goal calendar? (Read 1396 times)

corland

First; Awesome site! TY Maybe this is already an option, but I think it would be helpful to list daily/weekly/monthly goals somewhere. Could it be added to the calendar somehow? I want to start a marathon training program soon and would like to list the mileage goals somewhere so I can plan the rest of my life around running. (Yes I'm becoming addicted) Smile
    eric :)

Corland, I've been struggling to come up with a training schedule feature. The obvious solution is too complicated for the average user, which is why I'm struggling. There are several posts regarding this posted in this forum. You can go through them, and come back with your idea of how it should be done. It is something that I'm planning to add this year. eric Smile
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I'd find it helpful too. Currently I use the calendar on Hotmail to write out my workout plans. That way I can get to it on the internet wherever I happen to be. It would be convenient to have it in the same place as where I'm actually logging my runs. I've thought about how you could do it, and it seems kinda tricky. Here's a few ideas I've come up with so far... You know how you have "new running entry" and "new swimming entry" and all that? You COULD put in new workout categories "New running plan" and "new swimming plan". Keeping the same format for the plan vs the actual entry . Another (more efficient) way to do this would to be put a check-box in the entry forms that says "Is this a plan?" ... or you could allow future dates and program it to assume all entries with future dates to be plans. Then, under the calendar, you would want to have a few options or checkboxes or radio buttons - one each for viewing plans and workouts (and maybe one box for " both.") This could get you a pretty messy calendar (you may need to put in a weekly-view format just to fit the details in!) but it would work. You already have the calendar putting out an abbreviated verson of the workout. Why not an abbreviated version of the plan? (With, of course, the option to drill-down to see the details. That would be nice too...) Well, maybe I should have been a computer programmer so I could go and write this stuff myself... If what I wrote seems confusing, feel free to email me and I'll try to be a little more coherant! yanelh@hotmail.com Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

runjoelrun

Hi Eric, Sorry if you get this a lot. all your effort on the great tool is very much appreciated. But has this functionality progressed? Still looking for ideas?

Running safely

As a new RA user, I was just thinking the same thing. I think it has more to do with the fact that we are at the end of the year. I have a mileage goal for this year that I am really focused on right now. It would have been nice to have a count down to my goal. I put in my goal for the year and it tells me how many miles I have left. Or, the same thing could be done for monthly. It could be a number that we could put in for a monthly goal and the log would just calculate how many miles left. I am not looking for a full training program setup. I just want basic number crunching. I realize for many runners my ideas would be simplistic since they will run differing amounts of miles each week/month. But I am sure many are like me who just want to try and run consistently through the year. I have really enjoyed the log as it is. I would hate to see it get too complicated. That is the reason I am drawn to RA as opposed to many other logging sites. David
            Wingz

Professional Noob

David - you might enjoy one of our pace bunny groups - they're set up for 1000 kilometer, 1000 mile, 2000 kilometer (new!), 1500 mile, and 2000 miles. If your yearly goal is near one of those numbers, you could join and try to make sure you stay with the "pace bunny" that is graphed. Welcome!

Roads were made for journeys...

Running safely

Thank you for the tip. I was just learning about the groups today. I will have to dig around and see which one I need to join.
                Gig

I stole a solution from another RA member. It might have been Zoom. I put my goals in my signature. Now every time I post a message to a board (including the 1,000 Mile club, which turned me into a committed runner, or maybe a runner who ought to be committed), I'm reminded of my goals. And you better believe that as some of those goals fall, I'll be checking them off or maybe revising them.
                    I used to enter my scheduled runs as "Scheduled Run" in the New Entry. Then I found out about Google Calendars, with different colors for different activities, turn your spouse/kids on or off to clarify the view, etc. I love it. It doesn't total the "goals". But still - worth checking out. For instance - we have Family, DHs run schedule, My run Schedule, School #1 schedule, School #2 schedule, Basketball Schedule, Holidays, Phases of the Moon, all on 1 calendar,available from any connected computer!
                    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado