Knee issue returning - due to cold weather ?? (Read 625 times)

Hello, I've been running for about a year now. When I first started, I started off to fast (too many miles) and had some knee issues. I actually couldn't run for 2 weeks until my knees healed. After that I started back slowly, building mileage at 10% a week. Well I worked my way up to 25 mpw. My long runs were up to 10.5 miles. I didn't have any knee issues at all during this time but now I am starting to get knee pain again. Mainly in my left knee. I only have knee pain early in the morning when I do my weekend runs. When I run during lunch, I will do 4 to 5 miles with no pain at all. When I run on the treadmil after work I also can do 4 to 5 miles with no pain, but when I go out early on weekends (6:30 to 7:00 am) in colder weather I can only get 2 to 4 miles in before my knee starts to hurt. I've been doing my long runs at 6:30 am for 4 months or so, so I don't think it's time of day that is hurting my knee, I think it could be the colder weather. Has anyone else experienced that or heard that cold weather can cause knee pain? Thanks, Gwin
    2007 Races: 5K: 25 minutes, 10 seconds 10K: 50 minutes, 31 seconds 2008 Races: Half Marathon: 1:55:45 (ZOOMA, Annapolis, MD) 10-Mile Race: 1:25:24 (Piney Point, MD) 2009 Races: Marathon: 4:44:22 (Piney Point, MD)

Lazy idiot

Some people say that shoes need to be replaced between 300-500 miles (your results may vary). Your current shoes (according to your log) are approaching the lower end of this range. Not saying this is the cause of your pain, but it may be something to look at. As far as the cold goes, I usually feel more stiff in the chilly weather, but no more pain than usual is common. Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck getting this figured out!

