First race tomorrow..What should my warm-up look like? (Read 553 times)

Double IPA Please!

Yes, I did do a search but found nothing to really help me, so yes, I will ask a question that has probably been answered before. What should my warm-up look like tomorrow before the race? It is a 10miler. Thanks!

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

JakeKnight

A couple useful threads. I especially like Jim24315's advice in the second thread on 5k/8k warmups: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/af3618bfe3194c4eaaf9bc98b8870904#focus http://runningahead.com/forums/post/271b38f8a7d140f99551eb2d02417836#focus

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Double IPA Please!

Yeah, thanks- I did read that first thread and felt it did not really pertain to me as that was a 5k and Im doing a ten.. I will go and read the 2nd one..

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Double IPA Please!

So, Im thinking if it takes me about 3 miles to warm up- do I do a 3 mile warm up prior? With this being my first race ever, I want to be sure I do it right and don't run the risk of hampering myself in any way.

Go Pre!

My advice would be... This is your first race, and it's not much less than your max distance, so I would say unless you are trying to beat your buddy, a 1 mile warmup followed by some light stretching. Start out at an easy pace and gradually speed up to your race pace.
              Yes, I did do a search but found nothing to really help me, so yes, I will ask a question that has probably been answered before. What should my warm-up look like tomorrow before the race? It is a 10miler. Thanks!
              Don't worry about asking questions that have been asked before. If a question was asked a long time ago there's a big change that many new people haven't seen that thread, so asking it again gives them a chance to either offer advice, or learn from what other new people might say. At least, this is what I think. I like to warm-up before any race because I feel like I'm running stiff if I don't warm-up and stretch a little. I've found that I need less of a warm-up for longer races but for me that works because I'm not running those races at a fast speed. When I run a 5k race I MUST warm up for at least 10-15 minutes. It sounds silly to run that long before a race, but it takes my legs that long to really loosen up and be ready for the constant demand of a fast pace. I've learned the hard way about not warming up. Smile

Michelle

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

A 1 mlie warm-up sounds about right. First race of the year, just enjoy the run. Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

jeffdonahue

I would do a nice easy 10 minute jog and then finish it up with 4-5 strides to wake up your legs. At least that's the warmup I do for most of my races.