marathon cut off times need to change to increase good health (Read 424 times)

bhearn

However, I see the Marathon Investigations work as "race-shaming" as much as people shaming.  And honestly, a lot of races needed to be shamed.

RnR certainly needs to be shamed. One recent case involved MI "outing" someone who'd run an RnR race for her first marathon (IIRC), followed the course marshals, crossed the finish line under the cutoff, received her award, and was proud and posted about it. Turns out RnR had turned some people around early on an out and back because otherwise they would have missed the cutoff. Did they tell them they hadn't run 26.2? No. But the runner gets the shame. Way to go, Derek, you taught her.

NorthNorthwest

A lot of what I see on MI reminds me of the age-old line from the Big Lebowski: "You're not wrong, Walter. You're just an asshole."

To the extent that some people become more wary of cheating, great. And some races - especially the larger ones with the resources (RnR...groan) - really should do more to prevent cheating and just be smarter about things like mat placement and course construction (so many problems caused by turnarounds). But his ends don't justify many of the means. I really could care less if Johnny Manziel's girlfriend cheated at a half marathon.

bhearn

I am all for catching cheaters when overall or AG awards are involved. To the extent that MI has raised overall awareness and prevented this from happening more (if it in fact has), I would have to concede that it's had some positive impact – to be weighed against many clear negative impacts.

Half Crazy K 2.0

RnR certainly needs to be shamed. One recent case involved MI "outing" someone who'd run an RnR race for her first marathon (IIRC), followed the course marshals, crossed the finish line under the cutoff, received her award, and was proud and posted about it. Turns out RnR had turned some people around early on an out and back because otherwise they would have missed the cutoff. Did they tell them they hadn't run 26.2? No. But the runner gets the shame. Way to go, Derek, you taught her.

Was it this one? I sort of skimmed it, but didn't really find it that interesting cause it was more about the behavior post race of the blogger than the race.

As far as missing mats in races, I thought it often drew MI scrutiny if you miss a mat AND have a jump in pace. Or in some cases, I think there have been people who miss the same mat year after year, usually on an out and back. Funny the chip worked every where else.

With Johnny Manziel's wife (I think now maybe ex), I'm sure some people have strong feeling about influencers getting free race entries. Often you see stuff where the person never mentions an activity, item, etc, but as soon as it's free, there is a sponsored post about how it is the best ever.

I really could care less if Johnny Manziel's girlfriend cheated at a half marathon.

Come on now, that was an entertaining one.

Dave

rlopez

With Johnny Manziel's wife (I think now maybe ex), I'm sure some people have strong feeling about influencers getting free race entries. Often you see stuff where the person never mentions an activity, item, etc, but as soon as it's free, there is a sponsored post about how it is the best ever.

I don't care about her (nor was I ever "influenced" by her... most online famous people are still unknown to me and have no influence), but I see what you are saying.

Here's the thing. People really ought to start questioning WHY Derek goes after the people he does. Is it random? Is he ignoring some in favor of others? This matters because Our Man is getting paid. Both by donations and also by a few race orgs. It's not all that different than wondering how an influencer decides to promote the stuff she/he promotes as "a good thing" (or "a bad thing"). He's mos def an "influencer" (though I don't think he should be) and magically, bam, he's going after someone. And not others.

And, at least once, he went after an entire race (Honolulu). At least in part because when he showed up in their inbox in that special way that he does, they told him to take a hike. So he decided to go after them.

I have been on various sides of law enforcement for 28 years (minus 8 in the middle where I worked at a little software company and only moonlighted in intelligence stuff)... and I'm here to tell you, if your reputation is going after folks in a vindictive way, you better be ready for some pushback. Because, well, it shouldn't have to be spelled out.

Plus, and most importantly, IT'S JUST RUNNING. Yo.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Exactly.  Cheating has consequences to other racers. I've seen awards given to people who cut the course, and it sucks.

I once witnessed a runner cut the course buy running across a narrow park in the Rock n' Roll DC marathon.  It probably only saved him about .25 miles, and I wondered why he even did it, but then I noticed he was wearing a Boston shirt, so maybe he was chasing precious seconds for a BQ.  ...

Maybe he knew from past experience that the course was about a quarter mile long, and he knew it was the same course this year, so he was just correcting it to be right.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Maybe he knew from past experience that the course was about a quarter mile long, and he knew it was the same course this year, so he was just correcting it to be right.

That made me laugh.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

T Hound

Slower but happier

More importantly what did the former Johnny “now goes by John” Manziel do to get banned for life from the Canadian Football Leauge?

I like the approach of the race I ran last week.  They said

“ we have game cameras set up off the trail.  If you show up in one of those, we have a problem”. Works for me!

In contrast vigilantes going after private individuals, I do think races that dont take this seriously should be called out, so people can “vote” with their entry fees.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

ELnEC

More importantly what did the former Johnny “now goes by John” Manziel do to get banned for life from the Canadian Football Leauge?

Speculation rampant up here.

Insufficiently apologetic in huddle?

Can’t count to 12?

Couldn’t find Regina?

Confused teammates and supermarket clerks with demands for turkey in Nomenber?

Conspired against Justin Trudeau with renegade Cabinet Minister?

Canada now also full?

I expect a Royal Commission to be convened any day now.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I hate that I looked up why John/Johnny Manziel got kicked out of the CFL. Apparently he violated the terms of an agreement about therapy & drug testing. Didn't say what due to privacy. But hey, he tried to make a come back, too bad that new American league folded.

With the cheating & outing cheaters, I have to wonder what the MI articles do to readership on the accused runners sites? Typically in the comments on MI, you get the comments in support of the runner. Then sometimes you get the long apology but not really apologizing post from the runner. Sometimes that is posted as a follow up on MI (with links).

I've seen bib swapping in small races. In one instance, the bib swapper "won" OA female. Only problem, the winner was a high school boy. The race actually gave him to award!  This was several years ago when tablets first started coming out, he won the freaking tablet. I never did another race by that race management group. In another instance, the swap was immediate outed publicly. The RD announced the winner of the women's 40-49 AG, many people yell back "she wasn't here". That one did affect me personally, bumped me from 2nd to 1st (super small race).

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

We didn't want him in Regina anyway. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

He's mos def 

If he truly is Mos Def, then all of you need to take a step back and respect the man. International rap icon, influencer on another level and taking down fakers in the running game? Damn

T Hound

Slower but happier

Like how this thread evolves.

1. Marathon cutoffs

2. Marathon investigation

3. Johnny Manziels wife (and her playboy model friend)

4. Johnny Manziel and the CFL

Following on what Krazy Half said...How about bib selling/swapping, any takers?  Pros cons (besides noted above). should it be allowed, is it a missed opportunity for races to profit or would it just be a drag on their limited resources. Would it allow more to run?  Have u every bought a grey market bib? Would you ?  I havent. Maybe I would, not sure, but I dont have to worry about bumping people of the podium 🥴

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

ELnEC

Like how this thread evolves.

1. Marathon cutoffs

1(a). Verve Pipe

2. Marathon investigation

3. Johnny Manziels wife (and her playboy model friend)

4. Johnny Manziel and the CFL