Thoughts on the long run (Read 348 times)

No more marathons

Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike the long run?

Anything up to 12 miles is OK, even enjoyable.  After that - not so much.

Just saying.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

keeponrunning

I have a love/hate relationship with it.  Sometimes my mind wanders and the time flies by, other times my body just says "no" and screams throughout it.  However, I'm always glad I do them when it comes down to beating the bunny Big grin

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Walk-Jogger

For me, it's ALL about the weather and temp. I did an out and back 13.12 miles today outside in 35 degrees, grey skies, and a cold headwind all the way back. My body fat is in the single digits and I am always the first to get cold and the last to get hot, and I hated this run today by the time I was finished. Just confirmed for me a thousand times over why I prefer running indoors in the winter. If it had been 60-70 degrees out there, I would have been euphoric all the way...

Retired &  Loving It

GabrielleB

I'm the opposite. I crave the long run. It's the short runs (4-6M) that I have to drag myself out the door.

I love speed workouts and hills too.Blush

Dream Maker

Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike the long run?

Anything up to 12 miles is OK, even enjoyable.  After that - not so much.

Just saying.

To me, the best is 8-14 miles.  Sweet fun spot where all is wonderful.  I would be quite happy just doing 8-14 miles every day and never less and never more if training was not an issue.

Long runs are generally pretty good.  Have fun doing an easy 20-30.  Not as much as 8-14 because it gets a little boring, but good.

I HATE, HATE runs of less than 5 miles.  It always takes 3-5 miles for me to feel like I'm running and not sauntering like a drunken hippo. Nothing feels good- whether I have run the previous day or rested a while, it just takes a while for me to warm up.  I think I would hate running if I had never forced myself past a few miles, because it was like this even in the beginning for me.

Except today. Today's long run made me hate running a little bit and realize running is pure stupidity.

I expect to have forgotten by tomorrow, but right now I have moment of clarity that I am an utter idiot for doing this.

Revenge of the Nerd

Love it!

By 1979 the Eagles had given up their trademarked country/soft-rock sound for the gritty and cynical edge of The Long Run.  The album's hits included the title track, I Can't Tell You Why  and Heartache Tonight, but it's the non-hits that provided a glimpse into the seamy side of the late seventies L.A. lifestyle...

Uh...wait a minute

Never mind.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Runner100

For me, tthe enjoyment of the long run depends on the course. If I'd got my shit together earlier today, i would have  enjoyed a pleasant 12-14 miles on a lovely out and back trail. Now I've got too head out and do loops around the cold, dark, hilly neighborhood.

Love to go out for 3-5 hr runs exploring.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Chasing the bus

Love to go out for 3-5 hr runs exploring.

Wish I were at that level. Still struggling to get past and maintain 25-30 mpw. But I love that point, after 3-4 miles, where you realize you could just keep going, the legs on autopilot and the mind wandering...

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                    ― Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Wish I were at that level. Still struggling to get past and maintain 25-30 mpw. But I love that point, after 3-4 miles, where you realize you could just keep going, the legs on autopilot and the mind wandering...

That's about all I'm putting in right now, some of that was breaking trail with snowshoes, then snowshoe running (the 2-hr outings to get 4 mi, maybe). I haven't seriously started long runs this winter, owing to ice, overflow, etc. Hope to get one in this week. Keep in mind when the long runs start getting that long on trails, there will likely be some hiking. When I refer to exploring, it will have some stops and hiking and picture taking, etc.

Will you be at Willow Winter Carnival's Frostbite 5k this coming Sat? It's a fun time, and looks like it shouldn't be too cold this year (-30F last year).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I love long runs just so long as:

1. I don't have to run fast at any point

2. It's not hot or humid

3. I am adequately caffeinated before the start. 2-hour run + caffeine headache = Dead

The good thing about being an adult, though, is that if you don't want to do it you totally don't have to Big grin

I look my best blurry!

I ran a 15 miler in the dark and cold last night.  There was a full(ish) moon, I ate a big piece of cake before I left, had hot homemade chicken noodle soup awaiting me on my return, a iPod with a new mix, no real plan where to run, an easy pace goal and I loved every minute of it!!!   I was actually sad when it was over.

mta that I ate a "big" piece of cake and not a "bug"

ooh, the post long run meal! Definitely a highlight of my weekend! Long relaxing run followed by a big ass bowl of carbs and protein: awesome.

I ran a 15 miler in the dark and cold last night.  There was a full(ish) moon, I ate a big piece of cake before I left, had hot homemade chicken noodle soup awaiting me on my return, a iPod with a new mix, no real plan where to run, an easy pace goal and I loved every minute of it!!!   I was actually sad when it was over.

mta that I ate a "big" piece of cake and not a "bug"

I look my best blurry!

Oh yeah!  Stretch and a jacuzzi bath too.  Life is good!

ooh, the post long run meal! Definitely a highlight of my weekend! Long relaxing run followed by a big ass bowl of carbs and protein: awesome.

I like long runs! Smile

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09