Quick Survey: pre-marathon meal. Go! (Read 907 times)

2 easy questions. 

1- what do you eat before your marathon, and

2- how long before the race do you consume it?

Thanks!

mark

Slice

I've only done one, but I had oatmeal, waffles with PB & coffee 2 hours before & a protein bar a bit later. It was hard to choke that down at 4am but I didn't get hungry like I did in my training runs. I plan on doing the same thing for next month's marathon.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Two pop tarts.  Raspberry.  About two hours before the race, washed down with some Gatorade.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Half a bagel w/ cream cheese. The other few times where I've had a croissant or a full bagel or yogurt or something I've had very bad stomach problems. I don't ever eat anything before long runs, though.

xhristopher

PB&J (or nutella) on a lightly toasted english muffin or bagel w/ coffee 2 hours prior.

Same meal for all races.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Greek yogurt and granola 2hrs before the run.  Blueberries if I can swing it.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

JML

Strawberry frosted poptarts two hours before the race......and coffee.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

I'm a pop tart kinda guy, too. Cinnamon sugar flavor, 1-2 hours pre-race.

2 cups of coffee.

I got the pop tart idea off of someone on RA. Made sense to me and it works well!

Oatmeal is an ideal one, but often runners find themselves away from a place to cook it up on race morning or the travel time doesn't allow for a hot bowl of the good stuff, so the pop tart is super. 

Bruno

Two Eggo whole wheat/NutraGrain waffles toasted plain (ie no syrup) and a small glass of water. I eat it like 90 minutes to 2 hours before the race. Good luck with your marathon!
                    JML

I got the pop tart idea off of someone on RA. Made sense to me and it works well!

I think that the pop tart idea originated with Trent.    I tried it once and was sold.  Easily digested.....tops off the glycogen.....no fuss....no muss. 

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Just bought three boxes of Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts from Target.  Damn good.

Sweet potato, larabar and raisins.  My new paleo gig.

My wife makes sausage muffins that are essentially a sausage biscuit but all mixed together before baking. They taste great and have some carbs and some protein. I have been testing those out before long runs for 3 weeks and so far I like it. I think this will be my pre-marathon snack before Rocket City:

2 Sausage muffins and a cup of coffee. 90 minutes before start.

--

Nashville, TN

Best Present Ever

Oatmeal -- not instant -- and almond butter.  Or, if not in a place where I can make oatmeal, greek yogurt and Ezekial cereal.  

flatland mountaineer

I've only done half marathons so I just need one pop-tart 2 hrs or so before. Used to always try to do oatmeal w' raisins but logistics make it hard sometimes, now just do a pop-tart for most any race.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III