marathon cut off times need to change to increase good health (Read 424 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Someone brought this whole shag/sag thing to her attention on Twitter, but she still things it's about shagging baseballs. I feel like someone told her this as a story (I've never heard it called anything besides the slow bus so I initially believed it!) and she just went with it instead of doing the research. Just googling shag wagon for running comes up with nothing; sag wagon has a ton of links. Seems pretty obvious.

I sent her a friendly note on the topic. I wonder if this will get a NYT correction at some point. EVERYONE HOLD YOUR BREATH.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

bhearn

At Spartathlon the sag wagon is called the Death Bus. And at Burning Man, the shag bus is called the Orgy Bus.

If the manfromnantucket were a race director, I have a feeling a shag bus would be one of the amenities.

I have heard of a shag wagon, which serves a very different purpose than a sag bus.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

T Hound

Slower but happier

...Vol State it’s called the “meat wagon” or so I’m told.

At Spartathlon the sag wagon is called the Death Bus. And at Burning Man, the shag bus is called the Orgy Bus.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

Just chalk it up to fake news.  Sag stands for “support and gear”  Shag wagon for running would be a whole different kind of sport.  Supporting arguments with a reference to “shagging balls” well what that means depends on context.  (Can’t help but hear Austin Powers “yeah baby” in my ear when writing this)

Maybe go undercover infiltrate the “shag wagon culture” and write up a piece.  That would be something worth reading...

Someone brought this whole shag/sag thing to her attention on Twitter, but she still things it's about shagging baseballs. I feel like someone told her this as a story (I've never heard it called anything besides the slow bus so I initially believed it!) and she just went with it instead of doing the research. Just googling shag wagon for running comes up with nothing; sag wagon has a ton of links. Seems pretty obvious.

I sent her a friendly note on the topic. I wonder if this will get a NYT correction at some point. EVERYONE HOLD YOUR BREATH.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/02/london-marathon-runners-harassed-to-speed-up

So due to the delay at the start, was this pacers group getting screwed by the time limits to close the roads coming due? Being asked to move off the road sounds like they ran out of time.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

catwhoorg

Labrat

So due to the delay at the start, was this pacers group getting screwed by the time limits to close the roads coming due? Being asked to move off the road sounds like they ran out of time.

The clean-up crew was ahead of their schedule. Guess they just wanted to be done with the job.

This year was the first year that the London marathon specifically requested pacers for the slower times, and its pretty awful how the race organization has treated them.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Having 7:30 pacers is just beyond ridiculous....you aren’t even running at that pace.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

BeeRunB

Having 7:30 pacers is just beyond ridiculous....you aren’t even running at that pace.

You're correct, these days I'm actually passed out at that pace.

Brilliant

This year was the first year that the London marathon specifically requested pacers for the slower times, and its pretty awful how the race organization has treated them.

Both of these statements can be true.  I agree that marathons shouldn't have 7:30 pacers.  But once they provided a 7:30 pacer, the race organizers should have treated those participants the same as the runners.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The 2:20:00  marathoner is probably thinking the same thing about you needing a 2:50 pacer.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Physically it is not harder but mentally is total exhausting. My BQ time was much easier than my 8 hour finish in Utah. The high was 90F with absolutely  no shade on paved roads.

Having been at both ends of this range, sub-3:00 and over 6:00 over a 50 year running career, I do not agree with this statement.  Certainly the slower runners work longer, but at a much less intense effort, so it is not harder.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The 2:20:00  marathoner is probably thinking the same thing about you needing a 2:50 pacer.

They're not.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah whatever buddy. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)