I'm bored, tell me something I don't know (Read 1124 times)

I don't REALLY wrestle Alligators for a living.

It is traditional Peruvian custom (pre-Spanish) for all the single men and women in a village to get together at social gatherings once per year. At these gatherings the single men of marriage age are expected to kidnap the single women (these days with consent of the woman's parents) and live with her for a year. After living together for one year the couple either decides to get married or to break up. If the couple has a baby in that year together and they do not marry the baby is raised by the pair of grandparents.

gusgordon

The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the beat.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If you push down the sustaining pedal on a piano and play one C key (like middle C), all the other C strings in the piano will also vibrate. Works with the other notes as well.

The viola d'amore capitalizes on this "sympathetic vibration" phenomenon.  It has seven strings that are played with a bow, and seven additional strings that are not touched, but add their resonance to the sound.

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

If you push down the sustaining pedal on a piano and play one C key (like middle C), all the other C strings in the piano will also vibrate. Works with the other notes as well.

Harmonic resonance?

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

The two tenor drones and single bass drone on the Great Highland Bagpipe are tuned to the Low A note on the chanter.

More often than not Pipers will tune the end tenor drone to the Low A and then tune the second tenor and bass drone to that pipe.

NorNev

Cops can smell weed even if your windows are rolled up and the air conditioning is on

xor

Cops can smell weed even if your windows are rolled up and the air conditioning is on

HOWEVER. If you turn up your music really loud and crank the bass, this blocks the stench.

Chasing the bus

The viola d'amore capitalizes on this "sympathetic vibration" phenomenon.  It has seven strings that are played with a bow, and seven additional strings that are not touched, but add their resonance to the sound.

This instrument, then, would seem to be the inspiration for the fictional Antagonistic Undecagonstring (or elevenstring), from Iain M. Banks latest, "The Hydrogen Sonata".  http://www.amazon.com/The-Hydrogen-Sonata-Iain-Banks/dp/0316212377/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355200907&sr=8-1&keywords=the+hydrogen+sonata

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                    Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

The human head weighs 8 lbs, dogs and bees can smell fear, and my next door neighbor has two rabbits (one died).

Buelligan

I'm thinking my head weighs more than 8 pounds...

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

I'm thinking my head weighs more than 8 pounds...

You've got a shot put for a head?

The French designed Gallet Fire Fighter's Helmet offers greater protection and balance than more conventional designs.

Strangely the original leather fire helmets as used by NYC and Boston before the mandates for greater impact protection preceded development of the construction worker's hard hat.

The British designed steel helmet of WW! was based upon a midieval helmet of similar design. The U.S. adopted the same design and used a superior grade of steel for penetration resistance.

The British during WWI did not know that German Steelworking was capable of creating a far superior helmet design for protection.

The American M1 helmet of WWII was a direct result of the German design and the need for greater protection, Using the outer steel shell as a cooking pot weakens the metal.

The German Stahlhelm design was used by firefighters well into the 1980's.

oriwoi

Hollie S.

Merry Christmas!

The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle

The "spot" on the 7-up logo is from the inventor who had red eyes. He was an albino.

On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents each day.

It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery had in it to begin with.

The electric chair was invented by a dentist

Every year 4 people in the UK die putting their trousers on

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit

The average chocolate bar has 8 insect legs melted into it-good thing I don't eat candy

Right handed people, on average, live 9 years longer than left handed people.

Banging your head against the wall consistently for an hour burns 150 calories.

I wish I was as young as I look in the forum picture! But I'm not. :(

xor

The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle

y a tittle?