marathon cut off times need to change to increase good health (Read 424 times)

mikeymike

Indeed. And sometimes a verve pipe is a literal pipe made out of literal verve.

Runners run

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've had that stupid song stuck in my head since I looked at this thread yesterday. And I had a college boyfriend who played it all the damn time.

dhuffman63

Trails

This has been my all time favorite....trolls, penis's, shitty songs, it's got it all.  I've been laughing all week.

berylrunner

Rick

Usually have to go to Letsrun for this kind of entertainment.   OP try your 2 posts there and let's see what happens.

I am with the others.  Move on.  You are not going to go far blaming others for your lack of training (or your friends, ha ha).  If you can admit that you were greatly under trained to even attempt a marathon then there are a lot of experienced runners here that can help you for your next one.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

At an ultra? Full meal deal, booze, and nekkid chicks. Man, it's the best.

First rule of Ultra

what happens at Ultra, stays at UItra

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

"run" "2" "eat"

i won't be held (responsible).

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

T Hound

Slower but happier

On Running and health-  its a J-curve with higher risk at either end. Too little or too much may be unhealthy.

The fellow who wants to reduce cutoff times to foster health would also need to limit some faster people if that were the goal!

On Trolls- what does it say about me that these are always my favorite threads...

On beloved SJ:no this does not fit with SJ’s work which has a nice helping of comparative anatomy.

On running 26.2.  Future interstellar archeologists will find all these inexplicable medals with 26.2 after global warming has destroyed us and all record as to why that particular number was worshipped by earth’s long extinct bipeds.  It should be obvious to anyone, they will remark, that moving a distance of 15.7 zorks by psuedopod locomotion is the true measure of an endurance feat (Excluding of course antigravity doping).

Boston- you mean after years of training and finally becoming a qualifier I would still have to run it to humble brag? Im out...

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Marylander

This is kind of related to the topic at hand and is probably of interest to many runners regardless...

Racing Heart: How Running Affects The Heart

T Hound

Slower but happier

This is kind of related to the topic at hand and is probably of interest to many runners regardless...

Racing Heart: How Running Affects The Heart

Interesting, thanks,  good article and reassuring.   Knowing cpr and checking race for aed seems prudent.  Or running as she did with an emergency physician! I always think of these large marathons have so many participants that surely if a similar population sitting on the couch watching a football game would have a number of cardiac arrests.

Troy.

hang on a minute hitler,i may be slow at running a marathon, but that doesnt mean im not fitter than you.

There are a lot of gems in this thread, but this one may be my favorite. I mean (a) Hitler, and (b) how exactly are we measuring fitness?

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

T Hound

Slower but happier

There are a lot of gems in this thread, but this one may be my favorite. I mean (a) Hitler, and (b) how exactly are we measuring fitness?

(A) It was “hitler” the dimnuitive form, I read it as affectionate...

(B)  Usain Bolt of course!  Master of the fast twitch.

Village people

This reminds me of a long ago RW thread asking what was harder, 15 minute 5k or 5 hour marathon if I remember correctly. That one got a lively conversation started.

I was thinking about that thread a few weeks ago.

T Hound

Slower but happier

I saw a similar thread in RA not too long ago along those lines. As someone who tends toward the slower/longer side of things, the answer is obvious to me, actually training/running a 5k scares the crap out of me.  I’m gauranteed 20+ minutes of pure suffering.  Running 5 hours is something I can wrap my head around and sign up for no problem.

I was thinking about that thread a few weeks ago.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Anyone read Marathon Investigation (and watch the video) and think of this thread?

MarathoninginMT

I actually had to clean the "laugh-spit" off my screen while reading this thread.  Thank you.  But man, 20 minutes of my life just went by.  I could have been watching Netflix.