Rookie marathon training questions (Read 1953 times)

This has been a great plan for me.  I've been doing the 18/55 since August for the CIM on December 4th.  So far I've really loved this training and I can definitely feel a big improvement in my running.  The tempo runs I'm doing now are much easier than those first couple at the beginning of the program.  The 3 20 milers went great for me and very happy that the plan called for 3.  In fact, I ended up going 21 last weekend instead of the 20.  I felt great and decided to run that last mile at my goal MP.

One piece of advice I'd give...definitely start incorporating core strength exercises and some type of leg strengthening into your routine.  During this marathon training, I've been doing 30 minutes of core work 3x a week, and leg strengthening 2x a week.  Last year when I was training for my first marathon, I was pretty much done the rest of the day after one of my long runs.  This year, I've felt great and went about my day like I didn't even do a long run.  I truly believe it's because of the core and leg work I've done to get my body ready to handle the long mileage and much more intense training plan this time around.

Thanks, that is encouraging.  I've been wondering if 3 20-milers is really needed, not to mention 18 with 14 @MP.

Also, 3x1600@5k sounds pretty intense 11 days before the goal race.

Thanks, that is encouraging.  I've been wondering if 3 20-milers is really needed, not to mention 18 with 14 @MP.

Also, 3x1600@5k sounds pretty intense 11 days before the goal race.

I felt the 14 @ mp was a great tune up run.  I ended up doing 15 just because and was able to maintain my MP goal.  Definitely a confidence booster, but more importantly, I could tell how much stronger my body was and how much stronger my endurance has become from the time I started this training.

I'll let you know December 4th how this marathon goes for me compared to last year.  I was looking at my mileage comparison during my training last year and my training this year and I've already put in 223 more miles this year.  And that includes much more tempo runs and VO2 max then I've ever done before.

I do agree with you on the 3 x 1600 @ 5K.  I have that next week.  I'm still wondering what I'm going to do for that.  I may run one 1600 @ 10K pace, and the other two around my HM pace.  I also feel that run may be a little too intense and unnecessary that close to the marathon.