Quick Survey: pre-marathon meal. Go! (Read 907 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I don't know, man. Sounds kinda dry.

Smile

steph  

xhristopher

Well it varies, but since I ran one today it's fresh in my mind. I had a pb&j&b (pb&j with sliced bananas added) about 90 minutes-2 hrs. before the race. It was a good choice.

Based on this post I had myself a pb&j&b for lunch this weekend. I really like peanut butter and I like bananas but did not realize the two together taste kinda nasty.

Well, then you'll never run a fast marath... oh, wait. Never mind.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Perky

Perky

Beer (of course) and something carbo-licious like pizza or pasta.  But the meal must be early -- like 530pm or so.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Bacon, scrambled egg, sausage, hash browns, baked beans, mushrooms, toast, coffee.  2 - 2.5hrs pre race.

Caveat: I dont' race well, but at least I've enjoyed my breakfast.

runnermom61

1/2 to 1 cup coffee with heavy cream, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, and 1 Equal (or Stevia) 1-2 hours before.  Nothing else. I'm eating a LCHF diet, so I can typically run at least 2 hours in the morning without eating anything.  1.5 to 2 hours into the race or training run, I'll have some Gu.

runnermom61

It IS delicious. And what I make most every morning. Just not usually at 4am.

On the road for a race (which I usually am), it's hard-boiled eggs and cold sausage + whatever produce I can scrounge from a local store if I'm not in a position to have packed my own.

Another item to try (if your hotel room has a microwave) -- Nitrate-free pre-cooked bacon from Trader Joe's.  Yum. 

BreadFan

Water

Coffee

Bagal

Banana

gel 10 minutes before the start.

xhristopher

Breakfeast burritto with lots of peppers and hot sauce. I chase it down with a Corona.

runnershawn

I have Special K cereal the kind with chocolate in it and glass of orange juice and cup of coffee.  Try to have that a few hours before every race, but for Boston it is like 3-3.5 hours because of getting to line early.  So I bring a banana and eat that an hour before.

Surveys were lame back in 2012, had to click back to the first page to see what the question was, what a waste of time.

Bagel with plain cream cheese.

Also, that is typically ALL that I eat the afternoon and evening before the marathon.  Kind of boring but it works for me and I never have GI issues with it.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals