I'm bored, tell me something I don't know (Read 1124 times)

San Diego.  Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means "a whale's vagina".

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

San Diego.  Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means "a whale's vagina".

Yep, I didn't know that.

Hollie S.

Merry Christmas!

Okay..........well then.

I wish I was as young as I look in the forum picture! But I'm not. :(

JML

Mountain Gorillas get drunk by eating bamboo.  There apparently is some small amount of alcohol in thre bamboo and they are lightweights.   The 180 lb juvenile below had been severely overserved when he ran over and playfully fell at my feet after I took this photo in Rwanda a few years ago.  We met his 350 pound dad a few minutes later who had also been 'drinking'.   Nothing says fun like a drunk Gorilla.

Juvenile Male Gorilla

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Feeling the growl again

Cancer is not a disease.  It is not a clustering of diseases (breast cancer, lung cancer, colorectal cancer, etc).  In fact, more than 100 distinct types of cancer have been identified.  There are at least 7 different types of breast cancer alone, and as understanding of underlying genetics and epigenetics increases these subgroups will likely be further divided into smaller groups of patients with distinct mechanisms driving their cancer.  Further, within an individual patient, there are multiple subclones within their tumor vying for dominence and any therapy selects for the most resistant and aggressive subclone.

Therefore, there will never be a "cure for cancer".  The more we learn about cancer through techniques such as next-gen sequencing and multiple biopsy genomics, the more we are humbled by the plasticity and adaptibilty of the disease(s).  Like guerilla warfare, victories will be hard-fought and successes limited to small battlefields, advancing one small step at a time.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Lane

Yep, I didn't know that.

You need to do a bit more fact checking - try googling "San Diego Whale Vagina".

Hollie S.

Merry Christmas!

A seventy-five year old person will have slept on average 23 years

The average woman spends two and a half years doing hair and makeup in her life

The average person spends two weeks waiting for the traffic light to change

250 people have fallen off the Leaning Tower of Pisa

Men's clothes button on the right, and women's clothes button on the left.

On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.

I wish I was as young as I look in the forum picture! But I'm not. :(

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

The city of Dayton Ohio was chosen as the location for the Peace Accords ending the Yugoslavian Civil War as there are much fewer distractions there for the politicians to get drunk in.

Tunisia is a predominately Islamic country that has a Brewery. Although the beer it produces really doesn't have much of a market....Doesn't taste all that good either.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

gusgordon

I have always thought I was above average.  This proves it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You need to do a bit more fact checking - try googling "San Diego Whale Vagina".

And they lied to me in Spanish class.

Haven't had the nerve to Do the Google yet.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I was at that light the other day.

Maggie & Molly

The cartilage in my nose is split giving me what I affectionately call "nasal cleavage"

and I have no cartliage at all in mine.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Jumping spiders have the best vision in the bug world- they have binocular vision (I think) and will turn this way and that to get  a good look at a human who is watching them.  They are quite curious and not creepy at all- at least the medium sized ones.

A Saucy Wench

Most people can move around and do manual tasks in the dark better with their eyes closed than their eyes open.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zonykel

Banana slugs do not eat bananas. They are named that way because of their color.