2019 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 173 times)

John Wood

Thanks, good advice.

1) Bring a water bottle for the ferry for sure, obviously one you can dispose. But don't overhydrate, can't stress that enough, as the port-a-potty lines can be rough once you get inside the corrals.

2) There's nothing at the finish. Expect to be herded like cattle out of Central Park as efficiently as possible.

Julia1971

1) Bring a water bottle for the ferry for sure, obviously one you can dispose. But don't overhydrate, can't stress that enough, as the port-a-potty lines can be rough once you get inside the corrals.

2) There's nothing at the finish. Expect to be herded like cattle out of Central Park as efficiently as possible.

+1.

Not post-race but there is gear for sale on Monday at the Pavilion.  In addition to regular NYCM gear, there are items with "finisher" on them.

LRB

Got my last workout done and was pleasantly surprised at how light my legs felt. It has been ages since they've felt like anything other than lead.

This week has been good for my body and even better for my head. 7 days to go! Tick-tock, tick-tock...

John Wood

Another question for all you that had done this one before. Originally I had planned on hitting the expo Saturday, but now I’m thinking of  Friday. But for Friday to work, I would need to go there direct from the airport. Which means carrying a backpack with my race wear and a duffle bag. Is that practical? Is there a baggage check at the expo? Or coming in late afternoon Friday am I better with my original Saturday expo plan?

Julia1971

Another question for all you that had done this one before. Originally I had planned on hitting the expo Saturday, but now I’m thinking of  Friday. But for Friday to work, I would need to go there direct from the airport. Which means carrying a backpack with my race wear and a duffle bag. Is that practical? Is there a baggage check at the expo? Or coming in late afternoon Friday am I better with my original Saturday expo plan?

I came up on Saturday one year and went directly to the expo with my duffle and computer bags after my Amtrak got delayed.  (Stressful!) It's definitely doable but a PITA.  (Sorry, I can't remember if there was a bag-check.)  The bib pick-up area is spacious and having carry-on type bags isn't really an problem there.  You can just plop your stuff down on the floor if you need to pull out your wallet or sign something.  But, the floor space in the New Balance race-themed gear area and the aisles in the expo are rather narrow and it's really hard to keep your stuff out of other people's way.  So, I would say, if you really only plan to pick up your bib, going directly from the airport is fine.  But, if you want to enjoy the expo, wait for Saturday.

Julia1971

Got my last workout done and was pleasantly surprised at how light my legs felt. It has been ages since they've felt like anything other than lead.

This week has been good for my body and even better for my head. 7 days to go! Tick-tock, tick-tock...

+1.  I'm trying to dig myself out from over-training and reminding myself that nothing I do in these last few days training-wise really matters. Smile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I know I'm about to jinx it, but...

Weather forecast looks PERFECT for the marathon. We had a similar day last year where it was 40's to start, low 50's to end, with sunshine. If you can get that again, you guys are all going to have such a great race.

Julia - if you feel like you've been over-training, you can still salvage it the last week. Unless you took all 7 days off, the only real mistake people make in this week is running too much! 30-35% (without the race) should be your mileage if you've over-trained.

Good luck everyone!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

John Wood

Yeah, the weather looks too good to be true. I’m thinking of actually racing this instead of doing a tourist run.

LRB

+1.  I'm trying to dig myself out from over-training and reminding myself that nothing I do in these last few days training-wise really matters. Smile

Ugh, it's easier said then done so good luck!

LRB

Another question for all you that had done this one before.

I haven't done this one but as far as mega expos go, it may be worth the inconvenience to go ahead and get it out of the way if you can manage it. Unless of course you plan to do some shopping while there.

LRB

I know I'm about to jinx it, but...

Well, if you jinx it and it's colder then it's cool. Literally.

jfa

Good luck to all racers this Sunday !!

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

I'm the 3:50 pacer this year.   This will be my 13th NYC and I've been pacing it each year since 2013.

Happy to give advice if anyone want some.

Which start/wave do you go out with as a pacer?  My first marathon and no clue how the pacers go out. I had a great run at the NJ Half in Longbranch back in April running the first 6 miles with the 1:40 pacer and felt so good I increased my pace to finish at 1:37 (last mile was a 6:40)

I'm orange / wave 2 running with three goals:

1. finish

2. under 4

3. 3:40

hoping to go out at 1:50 - 1:55 for first half and see how I'm feeling to move up to 3:40 pace and then see what's left in the tank after mile 20-21.

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

First, looks like the weather forecast is going to hold up. You guys are so lucky! Weather here has been way too warm for a marathon lately, but looks like a front is moving through on Thurs/Friday that will break the weather and leave it PERFECT for Sunday.

I wonder if any of the course records will be broken this year.

JZ - Here is the info for pacers: https://scblob.nyrr.org/nyrrsitecoreblob/nyrr/pdf/marathon-pdfs/nycm19_paceteaminfochart_unframedmeterboard_final2o_lores_referenceonly1.pdf

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Anneliese Schulz

What are you guys going to wear to the race and during the race? In my 3/4 marathons I've worn shorts and a singlet or dri fit tshirt. I wore a long sleeve and shorts for Boston 2018... Let me know! Also how do most people get to the start of the race?