Tick tock

Actually I replaced my shoes right before Christmas. I bought the same brand and style that I had before because they worked out well. I need to update my log if I am still listing the other shoes. Thanks for the response. Gwin
        2007 Races: 5K: 25 minutes, 10 seconds 10K: 50 minutes, 31 seconds 2008 Races: Half Marathon: 1:55:45 (ZOOMA, Annapolis, MD) 10-Mile Race: 1:25:24 (Piney Point, MD) 2009 Races: Marathon: 4:44:22 (Piney Point, MD)
          It depends on what you mean by "knee pain". If you experiencing symptoms of ITBS, then the cold will definitely make them worse. The likely cause is that cold tends to shorten muscles which puts more pressure on the band where it slides over bone. If you are talking runner's knee then no, cold won't affect it and may even lessen the symptoms. Tom
            When I had a lot of knee pain about a year ago (when I first started to run) I went to see an orthopedic surgeon and he could tell that I had extra cartilage behind my knee cap. He could hear it when he moved my leg from side to side. My twin sister and I had knee pain when we were kids too. Her knees are worse then mine. She is starting the couch to 5K program now and her knees start to hurt after a few minutes. When I have the pain it is like a sharp pain on the outside of my Leg. It feels like it is behind the knee cap. The pain starts out faint but then gets worse until I have to walk. It's a sharp pain and I actually have to limp for a few minutes before it eases up. I just did 5 miles during my lunch break and my knee was fine. No pain at all. It is 40 degrees today so it was warm. The thing that is frustrating, is that I can run during lunch all week, doing 4 or 5 miles, but when I go to do a 3 miler on Saturday morning, my left knee will start to hurt after 1 to 2 miles. This has been going on since Christmas. Before that I could do my 3 mile run on Saturday morning and my 10 mile on Sunday morning with no problems at all. The only thing I can think of, is that it is colder now. Before Christmas my morning runs were early and it was 30 degrees but now in the mornings it is 10 to 15 degrees. Besides it being colder I haven't changed anything else. Thanks, Gwin
              Just a thought But do you do much walking at work? do you stand on your feet at all at your job? If the answer is yes, it may be that the knee and the muscles/tendons associated with it, are warmed up, thus making the lunchtime run easier with no pain? The weekenders might be because you are a bit more sedentary ( purely guessing here) and that you have not been on your feet up and around prior to the runs? Confused Treadmill ( dreadmill as it is referred to around here) is a much softer surface than running outdoors as well, and a much more cushioned surface for the foot to land upon. That would explain why treadmill running does not cause knee pain. Keep in mind as you are still relatively new to running ( Me too!) that all those pesky muscles need strength to keep up with what we are asking of them, so lots of strength exercises will help decrease the pain, provided there is no underlying injury to the knee. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I have an office job, so I am pretty much sitting at my desk. I do move around a lot though, so I am sure I am more warmed up during my lunch runs. When I go out in the morning on weekends, I am out the door about 20 minutes after I get out of bed, so I do feel more stiff when I start out. I stretch and walk about 5 minutes before I start to run, but that might not be enough. I could also be overtraining and it is starting to catch up to me. I started running a year ago but I have always gone to the gym (for the last 10 years) 5 to 6 days a week. Before I ran outside I would do 40 minutes to an hour of cardio (elliptical, stepper, stairmaster, etc) and then lift weights for about 30 minutes. Well since I have been running I haven't really cut my gym time. I run 5 days a week outside and still go to the gym 6 days a week. I've cut my gym cardio down some though. Like today I ran 4 miles at lunch and tonight at the gym I will do the elliptical or bike for 30 minutes and then lift weights. I wont do a full hour of cardio. I've been doing this a long time, but maybe it is starting to catch up to me. My legs might need more recovery time. I do get plenty of sleep though. Probably 8 to 9 hours a night. But I work out a lot. I just love it though. Thanks, Gwin
                  I've recently experienced some pain in my knees and I am wondering if it is due to running on ice. Stretching (which I wasn't doing) helps a lot. I am running slower and can't relax during the runs due to worrying about falling on the ice. I feel every muscle tense up. I don't mind the cold (ran in 5 F), don't mind rain, don't mind wind and really like snow. But the ice is getting me and I'm convinced it's impacting my knees.
                    When I have the pain it is like a sharp pain on the outside of my Leg. It feels like it is behind the knee cap. The pain starts out faint but then gets worse until I have to walk. It's a sharp pain and I actually have to limp for a few minutes before it eases up.
                    Gwin - When you started describing this I would have swore ITBS but then you said behind the knee cap. The symptoms I have with ITBS are the same as you started describing....I've learned to control but this time of year I fight it worse due to the cold temps and anything below 30 degrees I'm on the dreadmill due to that. Does it feel like a rubber band pinging on the outside of your leg?
                    Happy Running,
                    Troy
                    "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

No, it doesn't really feel like a rubber band pinging on the outside of my leg. It's like a sharp pain, usually in one spot during my run. It's always behind the knee cap though, but sometimes it is on the outside of my leg and sometimes it is right in the front. But always a sharp pain under the knee cap. It is usually my left knee. I haven't had any problems with my right knee since my overtraining injury when I first started to run. During that injury I hurt both knees, but the left one did take longer to heal. So my left knee must be worse. Usually before the sharp pain starts, I can tell that it's coming. My knee will kinda get a tight feeling. Then after that (maybe a mile or two) the sharp pain will come. It will get gradually worse until I have to walk. Thanks, Gwin
                      chrimbler

I think I can solve your knee problems...don't run early in the morning on weekends! Big grin
                        Run like you stole it!
                          Maybe it's arthritic, then the cold will affect it. I'd get it xrayed, ultrasound and bone scanned. Great living in Canada..............FREE health care Big grin Seriously it is the only way to know for sure, even a Dr. could only guess, without these tests.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Thanks for all the great responses. I love running in the mornings so I will probably continue that, but stop and walk when I can tell the pain is getting ready to start. Or maybe one morning I will try my run on the dreadmill and see if I get the pain. If I don't, then I might just have to do that until it warms up a little. Thanks, Gwin