2019 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 173 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The jacket is out. For Men or women 

Looks especially nice this year.

LRB

I like going to a play because I'm off my feet but still being entertained.

Agreed. It looks like The Temptations Friday FTW. Now I just gotta find about 12 pizza spots and I'll be all set!

Julia1971

Agreed. It looks like The Temptations Friday FTW. Now I just gotta find about 12 pizza spots and I'll be all set!

That looks promising!  (I was looking through show listings and saw Phantom of the Opera.  Left that show completely confused by why it is/was so popular.  Nobody could find that guy and deal with him.  Seriously?)

LRB

Has anyone ever tried to the pre-race dinner? I've never done one before but this one is not too far from my hotel. I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Julia1971

Has anyone ever tried to the pre-race dinner? I've never done one before but this one is not too far from my hotel. I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

I haven't done NYCM's.  It's on my list of things to do just so I can be a complete expert on the race.  In recent years, I've stayed at a hotel with a microwave and a grocery store on the corner so I've eaten in my room.  Maybe next year, though...  I have done the pre-race dinner for Boston and if it's comparable, it's a solid meal and great opportunity to meet other runners.

I think we should be getting out bibs soon...

LRB

I haven't done NYCM's. 

looks like I won't be either, it's $55 per person. Whut

Julia1971

It's bib number day!

Somehow, I'm still in Wave 1.  I'll be in the green start, which is fine.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The benefit of green is that it's much less crowded on 4th Ave AND you get the benefit of bigger crowds. I actually enjoyed my green start more than either of my blue/orange starts.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

HCH

It's bib number day!

Somehow, I'm still in Wave 1.  I'll be in the green start, which is fine.

I am also in the Green start. Tell me more. I have so much to learn. This is my first NYC.

Know anything about the motorcoach tour of the course?

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

scrumhalfgirl

I'm in wave 1 blue, but I think I'm going to slide back to wave 2 to start with a friend. So many of these details are overwhelming to me, even though this is far from my first marathon!

-Jess

Julia1971

I am also in the Green start. Tell me more. I have so much to learn. This is my first NYC.

I've never done the motorcoach tour.  The course video and elevation profile are very helpful, though.  All the bridges act as hills.

I did the motorcoach tour with my family in 2015; I highly recommend it.  I knew already knew the course very well -- I actually helped the driver and tour guide with navigating the correct route  -- but it was fun to share with my family, as well as see different areas of NYC.

My family especially liked stopping for lunch in Brooklyn.  I believe we stopped at mile 8 of the course route.

One caveat:  the tour is fairly long, and it will consume a good part of your day.  You do have the option to leave the bus (and the tour) at different stopping points -- we decided to depart at Central Park rather than taking the bus back to the Javits Center as it was closer to our hotel.

PRs5K 19:41 (5/2017)  10K  45:27 (1/2017)  10m  1:10:41 (4/2017)   13.1  1:36:00 (6/2017)  26.2  3:31:58 (10/2017)

Julia1971

I saw this the other day and forgot to share: Marathon Myths Debunked by NYRR Staffers

I would have thought it was hillier.  (So many people are surprised that my PR is at that NYCM.)

I also agree that the Bronx is not the worst part of the course, IMHO.  That mile going into the Bronx is the worst!  The crowds have thinned, it's Mile 20, and you're going up a bridge.

Hope everyone's feeling ready!  I've had a couple of rough weeks - trying to train for an ultra and a marathon at the same time have left me pretty depleted - but am starting to feel excited!  Will probably work on my playlist today...

John Wood

A couple of newbie questions here, first time doing this race. 

I usually carry a handheld for water, but probably won’t for this one. Don’t want to have something else to carry around after the race. It looks like there is plenty of water at the start, but what about the ferry? Is there water there, or should I bring some for that part of the morning?

I am also tempted to get a jacket. Don’t usually buy anything race related until I actually finish a race. Are there vendors at the finish that sell these, or do I need to suck it up and get this at packet pickup if I decide I want one.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

1) Bring a water bottle for the ferry for sure, obviously one you can dispose. But don't overhydrate, can't stress that enough, as the port-a-potty lines can be rough once you get inside the corrals.

2) There's nothing at the finish. Expect to be herded like cattle out of Central Park as efficiently as possible.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)