Marathon Training (Read 705 times)

I hope I am not kicking a dead horse with this question, but I am a little overwhelmed with all the different training schedules for a marathon. Is there a common theme to all of them? It seems there is a very long run once a week building up to a 20 miler with a rest day after that. In the middle of the week there is another long run; about 10 miles with a rest day after that. Some easier runs on the other 3 days. The third week should be an easier week. Is this about the gist of it? Thank you again! Smile

Hawt and sexy

I am guessing it's your first. Just run lots. Run slowly, save speed for race day. You can work on other things after you get your first one under your belt. If you are new to the running thing, the first marathon should be for fun. You can do a medium long run in the middle of the week if you want to, you also don't have to take days off unless you want to. Marathon training is really flexible.

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It seems there is a very long run once a week building up to a 20 miler with a rest day after that. In the middle of the week there is another long run; about 10 miles with a rest day after that. Some easier runs on the other 3 days. The third week should be an easier week. Is this about the gist of it? Thank you again! Smile
        This is more-or-less what I am doing. I came up with my own plan using a cobbled-together combo of things I saw common to other popular plans and arranged it according to my own schedule. Right now I'm battling a chronic knee issue and taking most of a week off, so I may adjust the remaining 11 weeks of my plan depending upon how the knee heals. I had maintained ~30mpw for 6 months or so before training and had peaked at 40mpw before a 25k in May, so my plan started with 33mpw and I am gradually working up to ~50mpw. I am doing gradual increases for two week blocks, then scaling back for a week. For a second race with more miles/experience under my belt I would probably do 3 weeks of increase with 1 week decreases.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Chris UK

The most common theme would be to do consistent miles every week at a pace that your body can deal with. I think you may gain some training advantage by doing a few more miles per week and this could quite easily be achieved by gradually increasing some of those shorter runs to 6 miles. Settle on a plan that works for you, your body and your lifestyle/circumstances. That will only become obvious after some experience of training. Having peeked at your log I don't think you are going to have any trouble doing a marathon - you've already done an 18 miler at 9.45 pace. Doing what feels right for you is the most important thing but you might also want to check out your suggested training paces by putting a recent race time into this calculator - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm Advise alert - I will not be doing my first Marathon until 2009 but after some consistent training this is what I have currently settled on - Day 1 - 7 miles (easy) Day 2 - 10 miles (inc. 4-6 @ tempo - rest easy) Day 3 - 7 miles (easy) Day 4 - 13 miles (easy) Day 5 - 7 miles (easy) Day 6 - 16 miles - building up to 20 (easy) Day 7 - Day Off This is tailored to me of course based on some experience of what I can handle. I may take an easier week if my body complains too much. Best of luck with your goals.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what's required. One thing I would do differently is use the hard week/easy week approach and do a long run every other week rather than every week. The extra recovery time will be very helpful when your long runs get over 20 miles. I also agree with Willamona that high week mileage is key. Your peak weekly mileage should be at least 50 mpw even for a first marathon. I would also suggest at least three 20-22 mile long runs to get your body burning more fat and less glycogen. Tom
            HOSS1961

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what's required. One thing I would do differently is use the hard week/easy week approach and do a long run every other week rather than every week. The extra recovery time will be very helpful when your long runs get over 20 miles. I also agree with Willamona that high week mileage is key. Your peak weekly mileage should be at least 50 mpw even for a first marathon. I would also suggest at least three 20-22 mile long runs to get your body burning more fat and less glycogen. Tom
              I wouldn't kill myself on getting X amount of milage per week. Find a plan (it sounds like this may be your 1st) for novices and use it as a guideline. Your body will repsond tro proper training. Do your LONG runs. Runners world did an articla recently on amout of mileage needed for "mortals" at differnt races. 30-50 was average for marathon.
              HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured