Where did I go Wrong?? (Read 424 times)

ckerr1999

I ran my second marathon today, and despite getting a personal best, I was very very disappointed. Last year I ran my first marathon with a time of 4:09. Today I ran 4:02. A personal best by 6 minutes. However through 20 miles I was on pace for a 3:40 marathon but ended up having to walk most of the last 6 miles because I was in so much pain. I thought at the very least I would be in the 3:55 range.

I know my training wasn't perfect, and my taper was way too steep. However I have been sick the last two weeks and had to cut back my mileage more just to get healthy for today. And I didn't follow a formal training plan. For August and September my long run was in the 14-16 mile range. I never went past 16 miles this training cycle. I am thinking in future training cycles I need to be hitting 20 miles consistently and need more speed work.

In terms of racing strategy, my fueling strategy was spot on. I ran with the 3:40 pace bunny through the 19 mile mark. In the early part of the race his pacing was much quicker then 3:40. A 3:40 marathon is 8:23 a mile and we were much closer to 8:00 mile through the half.

Any advice or recommendations would be great appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Feeling the growl again

The simple answer is you went out too fast for your conditioning.  You said you were closer to 8:00 pace through half...well south of 3:40 pace....so you crashed.  Unless you were gunning for 3:30, you went out too fast.

Looking at your log, you only have 5 weeks north of 40 mpw training for this race.  Longer long runs is only a partial answer.  More speedwork is certainly not the answer.  The #1 thing you need to do is run more.  #2 would be tempo work.  I would put a longer long run at #3.  With 40ish mpw, a 20 mile long run is half your weekly mileage.  That is an incredibly unbalanced approach.  Other than that one run per week, you would scarcely be doing runs of any significant distance.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

NHLA

Congrats on your second marathon.  Like Spaniel said the answer is more miles.   I would add some MP runs also.

You may have to run a few more marathons before you run your best.  It is so hard not to go out too fast.

Bump your daily runs up to about eight miles and run lots of hills.

Run three 20+ long runs in your training cycle.

No advice from me, but I am just curious whether that is normal for a pacer to lead a wrong pace. I've never had a luxury to follow a pacer in a face. However, if a pacer gave me a wrong pace, I'd rather not to have one. As we all know, to run the best of one's ability, the pace is critical.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

No advice from me, but I am just curious whether that is normal for a pacer to lead a wrong pace. I've never had a luxury to follow a pacer in a face. However, if a pacer gave me a wrong pace, I'd rather not to have one. As we all know, to run the best of one's ability, the pace is critical.

It is not normal, but it happens, and plenty of people here can share stories. Pacers are human. Most people will tell you if you are very serious about your race goal, don't put your pacing in anyone's hands but your own.

Dave

It is not normal, but it happens, and plenty of people here can share stories. Pacers are human. Most people will tell you if you are very serious about your race goal, don't put your pacing in anyone's hands but your own.

This.... if you're using a pace group, and you know the pace is off outside of a reasonable margin of error, you need to be able to scrap the pace group and run your race even if that means running on your own.

ckerr1999

The simple answer is you went out too fast for your conditioning.  You said you were closer to 8:00 pace through half...well south of 3:40 pace....so you crashed.  Unless you were gunning for 3:30, you went out too fast.

Looking at your log, you only have 5 weeks north of 40 mpw training for this race.  Longer long runs is only a partial answer.  More speedwork is certainly not the answer.  The #1 thing you need to do is run more.  #2 would be tempo work.  I would put a longer long run at #3.  With 40ish mpw, a 20 mile long run is half your weekly mileage.  That is an incredibly unbalanced approach.  Other than that one run per week, you would scarcely be doing runs of any significant distance.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I am so sore and tired right now. I just started a new job two weeks ago and part of the job is writing a series of regulatory exams. Well guess when the first exam was scheduled for? 9am this morning in downtown Toronto. The exam was easy. But getting there was extremely difficult especially since I can barely walk.

Based on my training what pace should I have targeted going into the race? By the time I hit 20 miles I had no other choice to start walking/running. But mostly walking. I believe at the very least I could have broker 4:00 hours.  How do you know what the right pace you should pick?

I didn't follow a structured training plan this cycle. Probably an error. The issue I have with a structured plan is, the first few weeks are easy to follow. But then they call for an 11 mile run on a Thursday night. The reality is I can't do that many miles on a week night just because of family commitments. I think I can probably push my week night runs to 8 maybe 9 miles.

So more weekly miles, a weekly tempo run at marathon pace, and to a lesser extent longer long runs and some speed work. Anything else

Thanks

Arimathea

Tessa

Congratulations on your second marathon and your PR.

You know you were undertrained, you went out too fast, and you didn't follow a training plan. I'd say under those circumstances 4:02 was a good effort. You asked "anything else?" My question would be what made you choose 3:40 as your goal time? Was that a prediction based on a shorter race time (notoriously hard to predict) or the thought that you should be able to take 30 minutes off your previous time? Or is that your BQ time? Going from 249 minutes to 220 minutes is quite a drop in time and increase in pace.

Pacers are human and don't always hit the mark, and some of them do go out fast to bank time for the second half. It can help to talk to him or her at the expo, if possible, or via email, and ask about his/her planned race tactics.

