but also a few pro teams as well. It as been 48 hrs I will try to run a 3 mile today. knee feels good walking no pain. I could not belive I got the go a head but he says just this time I can run the race. I know if today my run is painful I may go for the 1/2 instead. I have his cell number so I can call him after too.
                          seeEricaRun

Awesome

Her orthopedist cleared her, and he (she?) might, you know, know what he's talking about. She's not running against medical advice. I've gotten cortisone shots in my hip to be able to run. I didn't think it was a huge deal for me, and I doesn't sound like it is for bunnyrunner either.
                              I start at 6am on Sunday...... Shocked i'm happy and sad for it to be almost all over with. next year here I come faster and no knee probs!