Im an Idiot (Read 761 times)

This message is generated as confirmation of your recent registration on Active.com. You have been successfully registered for the following: Registration: Nationwide Better Health Columbus Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, Corporate Wellness 5K & Red Nose Run Purchase Date: 10/06/08 Category: Marathon Event Date: 10/19/08 Ran a marathon 2 weeks ago woefully undertrained. I am in better shape for this one (yes, still undertrained though)--which is really a training run for Las Vegas in December. Ive run 7 marathons since I started running 2+ years ago. And even when I am properly trained, I usually start cramping at mile 20 or just before. I dont typically feel horribly run down, but I always have cramping--normally starting in my thighs. Was on pace for a 4:20 1/2 way through Dayton 2007, but cramped severely around mile 18. I worry that Im taking too many fluids as it is. I mostly drink water accompanied by gels. I switched to Gatorade late in Dayton--I felt I was taking to much water. Is there anything I can do given my lack of miles to guard against the cramping this time around?
      Run more. Eat potassium tablets.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

JimR

If we could just 'take stuff' to prevent cramping and problems in marathons, we'd all be doing that instead of training.
        JakeKnight

Is there anything I can do given my lack of miles to guard against the cramping this time around?
          Given your lack of miles ... nope. That's sort of like asking: given my lack of money, can I still buy that car? You can try to eat right, get lots of sleep. Make sure you've got enough sodium and potassium, as has already been said. But in the end:
          Run more.
          ... is the answer. Run more. If your log is accurate, run lots and lots more. At 60 miles a week, most of those problems vanish on their own. At 60 miles per month, they're never going away.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

A Saucy Wench

walk more and walk early? Perhaps a gallowalk method will help you get through with less cramping. No matter your short speed ability 4:20 is fast for that kind of mileage. I dont think the answer lies in food or drink and 2 weeks isnt long enough for run more to really help much.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JakeKnight

walk more and walk early? Perhaps a gallowalk method
              Good thinking. That's probably the only shot you've got. Ironically, you'll probably PR by half an hour if you try it. I'd walk a minute out of every 5, from the very start. (And for the love of God, stay to the right and don't get in the way). You should listen to Ennay. She's going to Boston. So she knows stuff.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Define "properly trained."
                  JimR--I know my training has been lacking. All Im asking is given where Im at whatis the best way to avoid cramping.Wasnt asking for a 'magic pill' Like I said, when I was training properly and putting the miles in--not elite training miles..but 40+ a week,I still cramped. Thought maybe sodium deficiency or potassium (thanks red). Really this is a supported long training run--or Im trying to convince myself of that. I like the walk run/idea for this one. Ive alsways had trouble running after Ive started walking in the past. But maybe doing that from the start will work.
                    Properly trained- for me--30-40 mpw with 2-3 runs of 18-20 miles. THis was the case for my first and 2nd marathons. The 2nd was my best. That was Vegas 2006 which I also ran after Columbus (my very first marathon).
                    JimR

JimR--I know my training has been lacking. All Im asking is given where Im at whatis the best way to avoid cramping.Wasnt asking for a 'magic pill' Like I said, when I was training properly and putting the miles in--not elite training miles..but 40+ a week,I still cramped. Thought maybe sodium deficiency or potassium (thanks red).
                      Yeah, I got all that from the original post. Unfortunately, it really doesn't change the answers much. 40+ a week is still pretty marginal training for a full, and there's a lot of room between there and 'elite' training. You're looking for something you can do during the race to prevent cramping, as though people out there do special things in the race and, because of those things, finish cramp-free. It doesn't work that way. There's stuff you can do in the race that'll make you cramp worse (or bring em on even if you're trained properly) like not bothering to hydrate or not carb loading in the days leading up, or try to run it at 5k pace...always a good tactic. Even doing all those things right won't stave off problems if you're undertrained. It's just the way it goes.
                        wasnt looking for a magic bullet to make this marathon pleasurable and pain free. Believe me I know what lies ahead. I went through it two weeks ago. I got some good ideas on what I CAN do at this point to minimize the suffering and get the most out of what I can given the training up to this point. thanks