marathon cut off times need to change to increase good health (Read 424 times)

ELnEC

there are lots of people out there that want to get into running, and a big incentive is to run a marathon. but sadly when a overweight person sees ridiculous cut of times, they just give up. change the cut off on all marathons to 8 hours, and get lots of overweight and unhealthy people on the streets running, and put the fun back into the run to make this world have more healthy people out there enjoying life to the full

This wouldn't have anything to do with the Paphos marathon, and corrupt officials cutting courses, would it?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm piling on, but....

cut-off times in races are not for the purpose of discouraging or discriminating against slower runners.

They exist because it costs a lot of $ to close roads for races - the longer the road is closed, the more the race pays.  And some jurisdictions simply won't allow the roads to be closed for more than a set period of time - in DC, that's a major issue.  The requirements of the race are balanced against the needs of the non-running community.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The title of the thread doesn’t even make any sense. If you can’t run a marathon in 6 hours or under then I’d say it’s bad for your health. Very selfish attitude to expect volunteers to hang around ALL day just because someone wants to run a bucket list marathon without putting the REAL hard work in....the training.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm piling on, but....

cut-off times in races are not for the purpose of discouraging or discriminating against slower runners.

They exist because it costs a lot of $ to close roads for races - the longer the road is closed, the more the race pays.  And some jurisdictions simply won't allow the roads to be closed for more than a set period of time - in DC, that's a major issue.  The requirements of the race are balanced against the needs of the non-running community.

In addition to the fact that a lot of races donate proceeds to charity. The later the cut-off, the less money they can charitably give.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PDoe

First, decide if  you want to run 26.2 miles or if you want to race 26.2 miles. One doesn't need enter an organized race if the goal is just to complete a 26.2 mile run. Make your own course. Search out a certified race route and run it if you want to get picky about the distance. But a "race" is just that. Please don't denigrate those who understand the difference.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What if Simone is actually Sport Jester? 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

rlopez

What if Simone is actually Sport Jester? 

Nah. I think there's an ESL thing going on here and there's definitely a lack of word count to be our buddy.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Not sure if they still have it, but you could raise a bunch of money for the Avon 39.3 challenge. Walk 26.2 day 1, then 13.1 day 2.

Like someone mentioned, there are fixed time races. Some give recognition at various points (marathon, 50k, 50 miles, etc).

Races also need to consider the conditions. So while they could advertise a 6 hour cut off, if there is a thunderstorm, high heat/humidity or other event, they can re-route everyone and stop the timing for everyone still on the course.

M_M_C

If you're overweight and are trying to get into running, you shouldn't start with a marathon. Start with a 5k and build into it

there are lots of people out there that want to get into running, and a big incentive is to run a marathon. but sadly when a overweight person sees ridiculous cut of times, they just give up. change the cut off on all marathons to 8 hours, and get lots of overweight and unhealthy people on the streets running, and put the fun back into the run to make this world have more healthy people out there enjoying life to the full

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

Y'all are missing the point.  "Cut off times need to change to increase good health"    I agree.  Make the cut off times faster not slower to mandate a minimum fitness level.  People who want to get fit will work for it . Those that don't won't be impacted because they won't put in the work to begin with.   They just want a lower standard for "running".  There are plenty of walking events with slower cut off times already.

Seattle prattle

Y'all are missing the point.  "Cut off times need to change to increase good health"    I agree.  Make the cut off times faster not slower to mandate a minimum fitness level.  People who want to get fit will work for it . Those that don't won't be impacted because they won't put in the work to begin with.   They just want a lower standard for "running".  There are plenty of walking events with slower cut off times already.

I think you're onto something here. But let's scratch the health aspect.

Qualifying for an event does bring with it some satisfaction and feeling of achievement. The Boston Marathon qualifiers are nothing short of a fixation. Making a qualifying time is almost as noteworthy as completing the actual race. How astounding is that?!

I bet you that if a local race, like a 5K, announced that you had to be 75% or better age graded to enter the race, the race would soon become the gold standard for self-respecting runners. The race would assume a level of importance in a vast field of races that largely mean next to nothing.

Just thinking out loud...

simone1023

I have been running since 77 and have never run longer than 15 miles.

i only run for health and will never run a marathon.

running a marathon being overweight is not healthy

i need to drop 25 pounds myself.

a lot of people come on the tv before london marathon, having lost weight running. there is an obese problem in lots of countries around the world

simone1023

I'm piling on, but....

yes totally understand they are paying to  keep roads closed. but london and manchester close roads for 8 hours, that is why they get so many runners. and alot of them are unhealthy before they start training for marathon. for some reason alot of people only start running for a marathon fact i am afraid. personally i thnk this is dangerous. i have run for 30 years before running marathon

simone1023

hang on a minute hitler,i may be slow at running a marathon, but that doesnt mean im not fitter than you.if you think you are an elite runner go for a ultra run, or are you just a talker.marathons are supposed to be fun and for everyone, which the manchester and london marathon embrace. marathons are not made for running snobs like you who believe you are better than anyone else on course. take your head out of your arse for a minute and stop being so arrogant

simone1023

The title of the thread doesn’t even make any sense. If you can’t run a marathon in 6 hours or under then I’d say it’s bad for your health. Very selfish attitude to expect volunteers to hang around ALL day just because someone wants to run a bucket list marathon without putting the REAL hard work in....the training.

people who run for over 6 hours like me, have to actually work harder to finish and could well be fitter than you. i have ran for over 35 years, so what you have said is total rubbish.selfish for volunteers, oh really so the perks of volunteering must be new to you free meal and drink,lol      and you say i didnt put the hard work in something else that is rubbish running 9 miles every wednesday, 17 miles every sunday for 5 months mr know it all.. think before you talk next time