races near to your home (Read 252 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

I'm about 6 miles out from a marathon start which will happen this Saturday. That's the main reason I ran it last year because it's just so close by. This year I'm not running it but I will probably go do my long run in the same park, because a 10 year old girl is on the roster (I saw her older sister ran it 2 years ago when she was 10), so maybe I will get to see her run/finish.

kcam

The Silicon Valley Marathon in San Jose used to start (it's now defunct, sadly) about 1/2 block and around the corner from my wife's coffee shop.  The shop was closed on weekends but I'd go to the shop with whatever friends were running the race and make a coffee and kick back on the couches and stretch a little until about 15 minutes from the start time.  Jog out front, do a few strides and get on the start line.  Sweet setup while it lasted.

beat

Break on through

Don't blame me! I definitely liked that old course with that downhill finish.

(and see you this weekend I presume)

ha hah... no blame!  Everything changes.

(I'll be at the Roxbury race; but none of the Halloween races this weekend.)

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

beat

Break on through

Being in Chicago, there are a ton of races within the city and easily reachable by public transportion. Plenty of options but also so many people kind of makes most of them undesirable (at least for me). Just looking now and found two 5ks about 1 mile from my house. Had no idea. They look really small as far as numbers go...maybe it's cheating but an AG placement doesn't look too hard, even at my level. Something to look forward to next year.

That's not cheating... nothing wrong with cherry picking a race once in a while - especially if its close to home!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

CT JEFF

I had a hard time finding races my first year, so if I found one that I could reasonably get to (30 - 45 min) I was interested. Then there is the scheduling issue, so I couldnt do every race near me. There are 2 or 3 races next year that will round-out my knowledge of races in my area. I expect that I will continue to do races near my home primarily, but think in 2015 I will start planning my FMs in other states. There are 3 marathons, NY, CT, RI all on the same weekend. Gonna take some time to put them all under my belt.

Best news, I looked for a local running club. It turns out they are the group running some of the best organized, best deals out there. They hold a 1/4 marathon, 5K and HM over the year.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Best Present Ever

I live in a small city, and just about every local race starts within a mile of my house -- everything from a marathon to a 10 miler to a 5k.  Conversely, I routinely drive 20-45 minutes for long runs, which we often do on country roads or mountain trails ... in fact, gotta go.

TJoseph

There are no races near the small remote town I live in.  There nearest is about half an hour drive away.  I travel a lot for business though and get a lot of chances to race near the hotels I stay at.  I ran at a small 5K last weekend in Maine that was a little over a mile from the hotel I was staying at.  The jog over was a perfect warm up.  I also go to Guam a lot for work.  They have races almost every weekend and about a third of them start from the park right next to the hotel I stay at.

hometown 5k this morning that takes 5-10 minutes depending on traffic or  caught by train going through middle of town.  took 20 minutes home today but had to swing by taco truck.  other races anywhere from 20-90 minutes away.

Mostly harmless

The local HM is my favorite. I know every street, hill and turn. It is without a doubt my favorite race. I just wish it was held a few weeks earlier in the year.  It's always the first weekend in May and in Maryland the temps can sometimes be warmer than what I like to race in.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

NHLA

Closest 10k one mile.  several 5ks and one 8k three miles. ,  50k trail race 15 miles. 30k trail race 18 miles.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My town is big enough to have a good number of races, and small enough that they are easy to get to.  I have bicycled to the local marathon start a couple of times, and more interestingly, back home afterward.

AnneCA

I live in a big enough city that it's not surprising that there are races nearby - regular community 5-10ks - and I run to those usually.  But, then, a couple of years ago, a marathon started, and that's something else.  No need to worry about the porta-potty lines when you don't have to leave your house until 15 minutes before the race starts.

running metalhead

I'm about 6 miles out from a marathon start which will happen this Saturday. That's the main reason I ran it last year because it's just so close by. This year I'm not running it but I will probably go do my long run in the same park, because a 10 year old girl is on the roster (I saw her older sister ran it 2 years ago when she was 10), so maybe I will get to see her run/finish.

Every year I run my local 10K. Before the start I war up on my elliptical, walk to the start line, run, take the medals, catch some breath and take a shower at home Wink
                            The distance from my front door to the starting line is 300-400m.

Even better than just running, I partcipate as a voluntary and I still have time to walk back, dress and warmup and race. I feel very fortunate as it allows me to feel the spirit of the sport in it's whole.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Zam

I have weekly $5 5ks a mile from my door. It's nice to have when you want it.