Cycling harassment (Read 756 times)

jules2

I don't think it's just men.  I see the same attitude with women around here.  I have had some heavier women yell at me to put some clothing on, while running in a sports bra and running shorts, yet those same women are wearing bikinis on the beach...  I think that for some people the fact that people are physically fit, they see red...

I think these are the same women who weigh 14 stone plus and think a 3 by 3 tattoo improves their appearance

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Honestly, I haven't really had that much of any of this done to me.  At most a 'run forest run' or a horn beep at the right time to scare me.  Maybe Californians are more accepting of sharing the roads with those of us that try to get out under our own power?

Me neither.  While in California.  In other regions of the US people aren't as accepting of runners or especially bikers.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

I've run for 35 years, mostly in the South, mostly as a woman, and mostly alone. Nary a prob beyond some teens throwing a water balloon at me once.

What are you people doing to instigate all this fervor from strangers?

I've run for 35 years, mostly in the South, mostly as a woman, and mostly alone. Nary a prob beyond some teens throwing a water balloon at me once.

+1 for the underline portion

(only part I have questions about is the "mostly as a woman" comment)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

TigerEyess

Wait - MOSTLY as a woman?

Feeling the growl again

It seems to be highly regional.  When I lived near Detroit, crap was almost a daily occurrence.  I was full on assaulted on runs twice in six months.  Six years in Indiana, only one accidental running off the road.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

We did the same thing that you did to get a water balloon thrown at you.... Nothing!

It's definitely more of a cycling problem though. Maybe a single bad experience with a cyclist hogging the road started a general hated or maybe it's an ingrained from birth like how dogs hate mailmen. There might even be some merit to this thread's "spandex theory" and I'm sure some scientists have read this are starting up some controlled studies on that right now.

I think it's a mix of teenagers (or adults who still act like teenagers) showing off , angry drivers who get mad that they have to slow down or wait to pass you, and jealous people angry at the world that they don't have the hot bods we do.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Three or four years running in rural East Texas on secluded back roads, no incidents.  Well, one time a car swerved a little close, seemingly on purpose, but if it was, it was a pretty weaksauce attempt at harassment.

It actually often occurs to me how odd it is that I don't get more harassment, being that I'm one of like five people in the area that runs (that isn't on the cross-country team) and the vast majority of everyone else is sedentary.  I generally get cheerful waves and the occasional kid sticking their hand out for a high-five.  Speaking of kids, at the school I teach at, they're fascinated with my running, always asking how far I run every day, noticing the shoes, etc..

I don't know that I do anything to discourage harassment.  It might just be that it's a small community and lots of people know me,  I do try to make sure I show as much courtesy to others, wheeled or not, as possible.  When running, that basically means I get over as far as possible, on the grass if possible, and I always wave politely if I can.  MTA: I'm sure others who get harassed do these things, too...like I say, I don't know exactly what makes it different around here.

Strangely, the few "Run, Forrest, Run!"-type incidents have been when visiting my parents in Northwest Arkansas, which is generally a slightly more "healthy" part of the country (not exactly Colorado, but better than East Texas).

Regarding the spandex...I think it just goes back to the old "look, something different! Haw haw!" that some people just can't grow out of.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

jojo61397

I think these are the same women who weigh 14 stone plus and think a 3 by 3 tattoo improves their appearance

Yep...

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                    Sub- 1:45 hour half.

#artbydmcbride

Wait - MOSTLY as a woman?

Some of that was when she was a little girl!!   Shy

Runners run

NHLA

I've been harassed on the run. I've been harassed on the bike. the only difference is that I have fewer options on the bike and greater potential for serious injury.  so I no longer bike, though I probably will at some point.

This. Gave my bikes away after several close calls. At least when you are running you can jump in the ditch. 

Elly.

I think it's a mix of teenagers (or adults who still act like teenagers) showing off , angry drivers who get mad that they have to slow down or wait to pass you, and jealous people angry at the world that they don't have the hot bods we do.

I think that all the people who harass me while I am cycle are mentally ill and can be dangerous. Since my state is rednecked enough to allow concealed weapons, all harassers are suspect.  I used to give these people the finger (that was before my mentally ill conclusion) and have since changed my gestures to a happy wave when it is at all possible.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

jules2

some cyclists are inconsiderate as you can see from my recent post on FacebookClown

Having just bought a Skoda I was really pissed off when I switched the television on this afternoon and saw two cyclists going up a big hill in france and holding two lovely red Skodas up.
                            There was plenty of room for them to pull over as there were no other cyclists around. There were plenty of Skoda banners around so it was clear there was a car event on. 
                            Its cyclists like that that give us all a bad name, what makes it worse is that apparently they were British, if I'm out in my new Skoda and see them I'll run them over.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Resident Historian

jules2:

Big grin

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

It must be the spandex

But I've always liked Harvey Manning's (famed PNW hiker/climber/writer/curmudgeon) description of mountain bikers on his favorite trials as a bunch of guys riding around in their sister's underwear.