And every race is different. There are so many variables that it's very easy to get surprised on race day by something unexpected -- could be unpleasant or it could be pleasant. I suspect a lot of us can tell stories about PRs we didn't anticipate setting.

Good luck with your next training cycle!

In my experience, you were kind of doomed before you started.  Peaking at 14-16 miles for long run is a recipe for disaster.  At least it would be for me.

Generally, when I build for a marathon, I try to get to at least 24 mile long runs.  Or at the very least, so that the time on my feet is about the same as my goal time.

Even during my training, I find that I can almost (with a watch or GPS) know exactly when I am approaching the distance of my previous long run.  My form starts to go and things start to get very difficult.

Some people say a 20 mile long run should be enough because the taper, crowd, excitement, etc. should be able to carry you through that last 10k.  That isn't the case for me.  My wall always seems to be the distance of my longest run in the previous 3-4 weeks.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

some call me Tim

Longer long runs on the road is a tricky thing - you don't want to get so beat up it eats into your weekly mileage... which, yes, should be more. Count me as one who's only been back to the sport a few years and thought I could find a clever mix of workouts that would get around that.

Mileage is king.

You might want to approach the long run by time, anyway, building up to the time you expect to spend on your feet on race day. If you do some trail running already, you may want to do an occasional long run off road. It doesn't help you with the problem of pounding yourself into pavement for 26 miles, but I'm nearly 40 and can run 20+ easy on trails and still be able to run the next day. Not so on the road. ymmv. heh.

Latent Runner

Longer long runs on the road is a tricky thing - you don't want to get so beat up it eats into your weekly mileage... which, yes, should be more. Count me as one who's only been back to the sport a few years and thought I could find a clever mix of workouts that would get around that.

Mileage is king.

You might want to approach the long run by time, anyway, building up to the time you expect to spend on your feet on race day. If you do some trail running already, you may want to do an occasional long run off road. It doesn't help you with the problem of pounding yourself into pavement for 26 miles, but I'm nearly 40 and can run 20+ easy on trails and still be able to run the next day. Not so on the road. ymmv. heh.

Trail running rules; I'm 57 and do the bulk of my miles on trails, I even managed over 100 miles one week this summer and my legs were still good to go each and every day.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                        • 2-mile: 13:49
                        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                        • 5-Mile: 37:24
                        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                        jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Based on my training what pace should I have targeted going into the race? By the time I hit 20 miles I had no other choice to start walking/running. But mostly walking. I believe at the very least I could have broker 4:00 hours.  How do you know what the right pace you should pick?

I didn't follow a structured training plan this cycle. Probably an error. The issue I have with a structured plan is, the first few weeks are easy to follow. But then they call for an 11 mile run on a Thursday night. The reality is I can't do that many miles on a week night just because of family commitments. I think I can probably push my week night runs to 8 maybe 9 miles.

So more weekly miles, a weekly tempo run at marathon pace, and to a lesser extent longer long runs and some speed work. Anything else

Thanks

I am not sure why you targeted 3:40 as a goal. It seems a bit aggressive given your training. I would suggest that in addition to adding more miles, run some shorter races (5k, 10k, a half marathon) just to get a sense of what you can do. That information will give you a better idea of what you can expect for a marathon pace. In addition, racing can be fun and it's good experience. Personally, I like to substitute short races for tempo workouts -- I hate those -- several times during a training cycle. As for a training plan, I think it would be good for you to adapt one for yourself. There is no reason you have to run 11 miles on a Thursday night; you can figure out which days work best for you. I have used several plans and have never followed them exactly; I always have to shift days around to accommodate work and family. I'd suggest that you try to get in one long run (12-20 miles) a week and push it to 20 miles at least once, maybe 2-3 times. Then try to get in one "medium" run of 8-12 miles and the rest of your runs can be 4-8 miles.

Read some older posts and follow some threads and you will see that there is a lot of variety in how people train. Some people use plans that don't include any long runs over 16 miles; some people do most of their training on a treadmill; some run in morning, some in the evening, and some in the middle of the day. Find something that works for you and that you have a reasonable chance of being able to stick with.

I agree with others: mileage and more longer long runs.

I also think there are some other important factors like hydration, efficient energy distribution through the marathon and mental toughness (confidence). I focus on the 2nd and 3rd points in my long runs (over 20 mi), in other words, to figure out what my potential MP is, whether I have the confidence to execute it on the race day and how I can cope with the tough moments. I always have doubt moments during the training and races, but practicing in training certainly helps me to manage to overcome those moments in the races.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

. . .  I have been sick the last two weeks and had to cut back my mileage more just to get healthy for today. And I didn't follow a formal training plan. For August and September my long run was in the 14-16 mile range. I never went past 16 miles this training cycle. I am thinking in future training cycles I need to be hitting 20 miles consistently and need more speed work.

Sounds like you know exactly what went wrong.

+1 for more mileage (isn't that almost always the answer?)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Since youre asking..

Taper was too long.. maybe 30 miles the week before and 20 the week of.

But, as much as adding miles... there needs to be workouts in there. Tempos in the 40 min range are great. Maybe a 60 min tempo once a month. And some faster workouts would be great too (if you really want to drop time). In fact, I would go out right now focus on that 5k time.

And we run because we like it
                                Through the broad bright land